2024/25 Sean Dyche

I reckon if I searched your posts, Oct/Nov you're saying we need to stick with Lampard. Then you'll be saying in December we're cooked/going down so need to sack him. I reckon you have us down as relegated before Dyche.

We're a fickle bunch, but we'd do well to be less entitled and acknowledge the job he has done.
I probably did mate, you cant have one opinion of someone and keep running with it, performances and results will change that.

Sorry mate but i wont ever buy into this brand of football at the top level of the English game, we are not Grimsby town fighting for our lives trying to stay in the football league with 5 games to go.

Its horrendous to watch and so are the results, not just Saturday but a large chunk of last season also.

We need to stop undermining ourselves as a club and fanbase and stop thinking we should be grateful for what we are getting served up week after week.

Il bet not one of our fans are looking forwarsd to the weekend against Spurs, many will be for the piss up before and after and to visit Spurs ground but how many are looking forward to watching us play? No one!!

Thats not how it should be.

Dyche wanted to keep Iwobi. Was open about it. Was told to pipe down.

There's no chance Dyche is there asking for us to lash a few bob on Sportings 4th choice striker.

I'm convinced he's a passenger on recruitment - if he was so enthused by them players, they'd probably be in the team.
Depends what you mean by a passenger.

Is he suggesting players? I highly doubt it other than the cheaper ones/loans etc

Is he signing off on them saying he's happy for the club to sign them? I'd expect yes, unless Thelwell is being disingenuous

Are the bigger signing being driven by the recruitment dept? I'd imagine yes and tbqh I'd hope yes as well

Edit - But crucially I'd expect/want/pretty much demand that if the manager is signing off on players then he's also agreeing to integrate them into the team because otherwise the model isn't working and we are wasting money. Less bothered about loans as that's a free hit to a degree, so by my logic N'Diaye being integrated is important whilst Lindstrom is slightly less important.

Last edited:

So my eyes decieved me last season and branthwaite wasn’t sat on the bench for the first two games while Keane played then……

Ok
Fair enough two games, you think that blocks a players development do you?

Michael Keane featured in 12 games last season, 3 of them in the league cup, half of the rest as a late sub.

Anyone suggesting Dyche shoehorns him into the team is talking nonsense.

I probably did mate, you cant have one opinion of someone and keep running with it, performances and results will change that.

Sorry mate but i wont ever buy into this brand of football at the top level of the English game, we are not Grimsby town fighting for our lives trying to stay in the football league with 5 games to go.

Its horrendous to watch and so are the results, not just Saturday but a large chunk of last season also.

We need to stop undermining ourselves as a club and fanbase and stop thinking we should be grateful for what we are getting served up week after week.

Il bet not one of our fans are looking forwarsd to the weekend against Spurs, many will be for the piss up before and after and to visit Spurs ground but how many are looking forward to watching us play? No one!!

Thats not how it should be.

You, like most, wrote us off as down. You even mentioned how Dyche will be the favourite to come in because he's best suited/credentials to get us back promoted.

Good news - that wasn't needed. He come in and kept us up.

Maybe go back and revisit your posts prior to Dyche.

Then maybe reflect whether your posts today could be a little more respectful.

Holgate is finished. Absolutely done.

Dixon could easily have came in got embarrassed by Mitoma and never be seen from again, who knows?

Saturday was annoyingly predictable but we have been here before and will be again regardless.
Totally agree mate, but he would be able to improve because of it.
Im sure he wouldnt of offered less than Young did so thats enough for me to be in ahead of him.

Depends what you mean by a passenger.

Is he suggesting players? I highly doubt it other than the cheaper ones/loans etc

Is he signing off on them saying he's happy for the club to sign them? I'd expect yes, unless Thelwell is being disingenuous

Are the bigger signing being driven by the recruitment dept? I'd imagine yes and tbqh I'd hope yes as well

Me too.

And to that end, I'm not pointing fingers at Dyche for Beto, Chermiti, Danjuma etc. Nor am I going to give him credit if Iroegbunam and OBrien turn out great.

Totally agree mate, but he would be able to improve because of it.
Im sure he wouldnt of offered less than Young did so thats enough for me to be in ahead of him.
I actually didn't think Young was THAT bad until the sending off, but that's the issue isn't it? He is always prone to doing something like that. It's weird really as he is so experienced (and at a good level to be fair throughout his career) but keeps getting done in by stupid schoolboy errors.

I see it like this.

Holgate Young will give us a 3 to 5/10 performance week in week out and wont improve.

A young kid might give you the same or better and has room for improvement.

When the bar is set so low regarding who your leaving out of the team its no lose situation.

I’m not disagreeing with you here, but the reality is no manager does this. Fans want it, I want it, pundits always call for it, but hardly any manager ever does it.

I don’t know how many years we had prospects and all our managers from Moyes onwards just wouldn’t play them from the start in league games on their debuts. Senior players instead would be moved around out of position, every single one of them did it unless there was basically no other option available.

That’s not just Everton managers. How long did it take Foden to come into the City team when their fans were screaming for him to start. It was only last season he’s actually been trusted to play in midfield for them and not out wide or front. He’s a generational talent and not just some academy player either. Fergie was playing John O Shea and Ryan Giggs in midfield instead of trusting the next academy player.

All the fans always want it to happen. I’d have loved to have seen the young lad given a run out on Saturday, but the reality is that the vast majority of managers just do not play academy prospects from the starts of games when making their debuts (especially in defensive positions) unless they are exceptional. I’ve not seen much of Dixon but I doubt he’s Wayne Rooney reimagined at fullback.

The fans can never understand it but it’s one of those where you come to the eventual conclusion that there must be a reason nearly all managers do it.

Me too.

And to that end, I'm not pointing fingers at Dyche for Beto, Chermiti, Danjuma etc. Nor am I going to give him credit if Iroegbunam and OBrien turn out great.
Oh we are in complete agreement here. The manager receives little credit for signings now. If a signing doesn't fit the way we play, that's down to the recruitment team rather than Dyche being cuplable for not fundamentally altering our approach to accommodate them.

But even then the grey area comes where the manager could tweak things to allow some players to play.

Dyche couldn't, for example, accommodate someone like James because it fundamentally doesn't fit how he operates and it would be on the recruitment team if they brought him in. On the other hand if the recruitment people looked at the data and saw N'Diaye can do all the defensive stuff Dyche wants but will involve a slight adjustment in our approach play to get more from him, that's on Dyche if he refuses.

As I say, it's a balancing act where the shades of grey become greater in terms of culpability, but it is what it is and we aren't going back to an autonomous system where a manager runs it all.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back