2024/25 Sean Dyche

He's spot on.
I dont think I've ever seen an Everton boss so rattled by Everton fans. And he hasn't had it anywhere near as bad as some of the other managers.
It seems to be constant moaning from him.
He's a small club manager. He doesn't understand why we are up in arms after yet another dismal start to the season as this was his stock in trade at Burnley - only at Burnley there were no expectations at all as their fans expected to lose the majority of matches.

As others have said, this is the Dyche cycle. Start the season appallingly, recover somewhat to narrowly avoid relegation, rinse and repeat. I think we have all reached the stage where we want that cycle to be broken. Does our absentee owner and temporary board want the same though?

He holds onto the mistaken belief that his players are fitter than others, which is why he doesn’t make substitutions. He's deluded.
He doesn’t believe subs are effective. And it ultimately makes no difference what the other team does tactically or how many subs they make.

If the team is operating in the manner that I think is right, other than fatigue or injury of course, then I don’t tinker too much. My stats and the facts on that have paid me back. I believe in a way of working and unless someone is particularly off-colour, or there might be an injury reason, or just a fatigue reason, I often leave the side alone if I think it is operating in the right way”

This is a quote from him last August when we also started crap;
I could have taken the whole team off at half time”
yet at half time, he made 1 sub.

He doesn’t believe subs are effective. And it ultimately makes no difference what the other team does tactically or how many subs they make.

If the team is operating in the manner that I think is right, other than fatigue or injury of course, then I don’t tinker too much. My stats and the facts on that have paid me back. I believe in a way of working and unless someone is particularly off-colour, or there might be an injury reason, or just a fatigue reason, I often leave the side alone if I think it is operating in the right way”

This is a quote from him last August when we also started crap;
I could have taken the whole team off at half time”
yet at half time, he made 1 sub.
In my opinion, he has a tendency to make things unnecessarily difficult for himself. His in-game management is the worst I've seen from any Everton manager, and that's saying something. Taking DCL + Ndiaye off who were great was baffling, neither looked particularly tired. It was clear though that Tim was fatigued after 75 minutes and should have been subbed off for Garner.

I've moved from pro Dyche to on the fence Dyche.

I'm going to query his advocates and say "well how long do you give him? - if we lose the next 3 do we keep him?"

I'm going to question his enemies by sneering at their Potter suggestions, and reminding them of their posts the week before he arrived saying we're going down.

I can't lose from this fence position.

I'm going to query his advocates and say "well how long do you give him? - if we lose the next 3 do we keep him?"

I'm going to question his enemies by sneering at their Potter suggestions, and reminding them of their posts the week before he arrived saying we're going down.

I've got a very nice wood saw, old chap

you could end up with said fence up your bottom though so there is some way of losing in this for yourself too

He holds onto the mistaken belief that his players are fitter than others, which is why he doesn’t make substitutions. He's deluded.

5 August wins in 30 league games tells you a different story. Only one of those is after 2017.

For me its the constant lack of ability to evolve and adapt. You hear Ian Woan in interviews talk about 'this is what we did at Burnley' (when he's not talking about the best gigs him and 'the gaffer' go to, or how he sleeps at the end of Sean Dyches bed).

Football has moved on more quicker than it ever has, since 2015 when Burnley were getting told they were the business. And to stick to your North West tours & Gaffers Days is a little bit insulting to the fans and the opposition who are using any and every edge they can to get ahead.

Changing from a suit to a trackie isn't going to be in any football evolution books

We have a really nice run of fixtures after the Villa game.
Southampton (home) in the cup
Leicester (away)
Palace (home)
Newcastle (home)
Ipswich (away)
Fulham (home)
Southampton (away)
West Ham (away)
Brentford (home)

How many points from them does he need to stay in the job?
I'd want at least 15 from them plus going through in the cup to calm me down.
Realistically 3 wins from that set of fixtures probably keeps whoever is in charge from making a decision. (9 points from 11 games is probably around his average)

I think any potential takeover puts a big spanner in the works for this too. A new guy might want to come in and bring his own person in, but that could not be until next calendar year? Would we want to bring in a new manager put a buyer off in terms of having to stick with the new guy for longer than they would have to stick with Dyche?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back