Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's easier than exploring the footballing mismanagement avenue aspect for some

Ha I really can't believe that some think the only way we could be playing this bad is sabotage, and with no evidence to back it up.

I mean It wouldn't be the first time it would have happened in football but seems more like clueless management to me.

They are consistently uncritical, so when one of them speaks out you know they smell blood in the water. That's how local hacks work. If a manager was in control they wouldn't dare cross swords. McNulty did with Royle in the past and he was dead to Royle from that moment on.
he wasn't even being that

@GregOK
"Nobody sure what's up with Garbutt. Wasn't injured v NUFC. Possibly just not select"

@GregOK
"We will ask about Garbutt's absence too"

you are bloody sensitive mate. barely even critical, just curious if it was an injury or left out.

I'd have anticipated this more last season, yeah. I was amazed they took to the system so quickly. Maybe the system isn't the problem now, who knows for sure other than the people concerned. But the authority of the manager is definitely being questioned and that's transmitted to the field of play.

I think we can debate about why it's happening; what isn't really open for debate now is that it is happening.

I think 'they' took to it because Barry got brought in and had the 'respect' of the likes of Distin, Jags and Howard. McCarthy showed a lot of energy and determination and along with the other Wigan signings would play the way Martinez wanted. Something all managers do, bring in their players. Lukaku was on loan with something to prove and Mirallas was playing for a world cup place. Similar to Jags and Baines.

And that's what Everton have driven you to mate, leaving at ht because you know there will be no fight from the players. I've never left a game but you know what, I think yesterday I would have come bloody close to it and I'm surprised there was still some fans left at the end after that spineless performance. Gutless, pathetic, embarrassing and disgraceful. Words to describe them all at the moment. The word pride should be tattooed on there thick heads so they have a reminder every waking moment of every day of what is expected when you play for Everton.

Exactly mate.
Ive never left a game before apart from the Derby 4-0 defeat (left at 60 minutes). But yesterday I just knew we were going to be even more clueless in the second half and I did watch the 2nd half when I got home. What I noted was the subs at half time - Mirallas off for Oviedo and Besic off for Lukaku. I later read Mirallas wasn't feeling good tbf but why does he continue to stick with Barry, it's sickening.
I don't even think the players knew what system they were playing in the second half, everything seemed so unstructed and overcomplicated which is down to the manager but, as I was saying to a lad sitting next to me, we can't get on the managers back yet because we witnessed how impressive some of the football we played last season was but I believe it'll get worse before better.
In terms of the lack of fight and aggression to play for the shirt, I noticed it on several occasions when players backed out of challenges and when somebody was brought down (think it was Barkley) and the only player that protested was Naismith. Time to fix this otherwise fans who are the most important aspect of any club are going to drift further and further away. For example I heard many shouts of fans about how they are not going anymore because of the players.

This is pure conjecture and I hope I'm wrong, but for me it goes back to Swansea away in the cup. Prior to this game, we had played a few 'off' games since the tail end of last season. This game, he decides to mix it all up and plays players who either have been out injured or are reserves. We play our usual League Cup game plan and look like a League 2 side. Martinez slates Distin, a senior figure in the dressing room. Since then, there have been rumblings of discontent, form has got steadily worse, and players just haven't looked up for it even in the big games (United, Liverpool.) It's pretty pathetic that the players seem to have kicked up such a fuss, but at the same time, it's down to Martinez to turn that around. He's shown over the past few games that he doesn't seem to know how. By playing the older players he's simply putting out the types that have been making mistakes, and probably who are quite close to Distin.

I'll probably be totally negged for this next point, but I honestly can't see the issue with making a change. Yes it's harsh and yes we've been used to a steady boat over the past few years, but plenty of clubs have changed managers and seen an improvement. Given the quality is there already, it's surely just a case of a fresh start, better morale and willingness to mix things up. This is the bit I'll be negged for- even the likes of Mark Hughes or Steve McClaren I feel would be able to come in, play good football at home to the likes of West Brom but Stoke teams to death when we need to grind our way to a 1-nil win away to Arsenal. It's pretty simple really, always play to your opponents weaknesses. Sadly, ours right now seems to be team spirit, and when we rely on a brand of football that requires patience, covering for your fellow players and communication, it's bound to fail.

I'm gutted for Martinez as I really loved watching us play this season. Hopefully I'll get egg on my face and he'll turn it around. But I'm not sure we can afford to have even one off-season given our club's precarious state.

