Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point being it wasn’t as competitive, was the top two, then top 4, then top six. Like I say City, Chelsea and Spurs were “chaff”.

To an extent I agree with you, The Uefa Cup should be a four year target, it was year 4 as I said when Moyes achieved Europe. Therefore logic dictates this manager deserves the opportunity to incrementally build as Moyes did.

This manager has achieved similar to Moyes at an even smaller club, coming from a lower base, with tighter margins, the only thing separating them is the trophy Moyes win last year and he’s a decade or two further into his career. Your right though Moyes is good manager.
In Moyes’ first four full seasons with us, Chelsea finished 4th, 2nd, 1st, 1st

Different league back then mate, Chelsea weren't Chelsea, City were barley promoted, Spurs were flaky etc, its a lot more competitive now.

We're in a league of the bottom 10 in my opiniion this year, the closer we get to the top the better we've done.
Yeah, Chelsea were actually stronger, also villa were outspending us. When Man City came along, that was when villa stopped spending seeing that their path to top 4 was blocked.
We were regularly the lowest salary in the league. Moyes did well. And Dyche in my opinion is on the right track.
Dyche's comments on substations really concern me.

Successful clubs understand that it is a squad that wins matches, not a first eleven.

It is about using all of the possibilities that are available in the 98 minutes or so that PL matches now usually last, ensuring maximum mental and physical feeshness on the pitch.

Waiting for a tired defender to make a mistake near the end of a game before deciding to bring on a sub in the 90th minute is ridiculous.

Sorry Seán, you need to change this thinking. But are you prepared to do so?
In fairness I think he has talked about having a small knit team to survive this season, and then building a larger squad beyond this.
I don’t think he thinks the bench is strong enough

In Moyes’ first four full seasons with us, Chelsea finished 4th, 2nd, 1st, 1st

I think it was in year 2 or 3, when Abramovich took over they became out of our reach really as in - no one could compete with the money they were spending and the subsequent growth. When did Mourinho arrive about 2004.

Were Leeds knocking around back then too, you forget how big they were for a few years, Newcastle werent bad under Robson either if my memory is right and its the same time.

Its an interesting debate on whether the gap was bigger then or now..........

Last edited:
I think it was in year 2 or 3, when Abramovich took over they became out of our reach really as in - no one could compete with the money they were spending and the subsequent growth. When did Mourinho arrive about 2004.

Were Leeds knocking around back then too, you forget how big they were for a few years, Newcastle werent bad under Robson either if my memory is right and its the same time.

Leeds had been up there for a few seasons before Moyes arrived, but finished 15th in 2003 and relegated the following year.

One thing that is often forgotten about that time is that whilst they did go and spend mad on the first team squad when Roman took control they also invested heavily in the youth setup and youth talent and had some of the best youth coaches working with them.

Yeah, Chelsea were actually stronger, also villa were outspending us. When Man City came along, that was when villa stopped spending seeing that their path to top 4 was blocked.
We were regularly the lowest salary in the league. Moyes did well. And Dyche in my opinion is on the right track.

In fairness I think he has talked about having a small knit team to survive this season, and then building a larger squad beyond this.
I don’t think he thinks the bench is strong enough

Dyche is on the right track to what? He's shown zero promise othet than to crawl along the bottom.

Perfect time to get rid of him if we lose today. Two weeks off before 9 games in just over a month.

If we lose today, 11 points from 12 games is absolutely shambolic, especially from the fixtures we've had.

I know his job isn't under threat at all, but he's really not done anywhere near good enough with the players at his disposal.

Win lose or draw he should be sacked. Take out the promoted three and that shows its own story of how we are performing relative to other clubs.

Perfect time to get rid of him if we lose today. Two weeks off before 9 games in just over a month.

If we lose today, 11 points from 12 games is absolutely shambolic, especially from the fixtures we've had.

I know his job isn't under threat at all, but he's really not done anywhere near good enough with the players at his disposal.
Go on, I'll bite and take you seriously...if you can answer this.

Who then...and installed in time for the next game ?

Not my job to say.

Why doesn't the club have a shortlist of managers in case the results don't pick up? It's unlikely the bottom three will be so poor for the entire season, they'll pick up random unexpected wins here and there. We're on a point a game.

What about if/when we get a point deduction? Dyche's point a game will relegate us.

Not my job to say.
All hail to the cop out king
Why doesn't the club have a shortlist of managers in case the results don't pick up? It's unlikely the bottom three will be so poor for the entire season, they'll pick up random unexpected wins here and there. We're on a point a game.
Some are on 0.6
What about if/when we get a point deduction? Dyche's point a game will relegate us.
Not happening this season at least

I believe this sums up Dyche so far. I also believe he has done reasonably well considering.

'After the traumas of the last two campaigns, Sean Dyche is making measurable improvements to his side. Despite operating on a shoestring budget against a background of financial chaos, he is giving fans a tantalising glimpse of a brighter future.'

I believe this sums up Dyche so far. I also believe he has done reasonably well considering.

'After the traumas of the last two campaigns, Sean Dyche is making measurable improvements to his side. Despite operating on a shoestring budget against a background of financial chaos, he is giving fans a tantalising glimpse of a brighter future.'
He’s such a tease, he learned that from his time working in bars during the evening and playing football during the day. Different world back then, only top professionals could make a decent living from kicking a ball.

Last edited:

Was quite impressed with FC Copenhagen when I’ve watched them recently. Managed by a young Scandinavian, I think he’d be worth a look at.

The top teams have philosophies that stay put and tactics that are changed for the players that they have, remember that Pep suddenly played 5 CBs and said that Walker was surplus. The managers are stubborn with philosophies, not tactics.

Formations are only part of tactics. High press, deep block, midfield overloads, counter attacks...these are all tactics that are employed regardless of formation.

Pep didn't sit back and defend with 5 CBs, didn't change the way they played. It doesn't matter who Pep puts out there or where he puts them, they essentially employ the same tactics.

Dyche hasn't changed tactics at Everton just because they're in a 4-5-1 now. He has this squad playing essentially the same way they did at Burnley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back