2023/24 Sean Dyche

I can't get my head around 2 right backs being on the bench yet he plays a centre half who can't actually play football with the ball at his feet.

It instantly nullifys anything at all we can offer down that side.
It's a major reason why we can't build attacks. Godfrey has no idea what to when he has the ball higher up the field

I think with 30 points tactics might be a bit different, Defence and organisation is good. Composure on the ball is lacking. I thought we looked better when Onana come on. Godfrey did some timely defending but his ball retention is not at the standard required at this level. What’s annoying is when we get it on the deck we can open teams up. If we get a favourable outcome with the appeal I think the team will take the shackles off more.

The number of furious calls for Dobbin to come on to offer counter pace all over the internet is incredible really. Frustration yes, loads of it, and the players should be able to manage that game out. The fanbase is totally fried with everything going on and consumed with fume, understandably I guess.

Honestly think if we commit one more player forward against these decent sides than we currently do, and break up our successful defensive shape, we get massacred. Such a fine balance with a squad this bad. Horrendous to watch obviously. And yes, should be seeing it out. But go toe to toe with these teams that score 3, 4 or 5 goals regularly, and we don’t stand a chance.

But it is the right thing, the players just aren’t finishing it. I don’t think xG is as important as some people make out but our underperformance in regards to that is staggering.

We play well defensively, we create chances and ultimately the forwards just aren’t finishing. We should be at least 13th but if you balance out the xG we probably “deserve” to be in the top 10.

I know it’s not for some people but I actually quite like the football we play under Dyche, it’s the most enjoyable for me since probably Martinez’ first year or else Carlo’s spell. I think people really need to get in touch with where we are. Seen loads of shouts that we should be beating “a team like Brighton” or that anything other than a win against West Ham is unacceptable, despite the fact that both clubs are miles better than us currently, with Dyche and especially without him.

We’ll get blown away by the likes of City and we’ll be lucky to get points against the likes of Spurs but people also need to realise that we’re also gonna get blown away by the likes of Brighton too, because they’re genuinely very good. I feel this fanbase suffers a lot with perception (due to our very successful history), mostly with seeing us as great or at least better than most yet on the same note looking down on other clubs despite them being objectively better than us.
We were creating chances earlier in the season. Doesn't feel like we are so much anymore. At one point pretty far into this match, we were getting outshot 17 to 3, I believe. It's clearly been getting more and more defensive as the season has progressed.

Nobody's saying we should be challenging for a Champions League spot right now. And you can say Brighton is worlds better than us, but even if they were (I think that's too much credit to them - without the deduction, we'd have been 8 points back of them going into today), both times we played them this season, they were missing key players. Pedro and Mitoma were both out today. That's most of their offense. Their record for the season doesn't really make any difference on the day. And both times this season - especially today - we had the game there for the taking and didn't.

Today we didn't take it in large part because the manager didn't do his job well enough.

The number of furious calls for Dobbin to come on to offer counter pace all over the internet is incredible really. Frustration yes, loads of it, and the players should be able to manage that game out. The fanbase is totally fried with everything going on and consumed with fume, understandably I guess.

Honestly think if we commit one more player forward against these decent sides than we currently do, and break up our successful defensive shape, we get massacred. Such a fine balance with a squad this bad. Horrendous to watch obviously. And yes, should be seeing it out. But go toe to toe with these teams that score 3, 4 or 5 goals regularly, and we don’t stand a chance.
Nobody is asking for us to go toe to toe

We're asking for the manager to try and use more runners on the counter attack against a side holding a very high line with 10 men.

I don’t think Dyche should be sacked, but that doesn’t mean he’s beyond criticism. I think the players we’ve got in midfield are more capable of passing the ball and being a bit bolder/ more ambitious than the current tactics allow them to.
We should be working the ball in midfield with Onana and Garner to get it to our wingers higher up the pitch where they can get crosses in for DCL and Doucoure. It’s really just tweaks rather than mass changes but it would make a big difference.

If you offered me a point beforehand i would've taken it no problem.

To blow a one goal lead deep into injury time and with Brighton down to ten men as well, well that is a disappointing result.

If Luton win their game in hand then we're back in the relegation zone. Still though we came very close to beating a very good Brighton team.

There is encouragement to take from the performance, but we desperately need some points back in the appeal to alleviate some of the pressure.

No one to sack him… no better manager in the world… how dare you expect better.

Something along those lines.
I'm not saying to sack the manager. We have no leadership in place to even go hire a new manager.

But I think his management of a number of our recent games has been fairly terrible to be honest.

The complete surrendering of the initiative today against 10 men really did annoy me though. This is Everton - what sort of way is that for an Everton side to play a man up. I dont think the game management was anywhere near what's required and I think that's fair criticism. If people don't agree then that's up to them.