2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home form will do for him when we are eventually in a position to think about changing manager. It's simply not acceptable to have the worst home return in a calendar year in our history (even if a few of those were Fan-friendly Frank's).

I don’t like how we play. How we play has been fairly effective though. The results should catch up if we keep doing it and try to improve where we can. It’s impossible to say if it’ll be enough when the points are being taken away but if they aren’t it definitely will be. We might be fine anyway on account of some other sides being exceptionally bad.

I don’t like how we play. How we play has been fairly effective though. The results should catch up if we keep doing it and try to improve where we can. It’s impossible to say if it’ll be enough when the points are being taken away but if they aren’t it definitely will be. We might be fine anyway on account of some other sides being exceptionally bad.
My biggest concern is how his rigidity (be that out of choice/preference, necessity or his limitations) mean that we can only play one way - counter-attack.

While this has shown success away from home, we're not playing in a way at home that generates the results. We've got one way, and that's it.

Now don't me wrong, this squad has limitations and that may play into his thinking somewhat, but surely it's worth making some adaptations to our home game.

Teams sit deep, let us have the ball, and we end up just going side to side, back and forth without really looking threatening for large swathes of a game.

Again, admittedly, we do make some chances, and they should be getting buried, but that's often because teams have enough players back.

For me, we have to do something different at home. My son's U8 side can do it, so I do think it's not impossible for some professionals, albeit it may be difficult.

Home form will do for him when we are eventually in a position to think about changing manager. It's simply not acceptable to have the worst home return in a calendar year in our history (even if a few of those were Fan-friendly Frank's).
Only two were down to Lampard, Dyche has lost the other 9, including today

Even today we made a load of chances and should have went in level at the break. It's not he easiest on the eye, but as you say it is the most effective football we've seen for a while.

My worry going forward is the point deduction getting stuck in our heads and affecting performances. We can't afford a few weeks to sort things out given we're already 5 points behind Luton.

Even today we made a load of chances and should have went in level at the break. It's not he easiest on the eye, but as you say it is the most effective football we've seen for a while.

My worry going forward is the point deduction getting stuck in our heads and affecting performances. We can't afford a few weeks to sort things out given we're already 5 points behind Luton.
Bound to play on there minds

My biggest concern is how his rigidity (be that out of choice/preference, necessity or his limitations) mean that we can only play one way - counter-attack.

While this has shown success away from home, we're not playing in a way at home that generates the results. We've got one way, and that's it.

Now don't me wrong, this squad has limitations and that may play into his thinking somewhat, but surely it's worth making some adaptations to our home game.

Teams sit deep, let us have the ball, and we end up just going side to side, back and forth without really looking threatening for large swathes of a game.

Again, admittedly, we do make some chances, and they should be getting buried, but that's often because teams have enough players back.

For me, we have to do something different at home. My son's U8 side can do it, so I do think it's not impossible for some professionals, albeit it may be difficult.
Don’t disagree, we should be trying to develop the passing game more and that’s the part I don’t like about how we play. I do think the part about the chances is the key though. It can work better and in time it should. We were desperately unlucky to not score once again and while there is some skill level issue there we aren’t this bad at finishing. I mean they can’t be. They’re still PL players.

I saw us playing out from the back more often and kicking it long less so I’m happy with that aspect of our game becoming more prevalent. And it shows Dyche and the coaching staff realise that we have to keep possession better and stop giving it away as cheaply as we have previously. I think when Onana returns to the midfield (and I think Gana has been decent the last couple of games) it’ll be even more beneficial to the team to keep playing in this manner.
He has to make a decision on Young.
He also needs to start looking at playing 3/4/2/1 at home against teams at around our level. Be more offensive at home and take the game to the opposition and still be solid in midfield and at the back. I also think this system may well suit Danjuma and Harrison better than the 4/4/1/1. It should also allow more support for DCL (or Beto).

They’ve been surprisingly adept at getting into the positions this year imo. From guys like Gana and Doucoure who haven’t been known for it their entire careers too.
I think the number of chances we make and the relative quality of them (err, hate to say xG) suggest you’re correct. We’ve had the opportunities.

But how many times can we say ‘we’re unlucky’ et al. before accepting there’s a root cause. Too many times we’ve been wasteful this season.

Is it the quality of the players? Is it the tactics? The coaching? A lack of confidence or burdened with expectation? Maybe it’s a bit of all.

Nevertheless, it’s for Dyche to fix, and if he doesn’t then he’s culpable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back