2023/24 Sean Dyche

Yes

Almost sure it happened either side of the world cup last season.

Leicester 0-2
Wolves 1-2
Brighton 1-4
Southampton 1-2

We did avoid 5 in a row by beating Arsenal though. But Lampard was sacked due to those defeats, so Dyche should rightly be under a lot of scrutiny. His predecessor was sacked for a very similar run of form.

Interesting the manager was sacked after that run.

Wonder if we ever have lost 4 on the spin at Goodison before then.

[Edit]

Just found. This is how rare it is;

21 shots on target in those three games. Fulham, Luton and Wolves had 6, scoring 4 goals collectively. That to me isn’t Dyche setting us up to lose. The stats disagree. It’s the players simply not being good enough to score the goals.

It's difficult isn't it, I have this argument plenty of times in our group chat. XG, chances created, performances, all great indicators but they dont win points or trophies.

I sit in the top balcony and I can tell you now, every game I have seen the set up is wrong, the best half of football I've seen for a long time was against Villa. Dont get me wrong, it's great having Dom back and scoring and I think that'll go a long way, but you could see against Luton, something isn't right.

I dont so much think he is setting us up to lose, but I dont think he's giving himself the best chance to win.

I am literally not interested in performances, XG or anything at the moment, only points.

Until Dyche changes the "story" he is judged on points on the board.

[Edit]

I mean, surely he couldn't survive if this carries on, no idea who makes the calls now - but there has to be a level of intelligence about 777 investment and what Moshiri is doing.

[Edit]

Not sure if this is correct, but it appears to have been 1958 since it last happened, now it has happened twice in 9 months....

If ever a stat showed a team trending towards relegation, then this is surely it....

EDIT: just saw your post before. You beat me to it!

... as I've said loads, I expect us to fight relegation this season.

I think the team we have are relegation fodder.

After Arsenal, I was suggesting calm - suggesting fans wait until Bournemouth. After Bournemouth there as an international break.

I expected to lose to Brentford, and Villa.

I expected us to beat Luton.

We're in better position, after Arsenal, than I expected - same level of points, but still in the cup.

But that Luton game... I've never been so infuriated with a result, and Everton manager as that. Absolutely appalling.

We can't stay up with this home form;

Everton 0-1 Fulham
Everton 0-1 Wolves
Everton 0-1 Arsenal
Everton 1-2 Luton Town

^ I've asked before, but does anyone know if we've ever lost 4 home games on the spin at Goodison since the Prem started?

Look at the opposition there too - there's 9 points there we've absolutely pissed away.

Does my head in what we've become. Commentator kept saying during Forest vs Brentford how Brentford losing to Everton was a real shock to the system etc.

Since Koeman, and Allardyce, Benitez and Dyche we've become proper no marks of the league. And we have this manager setting us up to not lose at home to Luton Town.

The thing is, full-backs aside, I don't think out best XI is relegation fodder... certainly levels above Luton, Sheff Utd and Burnley's.

Besides the Villa game, I don't think we've ever been set up perfectly for the players we have available and I think it's cause Dyche doesn't trust the full-backs.

21 shots on target in those three games. Fulham, Luton and Wolves had 6, scoring 4 goals collectively. That to me isn’t Dyche setting us up to lose. The stats disagree. It’s the players simply not being good enough to score the goals.
Against Luton we had 23 chances but only 4 on target, at this level of the game (and at home) that is just woeful imo. When we are posting numbers like this then the following week he needs to be getting those midfielders/forwards and making them practice shooting drills over and over again until it drives them utterly nuts. It's basic coaching and player development, we also shouldn't be playing 4-4-1-1 at home against Luton that's far too negative imo, they lined up 3-4-3 which when they went forward at times they had a 2+2 box shape in the middle against Gana and Onana which at times left us 4 vs 2 in the middle. It's all too simple and too easy to play against for the opposition, ffs getting beat at home by Luton is just unthinkable imo.

The thing is, full-backs aside, I don't think out best XI is relegation fodder... certainly levels above Luton, Sheff Utd and Burnley's.

Besides the Villa game, I don't think we've ever been set up perfectly for the players we have available and I think it's cause Dyche doesn't trust the full-backs.

Think this is one of the reasons (Michael Keane aside) the villa game was good, the fullbacks weren't focused solely on defending and getting out with a draw.

It's difficult isn't it, I have this argument plenty of times in our group chat. XG, chances created, performances, all great indicators but they dont win points or trophies.

I sit in the top balcony and I can tell you now, every game I have seen the set up is wrong, the best half of football I've seen for a long time was against Villa. Dont get me wrong, it's great having Dom back and scoring and I think that'll go a long way, but you could see against Luton, something isn't right.

I dont so much think he is setting us up to lose, but I dont think he's giving himself the best chance to win.

I am literally not interested in performances, XG or anything at the moment, only points.

Until Dyche changes the "story" he is judged on points on the board.
I honestly think xG does more harm to the debate than good.

It removes all nuance and human observation from the concept of what represents a good chance. A header two yards out might be an xG, but not if the player is only able to get a glancing contact because the cross was far too high.

It’s far easier to increase your xG than it is to increase your goals. So I think it’s an easy trap to look at xG and say “well, we were just unlucky. We’ll be better next time.”

But the point is, we’re not better next time. Certainly not at home, which is where we need to rack up results.

It removes all nuance and human observation from the concept of what represents a good chance. A header two yards out might be an xG, but not if the player is only able to get a glancing contact because the cross was far too high.

It’s far easier to increase your xG than it is to increase your goals. So I think it’s an easy trap to look at xG and say “well, we were just unlucky. We’ll be better next time.”

But the point is, we’re not better next time. Certainly not at home, which is where we need to rack up results.

Yeah 100% mate, it's an indicator but the actual definition of the XG still leaves lots to be desired for me.

Like I say, XG, performances and details I am not interested in - points, games won and moving in the right direction.

I don't feel like Dyche is capable of this at the moment personally, its clear there's issues in set up - and he isn't solving that problem.

The game should have been won in the first twenty five minutes with the chances that were created. Luton figured out quickly that Ashley Young was the weak link and focused on that with good effect.

After that we were poor and probably got what we deserved.

I didn't think the manager was under pressure after losing at home to Arsenal but losing last Saturday certainly will have heaped pressure back on him.

Next Saturday is a huge game for him now.

The more you reflect on that defeat on Saturday, the harder it becomes to justify. If we'd not beaten Brentford last weekend, I think there is a chance he could have gone Saturday night / yesterday.

I'm still not sure what sacking him achieves in the long run given I have zero faith in him being replaced adequately. But if we lose (or even fail to win, tbh) against Bournemouth, I'm not sure what message it sends out if we allow him to carry on. I've backed him as well, but Luton at home ffs?

There is actually a massive flaw with it but when you try and explain it to people some 'folk' they get very offended

Against Luton we had 23 chances but only 4 on target, at this level of the game (and at home) that is just woeful imo. When we are posting numbers like this then the following week he needs to be getting those midfielders/forwards and making them practice shooting drills over and over again until it drives them utterly nuts. It's basic coaching and player development, we also shouldn't be playing 4-4-1-1 at home against Luton that's far too negative imo, they lined up 3-4-3 which when they went forward at times they had a 2+2 box shape in the middle against Gana and Onana which at times left us 4 vs 2 in the middle. It's all too simple and too easy to play against for the opposition, ffs getting beat at home by Luton is just unthinkable imo.
I agree with all of the points. I think we should be playing 4/3/3 personally. Danjuma should be playing aswell and McNeil and DCL.