Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need a huge shift, we really don't. I'd love us to spend heavily again but we just need to get momentum going. The team looks horrendous because confidence in the style of play is such a brittle thing and caution has seeped into everything. Pick up a few results, stay in Europe and add maybe two players in January and start to turn the tide.
easier said than done old chum

And if we win our next 3-4 games we'd probably have the best form because over the course of a season form fluctuates for every team. Look at Chelsea, they were well ahead a few weeks ago and everyone was lauding them for the title saying how great they were. Now City have pulled the gap right back and they got gubbed by Spurs the other day, should they sack Mourinho because they've been 'found out'?

The first negative period in Martinez 18 months has brought out all the people who never wanted him and their rubbing their hands with glee, desperate to say 'I told you so'. It's pathetic and small time, imagine being a true fan and being happy and taking a strange smug enjoyment out of us not doing well, just plain weird.

And if we win our next 3 or 4 games then the moaning and concern will go away, and if we continue to play as badly as we have been then the moaning and the concern will increase further. That sounds entirely logical to me.

But at this very moment, we have the worst form in the league, and the second worst goal conceded tally after half of the season has been played. If you don't consider those type of facts to be concerning then that's fine, but I personally think those type of statistics should be concerning for any supporter.

Your last parargraph is nonsense mate. You will have to point me in the direction of all these blues who are in a state of ecstasy as a result of us having the worst form in the league?

We don't need a huge shift, we really don't. I'd love us to spend heavily again but we just need to get momentum going. The team looks horrendous because confidence in the style of play is such a brittle thing and caution has seeped into everything. Pick up a few results, stay in Europe and add maybe two players in January and start to turn the tide.

As I said, I hope you are right but I think you are wrong. Not having an actual LM is hampering us big time, and I don't think Barry, Alcaraz or Distin are capable of regaining form because I think they are all finished at the top level. I think a change in playing personnel is required to change our fortunes.

As I said, I hope you are right but I think you are wrong. Not having an actual LM is hampering us big time, and I don't think Barry, Alcaraz or Distin are capable of regaining form because I think they are all finished at the top level. I think a change in playing personnel is required to change our fortunes.
Nothing is going to happen in january on the player front major,there maybe 1 or 2 coming in.
We need to sort the mess on the training pitch and hopefully get to the summer still in the premier league

I agree but you take those three out of the team, add a reasonably quality left winger and it's a very dynamic and exciting side again.

The more that is being said, the more I think we just need to ride out this storm.

Everyone's kicking us now we're 'down', from the likes of Carragher making jokes, to Sky, to even our own fans.

It's difficult to ask people to have faith, but that's exactly what we need right now. The players are good enough - good enough to not be in this position and be a lot further up the league.

Throughout the years, Everton have always been at their bleakest right before something good/great happens:

- Dec 1983 - Kendall Out leaflets, 13000 at home for Coventry 0-0, boos at the end. 5 months later we'd been to 2 cup finals and won the FA Cup.
- Oct 1986 - Massive injury crisis, most of the first team out, down to 9th, the likes of Kevin Langley and Bobby Mimms playing every week. 7 months later - league champions for the 9th time.
- Nov 1994 - Rock bottom (22nd) with 1 win from first 14 games, and with just 8 points and a goal difference of -15. Mike Walker sacked, Joe Royle takes over. We survive, beat the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd at home in the league, and go on to win the FA Cup.
- March 2002 - Look headed for relegation. Walter Smith sacked, Moyes appointed. Stay up and the following season finish 7th, highest position for 7 years.
- May 2004 - After a terrible season, finish 17th. Best player in years in Rooney is sold. Club looks in a bad state. A few astute buys later (Tim Cahill and Marcus Bent - that few people rated at the time) and 12 months later we finish 4th.
- October 2008 - Another bad start to the season. Languishing in 16th, after being dumped out of the UEFA Cup in the first round by Standard Liege. A 1-1 draw with Man Utd turned things around and gave everyone confidence. We went on to reach the FA Cup Final and finish 5th.
- Summer 2013. Moyes leaves. Martinez appointed. Many worried and tipping us to do poorly without Moyes. We go on to have our best season in the league, points and wins wise, for 27 years.

Keep the faith.

Well my best mate runs an arsenal forum and reckons is just a bunch of whinging knobbers.
fair enough but the match goers i talk to ( ok only 3 ) say it's beome boring to watch. Anyway have a look at this quote i read recentley about possession football.

According to the Spanish journalist Diego Torres in a recent book, Jose Mourinho’s attitude to possession at Real Madrid was summed up thus.

1. The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors.

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it's better to encourage their mistakes.

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6. Whoever has the ball has fear.

7. Whoever does not have it is therefore stronger.

......er....what is an "LM" :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back