2024/25 Sean Dyche

His competition is Ashley Young, so if he can run then yes he’s good enough.
I'd like to see it but I'm realistic enough to know that he might get his arse handed to him and a lot of the people who are saying they'd be totally understanding and not say anything about that at all are talking total arsebiscuits because they'd be writing off his entire career and blaming the manager for putting him in that position because thats just how these things go every time.

If he's good enough then playing at 20 is fine I don't think anyone thinks any different its just whether he's good enough thats the question you have to bear in mind people wanted us to pick Lewis Warrington last season and he's on the bench for Leyton Orient in league one at the moment so maybe its not as easy as people try to say it is.
It's not ideal mate but in the absence of Patterson and seamus he's all we have. He can't cost us any more than Young does when he plays 👍

I'd like to see it but I'm realistic enough to know that he might get his arse handed to him and a lot of the people who are saying they'd be totally understanding and not say anything about that at all are talking total arsebiscuits because they'd be writing off his entire career and blaming the manager for putting him in that position because thats just how these things go every time.

Well Ashley Young gets his arse handed to him every time he plays anyway so what’s the actual risk of playing a young lad who might get his arse handed to him but also learn some valuable lessons and improve as a footballer?

We are getting no benefit out of playing a 39 year old.

Well Ashley Young gets his arse handed to him every time he plays anyway so what’s the actual risk of playing a young lad who might get his arse handed to him but also learn some valuable lessons and improve as a footballer?

We are getting no benefit out of playing a 39 year old.
I've never said we are! I can't stand Young I didn't want us to sign him and I didn't want him to get a new contract he is crap I've never said he's not that wasn't anything to do with the conversation I was having.

I've never said we are! I can't stand Young I didn't want us to sign him and I didn't want him to get a new contract he is crap I've never said he's not that wasn't anything to do with the conversation I was having.

But this conversation is specifically about a young player that isn’t getting a game because the manager is picking Young ahead of him?

But this conversation is specifically about a young player that isn’t getting a game because the manager is picking Young ahead of him?
I assumed the person I was replying to was talking about the next game when Young can't play but OK maybe it was about playing him in general I don't know. What I was trying to say is just because we don't want to play Young doesn't mean Dixon should play its not that easy I'm not saying he shouldn't because I haven't seen enough of him to know just that playing someone out of position or using Holgate could be a better option if he isn't actually good enough even if its not what I would like to happen.

I question re-signing Young mate, but I think the calls for Dixon to be thrown in are a bit fanciful. The lad has never played a second of senior professional football. Maybe he will turn out ok, but the only reason he got any minutes in preseason was because of all the injuries we had.

I'm generally against the idea of people suggesting kids should just get thrown in over seasoned professionals (very seasoned in Young's case). The manager sees these kids in training, we don't, it's generally a theme of "play xyz kid" all the time and its magic beans stuff usually.

I agree the club haven't managed the right back position well, but Dixon would be behind Coleman, Patterson, Young and Garner if any of them were fit.

I'd focus more on Young and (to a lesser extent) Coleman being retained and our inability to prioritise a new one and moving on Patterson (if he's no longer seen as being able to own the position).
Totally agree with you that we should not have re-signed Young but clearly Dyche made the decision on that. No way would he have been re-signed him unless Dyche pushed for it - just lazy risk averse management. Capology website says Young is on £40,000 per week. So that's £2,000,000 which could have been spent elsewhere.

Dixon – I wasn't saying he should be picked from the kick-off but he should definitely have been on the bench. We had Coleman, Patterson and Garner all injured - so if not at the weekend then when would Dyche propose picking him for the bench? He certainly wasn't injured because he played on Friday night.

Management of the club – the sale of home-grown players has saved the club in recent years from financial catastrophe – Gordon, Dobbin, Simms and Cannon. Under Dyche we can forget about the youth team as a source of revenue for the future.

And on the subject of poor financial management why on earth is Dyche picking Holgate at all? Holgate is on £70,000 per week – that's £3.5m per year. We need to get him off the wage bill ASAP. How do you do that? Well most professional clubs/managers would tell him to train on his own. If Holgate was training on his own he would soon tell his agent to get him a move ASAP. He is coming to the end of his contract and is only 27 so he desperately needs a new club next year - wasting away training on his own is not going to get him a contract with any other club. So we should be using that circumstance to our advantage but Dyche prefers to select him on the bench and bring him on – still it was a novel way to enter the stadium of fans.

