Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Semifinals: Croatia vs England

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to say it but Henderson is our key player on Wednesday, he simply has to control Modric and Rakitic for us to win.

It's funny hearing people go gaga over the team, Southgate and all sorts of things though. They've done well without a doubt, especially as expectations beforehand were so very low, but we've also enjoyed some tremendous fortune. Belgium aside, we've beaten two teams in the knock outs who are ranked 16th and 24th in the world, and our path to the final is blocked by the 20th best team in the world. We've been given the golden ticket in the way the draw has opened up for us, yet that luck is largely being glossed over in all the fuss being made of the team.

There was a similar thing in Martinez' first season with us, where we rode our luck a bit in many games, and exceeded expectations, before then dropping below the mean after that.

It's funny hearing people go gaga over the team, Southgate and all sorts of things though. They've done well without a doubt, especially as expectations beforehand were so very low, but we've also enjoyed some tremendous fortune. Belgium aside, we've beaten two teams in the knock outs who are ranked 16th and 24th in the world, and our path to the final is blocked by the 20th best team in the world. We've been given the golden ticket in the way the draw has opened up for us, yet that luck is largely being glossed over in all the fuss being made of the team.

There was a similar thing in Martinez' first season with us, where we rode our luck a bit in many games, and exceeded expectations, before then dropping below the mean after that.

Ultimately you can only beat what’s in front of you . I wouldn’t care how Everton got to the latter stages of a tournament, it’s about winning and progress, you’ve just got to enjoy the ride surely ?

Ultimately you can only beat what’s in front of you . I wouldn’t care how Everton got to the latter stages of a tournament, it’s about winning and progress, you’ve just got to enjoy the ride surely ?
If you ask 99% of the population, I'm confident they wouldn't have a clue who we played in the group stages in 1966 - France, Uruguay and Mexico by the way.

Or that we beat Argentina and Portugal to get to the final? Yes we've had a fortunate draw, but as you rightly mention we can only beat those who we face!

Also, there have been 'better' teams in this World Cup who have also fell at arguably easier obstacles, so I don't think it's being glossed over @Bruce Wayne.

Before the World Cup there was very little optimism or expectations for this team, yet we've quietly been able to progress albeit it with a fotunate draw.

While I agree to a certain extent the fact is we are now in a world cup semi final and the so called Golden Generation never got near one and never looked like winning a quarter final in their time. I honestly think we can beat Croatia but winning the whole thing is down to the surrender monkeys or Belgians choking in the final as I think both sides are better than us, in fact all the top half were better than us going into the quarters and we were lucky to not be in that half or we would be out by now.

While I agree to a certain extent the fact is we are now in a world cup semi final and the so called Golden Generation never got near one and never looked like winning a quarter final in their time. I honestly think we can beat Croatia but winning the whole thing is down to the surrender monkeys or Belgians choking in the final as I think both sides are better than us, in fact all the top half were better than us going into the quarters and we were lucky to not be in that half or we would be out by now.
It is clear to see that France and Belgium are on paper better teams than ourselves, while also showing their pedigree in this tournament against quality teams.

Nevertheless, they're both prone to a faux pas and I feel that as the underdogs we really have nothing to lose whereas all the expectations will be on them.

Obviously it's all dependent on beating Croatia, which won't be easy in itself and perhaps I'm clutching at straws, but I do feel that they are both beatable.

It is clear to see that France and Belgium are on paper better teams than ourselves, while also showing their pedigree in this tournament against quality teams.

Nevertheless, they're both prone to a faux pas and I feel that as the underdogs we really have nothing to lose whereas all the expectations will be on them.

Obviously it's all dependent on beating Croatia, which won't be easy in itself and perhaps I'm clutching at straws, but I do feel that they are both beatable.
Both France and Belgium haven't gelled well. they rely on a Individual bit of brilliance to get through games.
England's teams looks a lot fitter then everyone left. Then they have rashford to come off the bench aswell.

Surprised at the negativity the team is getting from certain sections on here, if i'm being honest.

Lets face it, England have made the semi final of the most prestigious tournament in the World. It's not to be scoffed at! The achievement this team of "mercenaries" have made is huge and I for one, hope they continue forward, and maybe finally bring back a bit of Football pride in the Country, because at the moment English International Football is at its lowest ebb, it's ever been.

Scousers are actually supporting England, and i thought i was the only one :lol:

Okay, they've had a more gentle run to the semi's. Panama, Tunisia arguably gave England the easiest of groups, but you have to beat them, and in Panama, they did so extremely convincingly. Into the knockouts, and they dispatched of a Colombia team who were growing in confidence, and had it not been for that 15 minute spell at the end of the game, were beating them convincingly, like they did with Sweden.

Everyone needs their own luck, but you make your own. Would England have made the Semi's had they won the group? I'd say unlikely, but fair play they had a plan, it's went to fruition and now they face a pretty tricky tie against Croatia who ooze talent. Modric, Mandzukic, Kovacic, Brozovic, Perisic. If they take advantage of the few hours extra rest, closeness to the base and the fact they've played two 120 minutes so far, then... well, you just don't know, England could be playing in a World Cup final this time next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back