Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The worrying thing is the amount of time we allow the other team on the ball

How many times do we see a midfielder run through our DMs and at our back line

Must close down quicker and get tackles in earlier, Basically what we done last season

100%, if we start pressing the ball the defensive problems go away.

A change generally provides good results in times of strife at our club. Walker fired - Royle in. Smith fired - Moyes in. Both occasions provided instant tonics to flagging fortunes.

A change generally provides good results in times of strife at our club. Walker fired - Royle in. Smith fired - Moyes in. Both occasions provided instant tonics to flagging fortunes.

See this is spot on, you could also in away add Moyes left - Martinez in, because at least his first season was a success. OK it dosen't look like we are going to build on that this year at least. But the point is there is always a replacement and if Roberto did go right now there will be a list of real good managers willing to work with this squad.

The problem is that it's a short term fix at best.

From those changes spanning over twenty years we have just one trophy to our name, which is how the club should really measure it's success.

Changing manager is a reactionary approach out of desperate measure. It means that you are also going to have to invest time and money in changing of backroom staff and players themselves as each new manager has a new system and beliefs.

Whereas it's normal to have set backs and periods of short term stunted progress. The key is recognising it is a slump and not part of a wider problem, or making a hasty decision that sets back the club again.

For what it's worth I don't have a clue whether the recent run of games is a slump or part of a wider problem. But then neither do most of you. So let's wait a wee while before setting the club back again.

I have absolutely no bother sticking by Roberto for the time being provided I see evidence thst he is prepared to try sommat else when the game plan which led to me spending the whole month of December in an unseasonal depression clearly ain't working.

At last I saw that last night so I have snapped out if it now and look forward to seeing more improvement against City on Saturday,

Sod City.....they aren't so hot.

They needed the referee to hand them the three points at their place.

Everton and Roberto can be so good for each other.

We are crying out for a man to lead us back from the wilderness.

We are still a massive club which means something in the football world.

I think he has got the message now that Everton isn't Swansea or Wigan and that we aren't merely spectators who stand around applauding dull football even if, as against QPR, we are winning.

This is Roberto's big chance to establish himself as a major coach.

He can grow with the job and with our wonderful old institution.

The great coaches don't paint themselves into a corner with myopic notions about how the game should be played.

They evolve their ideas and taper their thinking.

Roberto is a clever young man and I think there us every indication now that he will stop the rot and kick on again.

I have absolutely no bother sticking by Roberto for the time being provided I see evidence thst he is prepared to try sommat else when the game plan which led to me spending the whole month of December in an unseasonal depression clearly ain't working.

At last I saw that last night so I have snapped out if it now and look forward to seeing more improvement against City on Saturday,

I think he has got the message now that Everton isn't Swansea or Wigan and that we aren't merely spectators who stand around applauding dull football even if, as against QPR, we are winning.

The great coaches don't paint themselves into a corner with myopic notions about how the game should be played.

Roberto is a clever young man and I think there us every indication now that he will stop the rot and kick on again.

Quite like all this.

I want all those things too, and I'm dying for Roberto to turn all this crap round.

Its quite simple really.

We lose more games between now and march through poor defending and sloppy goals conceded then he needs to be sacked. Otherwise he will destroy all the groundwork Moyes did to get us to where we have been.

If we start winning games, especially at home and finish meekly in midtable then we should back him in the summer to sign his players, pray we let some of the liabilities go and have him really kick on from there to show he isnt just a wigan manager.

That in my view is one of the best posts put on this thread, well done.

We were told by one fan, “Martinez will beat a dead horse for all it is worth. This rigidity will possibly mean that Everton have periods where his attractive play decimates other teams in the league with a more primitive playing style, but then other teams will be well prepared for his often predictable ethos of focussing all possession down one flank by passing sideways across the pitch, which is easily negated by the opposition playing a wider formation. Therefore, I think under Martinez you will have absolutely blinders and then the next week absolute shockers.”

Another Wiganer told us, “When things don’t go to plan, you’ll not see changes in tactics (or personnel until at least 80 minutes): there is no plan B. The attacking tempo is very slow and our breaks always relied on a single man, so often were stopped in their tracks. Your free kicks will be wasted with short passes when they could easily be put into the box; that’s academic though since you’ll rarely see more than 1 or 2 players in the box.”

Read more: http://www.nsno.co.uk/everton-news/2015/01/are-wigan-fans-warnings-haunting-martinez/#ixzz3OEDHr93x
Follow us: @nsno on Twitter | nilsatis on Facebook

I really hope either he goes this month or we sign a quality centre half, what about that van dijk fella at celtic? at least under moyes you could more or less predict how a match would go and what the result would be, with the only recent exception being the shock home loss to Wigan in the cup in his last season. under martinez we've had far too many days like this already. moyes was consistent and dependable, this guy is a loose cannon. not a great asset to have at a club in need of a new owner and stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back