I assumed the person I was replying to was talking about the next game when Young can't play but OK maybe it was about playing him in general I don't know. What I was trying to say is just because we don't want to play Young doesn't mean Dixon should play its not that easy I'm not saying he shouldn't because I haven't seen enough of him to know just that playing someone out of position or using Holgate could be a better option if he isn't actually good enough even if its not what I would like to happen.
Sorry mate, there is no scenario where this is the correct answer, like none.
I would go as far down as the under 16s before throwing this fella on the pitch again.

Jimmy if this lad was 16 even 17 i'd be having the same thoughts as you but he's 20 soon and getting good reports in the press for his performances. We go in to Saturday with no recognised right back, it's a scandal if Dixon does not get the nod ahead of Holgate, who is crap in his natural position anyway let alon right back. Everybody has to make their debut at some point and he's no baby. As I say it's a needs must thing, plus he may surprise a few. At lest we know he'll die for the shirt given a chance of a debut.

So you are against people who stack shelves at Tesco offering opinions on this Forum?

There is a difference between having an opinion, and calling someone who is more qualified in their field of expertise "clueless".

You may not agree with your Doctor, yet calling them names and stating they deserve the sack when you drive a wagon and have no experience in medicine shows that person thinks they are more clever than they actually are.

Sorry mate, there is no scenario where this is the correct answer, like none.
I would go as far down as the under 16s before throwing this fella on the pitch again.

Jimmy if this lad was 16 even 17 i'd be having the same thoughts as you but he's 20 soon and getting good reports in the press for his performances. We go in to Saturday with no recognised right back, it's a scandal if Dixon does not get the nod ahead of Holgate, who is crap in his natural position anyway let alon right back. Everybody has to make their debut at some point and he's no baby. As I say it's a needs must thing, plus he may surprise a few. At lest we know he'll die for the shirt given a chance of a debut.
Like I said I don't know how good he is if he's someone who will end up playing Championship level at least then I agree with you but if he's going to be a league 2 player like some of the other young lads I've seen saying should play in the past then the fact is an actual premier league out of position is probably going to be better than him thats why 99% of the time a manager will do that instead of using a random young player even if it doesn't seem right to us as fans.

Like I said I don't know how good he is if he's someone who will end up playing Championship level at least then I agree with you but if he's going to be a league 2 player like some of the other young lads I've seen saying should play in the past then the fact is an actual premier league out of position is probably going to be better than him thats why 99% of the time a manager will do that instead of using a random young player even if it doesn't seem right to us as fans.
Jimmy he's not a random young player. He's the only right back employed by Everton who's available on Saturday. None of us know how good he is yet in the prem, however he has to be at least as good as a player we want off our books playing out of position. That's all really.

I've been there, I know. You can have all the experience you like, but there comes a time when your brain starts to write cheques your legs can't cash.
You start trying to compensate - but you over compensate.
You either get too close and get turned or you hang back because you'll get skinned, you think need those extra yards...
and you still get skinned, if the winger has the space to push it behind you and because you're not up his backside...in the football sense...he doesn't even have to come off you to receive the ball. etc, etc etc.

Dixon is a full back and can supposedly, put a bit of a tackle in. He presumably knows the basics...the ball can get past you, or the man can get past you - But Not BOTH!
And allegedly - lightening fast, which is not the end of the world in a defender when faced with a trick fast winger.

Dixon may not be CAFU 2.O but he's got to have a better chance than Young & Holgate at catching / keeping up with, maybe even get a foot in on Son or whoever while having enough pace not to have to pull him back.

You learn by doing.
👏👏👏👏👏

Jimmy he's not a random young player. He's the only right back employed by Everton who's available on Saturday. None of us know how good he is yet in the prem, however he has to be at least as good as a player we want off our books playing out of position. That's all really.

I've never felt more like Devil's Advocate as I do right now, but that's not true at all mate. Just because we have a young right back on the books does not make him better than Holgate.

Holgate is terrible, granted, none of us want him in the team but equally none of us know what Dixon is like. He could easily be worse currently than Holgate is. To suggest otherwise is a classic "magic beans" argument.

The unknown is not always better than a known negative, in fact it often isn't.

It's depressing, but there's every chance in the world that the best option open to Dyche this weekend is Holgate at right back. The ire should be directed towards why that's potentially the case rather than fury at the manager not picking a lad who none of us know anything about as far as how he performs in training etc

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back