2024/25 Sean Dyche

This.

Some of the play was suicidal. The same boring lines about fullbacks not crossing half way lines, low block hoofball, etc. keep getting trotted out but none of that was true yesterday.

We had Tarkowski doing turns on the ball as the last man and almost got caught twice. Keane and Tarkowski both playing it across the pitch when in the opposition half. One of their early breaks came from Keane trying a left footed scoop pass from the corner of their box. Why was he even up there? We had Iroegbunam and Gueye miles apart in the middle both of them dwelling on the ball (one a lot better than the other). Mykolenko was flying ahead of McNeil every chance he got even when it wasn’t on. At one point Pickford picked him out with a goal kick as the furthest forward.

I kind of wish we had played low block hoofball because we’d have probably come away with a draw. Instead we were wide open playing a type of football these players cannot play, and sure enough the individual errors occurred and we got scythe open on the break.
So what you’re saying is Dyche got it horribly wrong.. finally..

off the field yes, but on the field as i say we have better squads than the other teams that have gone down.

he's barking up the wrong tree if he thinks answers like that is going to endear him to our supporters, we are sick to death of this club and they are lucky 40k still turn up every week to watch that same shower.

TBH, having mulled it over, I think I;d be a bit sarcastic too if Ild just worked two season's worth of miracles in keeping Everton up against all odds and then that club said f.a. about extending my period in charge.

Dyche is limited as a football manager, we all know that. But he's a leader. Everton will let him leave at their own peril.

What’s the point of buying players who are not capable of starting games . Obviously they are not good enough to start according to our manager.
What is more negligent, given our financial issues, is that Dyche signed off the deal for O`Brien for £18m to be 4th choice behind Tarkowski, Branthwaite and Keane. Then on top of that signing off the Ndiaye deal for £17m to be back up to Doucoure... I wonder if he actually wants to improve this team and just keep the players currently in place.

Given our plight ATM it is negligence of the highest order to spend £35m on players he knew could not get in to the team... because they have no PL experience, which is massively BS BTW, how many PL debutants did Brighton have yesterday?

So what you’re saying is Dyche got it horribly wrong.. finally..

I’ve never said he didn’t get it wrong yesterday…..or multiple other times during his Everton career.

The amount of posts there are though saying it’s the same tactics every single game. How do you watch that game and say it’s the same? At one point we had Keane and Tarkowski in Brighton’s half trying to ping balls to Mykolenko on one side, and Harrison on the other hugging the touch lines. We had Ireogbunam doing blind turns in the middle trying to slalom into their box (admittedly it often worked well). We had players trying to walk it out of our backline and find passes that were never on.

The game plan was a mess and didn’t work but honestly if you’re sat there saying ‘it was low block hoofball, fullbacks didn’t cross the halfway line’ you didn’t watch the game. We probably would have fared a lot better if we had just sat in one block of a flat four and punted it away every time we had a problem, we certainly wouldn’t have conceded the fist two goals.

TBH, having mulled it over, I think I;d be a bit sarcastic too if Ild just worked two season's worth of miracles in keeping Everton up against all odds and then that club said f.a. about extending my period in charge.

Dyche is limited as a football manager, we all know that. But he's a leader. Everton will let him leave at their own peril.
Extending what?

Are you nuts?

No need to panic in my opinion. I still think Dyche is capable of giving us a very comfortable mid table season this year. Having said that, the selection really was the opposite of what was needed on such a historic occasion. He often talks about learning about the club/fans, the feel of certain things, the derby etc. The selection yesterday was the opposite of what was needed for the FEEL of the place. We needed bravery, freshness and joy. We got Beigery, staleness and horror. He must do better

I tend to think of things systemically mate, i dont separate the off the field stuff from the on the field stuff and tend to weigh the impact of one on the other. I think last season was an impossible job, i think he did incredibly well, we are a poor side, with the additional adversity, deductions - it was an incredible job to keep us up. Regardless i still see the club not being able to provide either the manager or the DOF anything but the limited means to compete and progress, many multiples of less of what other managers are given. So i judge and weigh that context as well. if he was say given 100 mill to spend and there was no progress then that is something very different. But that is not the case and wont be for someone else, we're a team of loans, frees and heavily structured deals.

Im a firm believer in if you employ manager you commit to it, i was massively disappointed to see say someone like Silva go - i think we have been far to quick to our determent with sacking managers in the last seven years. I see huge value in continuity and consistency - i think its the only way to build success. Our constant chopping and changing managers has been a huge contribution to our current plight. I also dont think we are attractive to good managers.

Where is the line for me - its where Lampard got to - when a manager is taking you down and he clearly was - thats when i pull the Shute.

Re: Silva, with hindsight, I agree. Hard not to really, with the way things have gone since. We didn't know then what we know now either. That being that our transfer policy was largely dictated by Moshiri and that Kia fella. He also had a supposed director of football to add in to the mix, and on top of all that, none of these people were even on the board of directors. 😂 (n)

Hindsight tells me that replacing Lukaku with Moise Kean was probably the beginning of the end for Silva, but knowing what we know now, he probably never had much say in the matter.

What a shambles we have been.

No need to panic in my opinion. I still think Dyche is capable of giving us a very comfortable mid table season this year. Having said that, the selection really was the opposite of what was needed on such a historic occasion. He often talks about learning about the club/fans, the feel of certain things, the derby etc. The selection yesterday was the opposite of what was needed for the FEEL of the place. We needed bravery, freshness and joy. We got Beigery, staleness and horror. He must do better
It’s too early to go mad but definitely a terrible day yesterday and wipes away all the optimism around the new signings etc. bottom line is we’re an inconsistent and streaky team capable of going a good while without a win.

The concern is young, Coleman, Doucoure and Gana all getting older and one wonders have they got it in the tank to reach the required levels over the season. We desperately need a couple more players in to give us a solid foundation for the season.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back