Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...actually, I thought the comments/observations made therein that link were well articulated . Perhaps I lack your powers of condescension...
They were two posts by fans who'd just seen him walk out on their club...after handing them their first trophy ever. Ungrateful isn't the word.

I bet there'd be their equivalents on here in spades if Martinez ever won us anything:

"He's ok, but he's not hoofing the ball long enough".

Great to be in a relegation scrap with Burnley, Hull. Leicester, WBA, etc. isn't it.

Hope he turns it around and we can at least have the obscurity of mid-table mediocrity. If this was his first season it would be more acceptable and it would look like he was still finding his feet with us. Instead he inherited a squad which had instilled into them over a long period of time an ethos of fantastic team spirit and a defensive discipline which was second to none. He added his own attacking style and positivity, let players like Barkley off the leash and the result was a superb season.

Then instead of ensuring it continued, he has a joke of a pre-season, the consequences of which we are now seeing as players are clearly not as fit as they used to be and appear to be more susceptible to injury. Then the cardinal sin of taking the defensive discipline and organisation for granted instead of working on it in training, favouring instead spending the time on 'ball retention' which has got us nowhere except slipping down the league as everyone else has sussed us out.

I really hope he has learned his lesson and will not repeat these mistakes but I ain't holding my breath. The worst part is that we are likely to lose our better players if this continues which would be unforgivable.

F ing Everton do my head in sometimes.

Great to be in a relegation scrap with Burnley, Hull. Leicester, WBA, etc. isn't it.

Hope he turns it around and we can at least have the obscurity of mid-table mediocrity. If this was his first season it would be more acceptable and it would look like he was still finding his feet with us. Instead he inherited a squad which had instilled into them over a long period of time an ethos of fantastic team spirit and a defensive discipline which was second to none. He added his own attacking style and positivity, let players like Barkley off the leash and the result was a superb season.

Then instead of ensuring it continued, he has a joke of a pre-season, the consequences of which we are now seeing as players are clearly not as fit as they used to be and appear to be more susceptible to injury. Then the cardinal sin of taking the defensive discipline and organisation for granted instead of working on it in training, favouring instead spending the time on 'ball retention' which has got us nowhere except slipping down the league as everyone else has sussed us out.

I really hope he has learned his lesson and will not repeat these mistakes but I ain't holding my breath. The worst part is that we are likely to lose our better players if this continues which would be unforgivable.

F ing Everton do my head in sometimes.
We have 21 points from 20 games now. In 2010/11 we had 22 points from 20 games. Had Moyes 'thrown away the defensive strength and discipline' that season by the halfway mark too? A season earlier we had 23 points from 20 games.

Unreal over reaction and typical of the hysteria clogging up Everton forums at the moment.

By the way, in 2009/10 we finished 8th, in 2010/11 we finished 7th.

Last edited:
We have 21 points from 20 games now. In 2010/11 we had 22 points from 20 games. Had Moyes 'thrown away the defensive strength and discipline' that season by the halfway mark too? A season earlier we had 23 points from 20 games.

Unreal over reaction and typical of the hysteria clogging up Everton forums at the moment.

By the way, in 2009/10 we finished 8th, in 2010/11 we finished 7th.

Saying that we have to take the threat of relegation seriously isn't hysteria. I don't expect us to go down. But any team with 21 points from 20 games has got some hard work to do, just to chalk up the points to avoid the risk of relegation. What Moyes's team achieved in the second half of those two seasons was beyond what anyone expected - and you were one of those who never gave Moyes proper credit for that. I think it's facile to assume that the present team will bounce back as strongly or in the same way. There are a lot of problems that need fixing, and I won't list them all here, but they won't fix themselves overnight. The question is whether Martinez is up to the job. I don't think fans generally are overreacting, most Evertonians understand that patience is sometimes necessary, managers have to be given time, we've had bad luck with injuries and so on. There's been no hostile chanting at GP for instance. But it's not just a few games, we've been below par all season, and with every game the confidence of many honest fans is ebbing away in Martinez's ability to turn this around.

Saying that we have to take the threat of relegation seriously isn't hysteria. I don't expect us to go down. But any team with 21 points from 20 games has got some hard work to do, just to chalk up the points to avoid the risk of relegation. What Moyes's team achieved in the second half of those two seasons was beyond what anyone expected - and you were one of those who never gave Moyes proper credit for that. I think it's facile to assume that the present team will bounce back as strongly or in the same way. There are a lot of problems that need fixing, and I won't list them all here, but they won't fix themselves overnight. The question is whether Martinez is up to the job. I don't think fans generally are overreacting, most Evertonians understand that patience is sometimes necessary, managers have to be given time, we've had bad luck with injuries and so on. There's been no hostile chanting at GP for instance. But it's not just a few games, we've been below par all season, and with every game the confidence of many honest fans is ebbing away in Martinez's ability to turn this around.

Spot on, you've saved me the hassle of replying. When someone resorts to misquoting you there is no point in responding anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, you can be concerned without calling for a manager to be dismissed though can't you? Have you seen these constant polls about whether the manager should keep his job? They started about three weeks ago! These people are hysterical, no question. And there's no excuse for it at all. As I just demonstrated, recent history tells us we've been here before under a manager supposedly safe as houses, and then shot away in the second half of the season to be very comfortable.

A late equaliser at home to West Ham and its celebration time akin to winning the champions league. what an absolute farce, how on earth this guy is still in a job i will never know. there's absolutely no reason to give him more time, its the same old routine every week with no sign of improvement. in reality its quite the opposite, and he's completely destroying and unravelling the progress we made under Moyes. Steve Mc Claren should be brought in in my opinion.

We're sitting here having abstract debates about whether or not RM is the man for the job when the truth is the time for that was 4-5 games into the season. I firmly believe that defeats to city and wbrom will maybe give too much for any new man to come in and do to save us.

The hilarious bit is that those begging for support of the manager now were the very people who were sticking the knife into the previous gaffer at the slightest hint of an opportunity.

You couldn't make this hypocrisy up.

We're sitting here having abstract debates about whether or not RM is the man for the job when the truth is the time for that was 4-5 games into the season. I firmly believe that defeats to city and wbrom will maybe give too much for any new man to come in and do to save us.

Who would you have in and replace us mate? More importantly, you mention we should have sacked Martinez after 5 games this season when the warning signs took place so who should we have got in then do you reckon? If we beat City and WBA does that just buy him time or does that change your mind? Last season, what were your thoughts when we were winning 21 games, when we were chasing 4th were you still thinking we need to make a change? Lots of questions sorry mate, just interested in your opinion.

Who would you have in and replace us mate? More importantly, you mention we should have sacked Martinez after 5 games this season when the warning signs took place so who should we have got in then do you reckon? If we beat City and WBA does that just buy him time or does that change your mind? Last season, what were your thoughts when we were winning 21 games, when we were chasing 4th were you still thinking we need to make a change? Lots of questions sorry mate, just interested in your opinion.
No mate where did I say sack him after 5 games? I would have said after 5 games let's give him a decent run up until Christmas and if we are struggling badly (as we are now) then sack him.

And I've stated on many occasions that I think we need a British manager in as they understand the British game. Martinez simply does not understand the requirements of the British game hence the players led by a 21 year have had to direct their own tactics this week in an effort not to get humiliated week in week out. We are not wigan or southampton - small provincial clubs - where managers with an outsiders mentality can come in and impose there own ideals on a set of players. We are Everton football club steeped in the very history of the English game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back