Bill won't sack Martinez yet as he's only just finished forking out thousands on painting his mural on the side of the stadium!

I think Kenwrights in on all this.

He's conspiring with the players to play crap and force Martinez to quit so Bill doesn't have to sack him and pay him off.

Bill knows he's made a mistake and wnats to get one of the Finch Farm cone layers in.

This is pure conjecture and I hope I'm wrong, but for me it goes back to Swansea away in the cup. Prior to this game, we had played a few 'off' games since the tail end of last season. This game, he decides to mix it all up and plays players who either have been out injured or are reserves. We play our usual League Cup game plan and look like a League 2 side. Martinez slates Distin, a senior figure in the dressing room. Since then, there have been rumblings of discontent, form has got steadily worse, and players just haven't looked up for it even in the big games (United, Liverpool.) It's pretty pathetic that the players seem to have kicked up such a fuss, but at the same time, it's down to Martinez to turn that around. He's shown over the past few games that he doesn't seem to know how. By playing the older players he's simply putting out the types that have been making mistakes, and probably who are quite close to Distin.

I'll probably be totally negged for this next point, but I honestly can't see the issue with making a change. Yes it's harsh and yes we've been used to a steady boat over the past few years, but plenty of clubs have changed managers and seen an improvement. Given the quality is there already, it's surely just a case of a fresh start, better morale and willingness to mix things up. This is the bit I'll be negged for- even the likes of Mark Hughes or Steve McClaren I feel would be able to come in, play good football at home to the likes of West Brom but Stoke teams to death when we need to grind our way to a 1-nil win away to Arsenal. It's pretty simple really, always play to your opponents weaknesses. Sadly, ours right now seems to be team spirit, and when we rely on a brand of football that requires patience, covering for your fellow players and communication, it's bound to fail.

I'm gutted for Martinez as I really loved watching us play this season. Hopefully I'll get egg on my face and he'll turn it around. But I'm not sure we can afford to have even one off-season given our club's precarious state.

We would NEVER get a manager like Hughes in. He is boring, old fashioned and the fans wouldn't take to him (Irwine at WBA).
We'd probably go with somebody more like Guy Poyet, he knows how to motivate his teams and can make them hard to beat.
Btw - Not saying I want Roberto to go.

My take on is it the players carried on where Moyes left off last season - they essentially managed themselves to 5th. Moyes did state that he said to the players on many occasions that they were good enough to coach themselves and that's basically what they did.

This season Martinez has disrupted that ability for the players to get the best out of themselves - chaotic tactics, bizarre positional requirements and demoralising them by openly questioning the players ability to the press with his 'I'll never change my style' rants.

Exactly mate.
Ive never left a game before apart from the Derby 4-0 defeat (left at 60 minutes). But yesterday I just knew we were going to be even more clueless in the second half and I did watch the 2nd half when I got home. What I noted was the subs at half time - Mirallas off for Oviedo and Besic off for Lukaku. I later read Mirallas wasn't feeling good tbf but why does he continue to stick with Barry, it's sickening.
I don't even think the players knew what system they were playing in the second half, everything seemed so unstructed and overcomplicated which is down to the manager but, as I was saying to a lad sitting next to me, we can't get on the managers back yet because we witnessed how impressive some of the football we played last season was but I believe it'll get worse before better.
In terms of the lack of fight and aggression to play for the shirt, I noticed it on several occasions when players backed out of challenges and when somebody was brought down (think it was Barkley) and the only player that protested was Naismith. Time to fix this otherwise fans who are the most important aspect of any club are going to drift further and further away. For example I heard many shouts of fans about how they are not going anymore because of the players.

I know what your saying regarding tactics, formations and I totally get that mate. But what is inexcusable is the lack of effort. You know yourself when you were a kid and let's say the coach says to you "your playing right back and I need you to do a b and c". Natural instinct tells you that you may have to do something a little different and you have to use your own nouse, such as when to get close and pressure a player, when to make a run, when to pass and so on. The lot of them are playing like they haven't got a clue when in fact they have as they dealt with it easy enough last season. They have taken the word "bottlers" to a whole new level this season and I'm not surprised some folk were saying they have had enough yesterday. Ultimately this will lead to a change at the top and I k ow some want a change and some don't. For me, I've lost complete faith in the players because of a new man comes in and they suddenly start firing on all cylinders it will be proof ( not that I need any as it's plain to see from yesterday's performance ) that they haven't put in the required effort and we're happy to not break sweat and take defeats on the chin without a care in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back