2024/25 Sean Dyche

like not winning in 14 games

In any other season, he'd have been gone there's no two ways about it. But context is important and I honestly think the club's situation was a factor in that winless spell.

It's also worth remembering that a lot of the clubs in and around us tend to have 10 game spells without wins, the likes of Palace, Wolves, Bournemouth.... It's the reality of being at best a mid-table squad.

I fully expect us to go through another spell or two but I'd like to think it will be nowhere near 14 games.

Did we? Last season undoubtedly. The season before though?

Better than Leicester with Maddison Barnes Tielemans Ndidi Vardy

Better than Leeds with Gnonto Summerville Rodrigo Rutter Bamford Sinisterra Harrison McKennie Wober Tyler Adams

I think the only squad we were better than that season was Southampton and even they had Ward Prowse, Lavia, Caleta Car, Walker Peters, Livramento, Che Adams most of whom would have walked into our team that season.

Saying that the players are poor is like a dog whistle to some on here who see it as trying to absolve the manager of everything. It isn’t. The manager will still make selection errors, tactical errors, substitution errors.

But there comes a point when several different managers from Ancelotti Benitez Lampard and Dyche and even a few before have all had the same problems with some players that Everton fans have to stop delusionally over valuing the players in our squad.

Pickford Branthwaite Tarkowski Garner. These names aside no top half team is touching any other player from our squad (I’ve left off the new signings as yet to be judged). It’s a bottom half squad simple as that.

We should have went in 22/23, I don't care what anyone says it was a miracle we survived, especially after giving the teams around us a 19 game headstart with Lampard.

In any other season, he'd have been gone there's no two ways about it. But context is important and I honestly think the club's situation was a factor in that winless spell.

It's also worth remembering that a lot of the clubs in and around us tend to have 10 game spells without wins, the likes of Palace, Wolves, Bournemouth.... It's the reality of being at best a mid-table squad.

I fully expect us to go through another spell or two but I'd like to think it will be nowhere near 14 games.
There’s no context

In no world should any premier league manager go a third if the season without winning

Totally unacceptable

I think we're in a big hole for years to come.

If not Dyche then we'd need another firefighter type.

We are miles away from a team that can play with more flair.

We'll be all hands to the pumps for years to come. Only getting another Mansour in here would change that dynamic.

When you look at the clubs financial situation, getting the new £20m a season kit sponser, the BMD catering deal, imagine throwing in a naming rights deal for the stadium + new shirt sponsor to replace stake.

The club is ripe for a big increase in revenue when we move next season but only an owner with the dough and willingness to spend it can make this happen.

Yet we have fans worshipping US chancers putting loans out on the club, worshipping super blues with no money.

Until sanctions on Usmanov are lifted, or we are invested in by Gulf/Eastern money - midtable is as good as it gets and Dyche, for all his negatives, gets you midtable finishes.

Awful team selection. His loyalty to young,keane,mc neil and doucoure is beyond me. Im not holgates biggest fan at all but he's played a lot of games for the club at right back but dyche cant see past young. He will probably shoehorn mcneill in there now with a change of formation. Those four should not have started and they didnt need to start. Im not having it that our 3 new signings would have been any worse than the regularly terrible keane young mcneil and doucoure.

When I saw the team selection I fully expected us to lose.

It's entitled to say we should never lose at home. It's not entitled to think we should never get smashed at home to mid table sides.

The tactics yesterday were just pure huff and puff. Absolutely no patterns of play and no quality. That same front 4 have failed miserably for over a year now so why persist with them.

And the back 4 that was selected was an absolute joke. The manager and KT prioritised a new centre half over a goalscorer. So to see that player behind Keane and Holgate in the pecking order is absolutely deflating for the supporters and it also defies all logic.

Dyche is extremely predictable but not in a good way. I can't wait till we move on and try to play football again. Watching this side and these tactics is painful.

It is. We’re going to play badly at some point in a season against a mid table team that is on its game. We are a lower mid table team that has been in two back to back relegation battles before last season and there hasn’t been that many squad changes since then.

We can give it all the NSNO we want but it’s not going to change the reality that when teams who are better than us come to Goodison park and we don’t play well and they do then they’re going to beat us.

Just saying you can’t accept this is entitled. Even great Everton teams had shocking results at times. Pep’s City lost to Norwich I think and got beaten at home by Palace. Klopp’s Liverpool, one of their best ever sides got battered at home by a mid table Serie A team and then lost 2-0 to one of the worst Everton teams in PL history as well as getting done twice by a bang average United side all in the same period.

