Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And whilst he was "swanning around" the World Cup he just happened to stumble accross Besic !

To be fair, he could have "stumbled across" Besic from the comfort of his own living room in Southport via TV coverage of the World Cup.

And given Roberto's obsession with the game in Europe, I would imagine Besic was already on his radar before the summer.

Now, I am still wearing the Martinez mark, as it were, but I do believe his eye was taken off the ball in the summer when he went off to Brazil for a month.

It stands to commonsense most of his time woukd have been taken up concentrating on the games as they were being played and preparing fir his periods in front of the camera.

Manager of Everton us a full time job even during the close season...and I think in hindsight Roberto would have been better off having a fortnight in Benidorm and getting back to his desk At the beginning of June :)

I hope Bill forbids a repeat at the Euros next year and at the Russian World Cup.

Totally agree. And important to note I'm not a Martinez out person (yet). I really want him to turn it around.

But how he did last season has no relevance to what is happening right now. For me at least.
Well it does have some relevance in that it indicates the levels we can achieve. Whether or not that's off the back of Moyes' work is yet to be seen. But he has to be given the window and the player(s) in to get it right. If he fails after that, then we have to think about replacing him.

Totally agree. And important to note I'm not a Martinez out person (yet). I really want him to turn it around.

But how he did last season has no relevance to what is happening right now. For me at least.
Agreed. And has been said ad nauseum, last season the players were playing a Martinez system with a Moyes mentality. Clearly the two were a good mix. A Martinez system with a Martinez mentality does not appear to be very affective atm.

Last night was a bonus game for RM if I'm being honest. I'm glad we have avoided yet another defeat but I'd happily forgo the FA Cup this season to ensure survival and see some longer-term hope. The next league match is where RM needs to start the recovery.

Agreed. And has been said ad nauseum, last season the players were playing a Martinez system with a Moyes mentality. Clearly the two were a good mix. A Martinez system with a Martinez mentality does not appear to be very affective atm.

Last night was a bonus game for RM if I'm being honest. I'm glad we have avoided yet another defeat but I'd happily forgo the FA Cup this season to ensure survival and see some longer-term hope. The next league match is where RM needs to start the recovery.

Martinez system with moyes mentality. How would you explain that mate?

Bill will be reluctant to fire martinez due to the upheaval it will cause plus it will heap pressure on him to come up with the goods re a new manager. Compensation is irrelevant here. He wants to stay out of the firing line, as usual.

Far better to keep an inept employee at the helm, under the guise of being patient and giving him support, and let him take the abuse. Classic management tactics.

Ah, so it's a sort of false flag operation by Kenwright? Classic.

Martinez system with moyes mentality. How would you explain that mate?
Pretty self-explanatory, I would've thought. Players who have spent a decade under the hard-working 'chase everything and defend strong' mentality of Moyes, but adopting the more attacking, passing-based system of Martinez. AKA Martinez on the ball, Moyes off the ball.

Pretty self-explanatory, I would've thought. Players who have spent a decade under the hard-working 'chase everything and defend strong' mentality of Moyes, but adopting the more attacking, passing-based system of Martinez. AKA Martinez on the ball, Moyes off the ball.

Well put

But I refuse to accept that Martinez didnt affect players last season...mentality wise.

Well put

But I refuse to accept that Martinez didnt affect players last season...mentality wise.

He did 100%. The way we played at The Emirates should tell everyone that he had an affect on the players.
Not once under Moyes did we play we that much swagger and confidence at The Emirates.

Yeah but about 60% of our best/strongest team from last year never played under Moyes.

Doesn't need to be a load of long balls though, just counter attacking ones with a purpose. direct balls.

Drag in the strikers and midfielders of the opposition, then release appropriately.

Not the long balls we are doing now, freekick edge of their box, short pass, backward, backwards, backwards, backwards, Howard.. punt..

Talking about launching a counter attack when its not expected.

The worrying thing is the amount of time we allow the other team on the ball

How many times do we see a midfielder run through our DMs and at our back line

Must close down quicker and get tackles in earlier, Basically what we done last season

He did 100%. The way we played at The Emirates should tell everyone that he had an affect on the players.
Not once under Moyes did we play we that much swagger and confidence at The Emirates.

True - but that again comes back to the on-the-ball/off-the-ball thing. It was our on-the-ball swagger and confidence that improved markedly, the defence was the same solid defence that was instilled by Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back