Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we were ever in this position with a run of form this bad with no end in sight under Moyes in January. And if we had of been, for all of Moyes's many, many faults, he's not one you could ever see taking a team down.

13 August 2005 Manchester United H 0–2
21 August 2005 Bolton Wanderers A 1–0
27 August 2005 Fulham A 0–1
10 September 2005 Portsmouth H 0–1
19 September 2005 Arsenal A 0–2
24 September 2005 Wigan Athletic H 0–1
2 October 2005 Manchester City A 0–2
15 October 2005 Tottenham Hotspur A 0–2
23 October 2005 Chelsea H 1–1
29 October 2005 Birmingham City A 1–0
6 November 2005 Middlesbrough H 1–0
19 November 2005 West Bromwich Albion A 0–4
27 November 2005 Newcastle United H 1–0
3 December 2005 Blackburn Rovers A 2–0
11 December 2005 Manchester United A 1–1
14 December 2005 West Ham United H 1–2
17 December 2005 Bolton Wanderers H 0–4
26 December 2005 Aston Villa A 0–4
28 December 2005 Liverpool H 1–3

17 points out of 19 games going into january. 17th in the table, knocked out of europe twice. Terrible football.

We are within 3 and 4 points of WBA and Palace, they have already sacked their managers and they expected to be in the bottom half of the league.
Anyone who watched Everton today and thinks we don't need a change and need it now is deluded.

17 points out of 19 games going into january. 17th in the table, knocked out of europe twice. Terrible football.
Christ how quick we forget,I feel a lot better seeing that

I wouldn't say he's lost the dressing room completely like moyes did at UTD but I'm pretty sure I bet a lot of players are seriously doubting his tactics and selections.

I personaly think he's got way over confident from last season, his rotation policy has been farcical along with team selections.

The worry is seeing what he did at Wigan shows he has one way and he will not change. It is a worry.

We are within 3 and 4 points of WBA and Palace, they have already sacked their managers and they expected to be in the bottom half of the league.
Anyone who watched Everton today and thinks we don't need a change and need it now is deluded.

Well Pardew and Pulis aren't available.

Maybe Felix Megat? Jol?

The wrath of Goodiosn if we lose the Cup game. It's gonna seem weird if when I say this, but if the players really want to back RM and want to prove to the fans that not all is lost yet, we need to beat City at home. And for some strange reason, I get a gut feeling that we will.

That's quite a statement that, don't like it.

Why i'm worried is simple, our goalkeepers are absolute utter <use a proper word, what are you, 12? - admin> beyond belief in fact, somehow we managed to get away with it last year but the signs have always been there.

I thought paul gerrard, richard wright, steve simmonson were the worst keepers i have have had to endure but my god Robles is leagues below those clowns!!!

Howards decline in form has been coming for a while, never saves us in matches and never will hence why we always fall at hurdles! as for robles jeez i'd rather not dear christ.

Defence not far behind but has potential if managed right!! rest of the team is just void of confidence hence our wank form.

Until roberto solves this simple puzzle then the cancer will just continue to spread until its becomes to late, and that my friends isnt that far away!

If he doesnt sort a proper keeper soon I really fear for this club!

For some reason you left the last two games out there, which would have included the traditional new years day fixture - we won the next two games, and our last away win was December, not October - and a December that included an away point at Old Trafford.

This is worse. Not in terms of points, but in terms of form. We were crap against QPR and won by default - if they had turned up, it'd have been a different story. The fans knew it too, hence the boos at 3-0.

And can you see a January/February revival from this team under Martinez with the teams we've got to play (City, Arsenal, Chelsea, United?) I certainly can't.

In my view, we haven't been in this much trouble going into a new year since 1999, except arguably Walter Smith's last season in 2002 - but we'll never know as Moyes came in and turned it on it's head.

Defensively I'd like to see us being able to hold a line the width of our box with the midfielders filling in the gaps. Even when we're in position our centrebacks get sucked out and leave a huge gap in behind them. It's quite basic. Most teams that come to Goodison are able to hold their shape, so I don't understand why we find it so challenging.

Going forward we tend to pass the ball far too slowly and we have very little movement, so it's easy to defend against. They can even afford to double up on the man on the ball because we're not going to exploit the space that he leaves. We don't tend to make runs. We receive the ball stood still and then decide what to do with it.

Has a lot really changed since Moyes era? We probably commit more men forward and we keep possession rather than putting crosses in. Otherwise probably not a great deal. Lukaku is as starved of service as Saha and Yakubu before him.

Kamikaze defending, midfield is covering defence, defence is rushing to cover midfield. Discipline. We are doing 90% of the oppo's job for them.

That's the managers call. God love him.

Our players (it's no longer a side) are struggling to cope with the system, pass it off and responsibility for the fudge up is gone. The players we have can't do a Barca job. Sorry to the Martinez apologists but thats the fact. The big fact. The only fact. The fact that counts, the fact that matters, the fact that if we dont change will factually have Everton FC relegated. Fact fact diddly fact.

Our forward play is ponderous, its predictable, its pedestrian, and its perillous for our defending. So slow, so lacking in taking a chance and making a run. I'm wondering if Pienaar can't be azzed because in the current regime there is no room for him - why go out and look bad where you have no other option. Experienced pro's.

With possession play breaking down at the back, no one is making runs because the ball aint coming to them anyway, we're static because the side is crapping its pants, or rather the individuals are - the team ethic, the togetherness has been erroded finally. Thanks the system of Roberto - keep goin laaa, we'll be non league if it keeps going.

Moyes was a defensive driller, loved it, it was his oxygen, if you can't go and win it then make sure you spoil it for them. Martinez seems to be win at all costs even if it means getting spanked 4 games in 5. It's nuts. Saha was a more natural link up man for a striker compared to Yak and Lukaku, he worked the flanks and spread the ball to them (flanks) when he was found center. Yak was just a 38 year old powerhouse that loved a tussle and slapping down CB's. Shame we got him so late and his age caught up with him. Yaks work off the ball (pre injury) was miles different to Lukaku. That's why he's here and not on Chelsea's books.

Make us hard to beat, learn to get rid of the ball before we cut our own throat. Pragmatism. Possession is fine, especially when we are leading, but flogging a dead horse aint gonna make it live and breath and kick again. The individuals that used to be a side cant take much more beating day in day out, thats why match days are so bad. Do some learning or pish off and never look back.

(Not a mither at you BillyCopper)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back