Bad results happen, can’t just say ‘I won’t accept them’

Spouting more of the usual bollocks! Tell that to Mazraoui and Minteh Slaphead. He really need to go. And why Holgate subbed on ahed of O'Brien??? He has a proven high incompetency level in both the Premier League and Championship and will be in the lower leagues before you can say Red Card.

Yeah, that's an infuriating quote. Michael Keane is never the solution to anything. Experience is not critical in whether or not somebody can succeed in the Premier League on a one-off basis. Look at the Brighton manager yesterday. Zero PL experience - zero top-flight experience even - and he schooled Dyche.

When I saw the team selection I fully expected us to lose.

It's entitled to say we should never lose at home. It's not entitled to think we should never get smashed at home to mid table sides.

The tactics yesterday were just pure huff and puff. Absolutely no patterns of play and no quality. That same front 4 have failed miserably for over a year now so why persist with them.

And the back 4 that was selected was an absolute joke. The manager and KT prioritised a new centre half over a goalscorer. So to see that player behind Keane and Holgate in the pecking order is absolutely deflating for the supporters and it also defies all logic.

Dyche is extremely predictable but not in a good way. I can't wait till we move on and try to play football again. Watching this side and these tactics is painful.
We're a lower mid-table side ourselves. All mid table sides occasionally get well beaten by fellow mid table sides at home. That's the competitive element of the league.

If a mid-table or lower team aren't on it and making bad decisions they'll sometimes get soundly beaten. Saying that should never happen is kind of entitled.

Dyche clearly isn't playing pretty football but with the club the way it is then at the moment I'll gladly take the manager who can plonk us somewhere around a mid-table points total at the end of the season. I'd rather that than someone like Kompany playing pretty triangles into The Championship.

The irony being of course that 2 momentously bad moments for us yesterday came from players trying to play a bit in moments where pub league basics would have likely suited better. As with Brighton's passage of play before our penalty shout.

It is. We’re going to play badly at some point in a season against a mid table team that is on its game. We are a lower mid table team that has been in two back to back relegation battles before last season and there hasn’t been that many squad changes since then.

We can give it all the NSNO we want but it’s not going to change the reality that when teams who are better than us come to Goodison park and we don’t play well and they do then they’re going to beat us.

Just saying you can’t accept this is entitled. Even great Everton teams had shocking results at times. Pep’s City lost to Norwich I think and got beaten at home by Palace. Klopp’s Liverpool, one of their best ever sides got battered at home by a mid table Serie A team and then lost 2-0 to one of the worst Everton teams in PL history as well as getting done twice by a bang average United side all in the same period.

It's not entitled because it's not a one off. It happens regularly. We lost at home far too often last year (twice to Luton, twice to Fulham etc). We've never won a home game under Dyche if the other team score.

This happens far too often and I don't accept garbage performances like that. Especially not when the manager makes so many dreadful decisions.

You can bring up as many one off examples of big teams losing as you like but it doesn't mean anything because this is the opposite of a one off. This is Sean Dyches Everton - we go long periods without winning and don't win enough home games over a season.

Sorry, but that's apologia. It's not that people are furious about losing to Brighton, it's that the manager has proven himself a clown with some of his decisions. Playing Keane, Young, and Holgate - proven failures to a man at Everton - and leaving new signings on the bench because they "lack PL experience" is rigid thinking that was utterly shown up by a foreign rookie manager with zero PL experience on the opposite bench.

Dyche has done a really good job for Everton, but yesterday's decison-making and overall thinking on the game from him was disgraceful. It's not that we should never lose 0-3 to Brighton (though I believe they have only ever beaten us once at Goodison), it's that we should never have a manager who goes into a home game like that with the attitudes he had yesterday.

I have admired his work in really trying circumstances, but yesterday was a shocker for me and he has fallen way down in my estimations given the "logic" of his quotes on why he did what he did in terms of team selection. He has shown me he is incapable of adapting - and adapting is all that will keep him in a job when the ownership question is finally resolved.

We should have went in 22/23, I don't care what anyone says it was a miracle we survived, especially after giving the teams around us a 19 game headstart with Lampard.

I agree. Last season was not a miracle, although he did well considering the points deductions to get 48 points, the three teams were very poor that went down.

The season before was a completely different story. Some of those teams already had a start on us, we’d used up most of our easier home games, and we gave him 18 games starting off with Arsenal twice and Liverpool in the first few. DCL was barely fit, Gordon sold, and the players and fans scrapping. That was the job people reference as he did well to keep us up.

Be easier to accept poor results and poor performances if the club issued refunds for such.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back