Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy aside his transfers record is appalling

Yep

Doesn't suit the agenda though .

Short memories there, chums. Gareth Barry being crap is a relatively new phenomenon, he was instrumental for us last season. As were Lukaku and Deufoleu. McCarthy could very well be our most influential player for seasons to come so I don't think the importance of that signing can be underestimated either. He's been fairly crap otherwise, but I don't think he ever envisioned a time when he'd actually have to play Antolin Alcaraz and Joel Robles.

Short memories there, chums. Gareth Barry being crap is a relatively new phenomenon, he was instrumental for us last season. As were Lukaku and Deufoleu. McCarthy could very well be our most influential player for seasons to come so I don't think the importance of that signing can be underestimated either. He's been fairly crap otherwise, but I don't think he ever envisioned a time when he'd actually have to play Antolin Alcaraz and Joel Robles.

Everyone being crap is a relatively new phenomenon.

You can blame Martinez all you want but those goals on Thursday were from shocking defending, and all season the defending has been the worst I've seen for a long long time at this club, top of the league in the Prem for individual mistakes that have lead to goals, I believe it's over a third of goals conceded have been from player error.

I hear a lot of talk of no to 'knee jerk' reactions over getting rid of Martinez. Now this may be all well and good about trying not to be to hasty over certain situations, but will people still be using this mantra come February when things are still going tits up.

If that's the case why did he sign them then? this is what I can't understand,nobody wanted Alcarez or Robles but the manager obviously rates them,that in itself is disconcerting

You can blame Martinez all you want but those goals on Thursday were from shocking defending, and all season the defending has been the worst I've seen for a long long time at this club, top of the league in the Prem for individual mistakes that have lead to goals, I believe it's over a third of goals conceded have been from player error.

Which is a direct result of a lack of confidence because the manager is sticking to a system that requires the players to want the ball constantly and be able to find the next pass. When they're confident, this flows naturally, but when you're not, you're the easiest side to play against because all you do is harry the defence to make those decisions quicker.

We've actually got more of a chance of beating Man City than West Brom at the moment for that reason - City won't harass us in possession as much. The problem, obviously, is that City will more often than not just beat us with their quality anyway.

If that's the case why did he sign them then? this is what I can't understand,nobody wanted Alcarez or Robles but the manager obviously rates them,that in itself is disconcerting

For squad depth, I guess. Cack signings, but I think to say McCarthy is his only success story and reel off the names of certified third choicers is fudging the facts.

I feel like there's 3 issues with that.

1) The players who are making those errors are players who martinez bought and picked.
2) Martinez is coaching these players and they're still making errors.
3) If you dominate games, your defence isn't under pressure and doesn't make mistakes. We let in 2 goals yesterday because hull spent enough time attacking our defence that they cracked and let in goals, we scored 0 because we didn't spend enough time attacking their defence that they made errors. Not because their defence is better but because it was untested in the way our's was tested. The errors are coming with the tide of play which is the worrying bit.

Lukaku overpriced and not used correctly

Barry given a 2 year contract lol

Del wasn't a signing it was a loan so meh

His transfers are average at best

I hear a lot of talk of no to 'knee jerk' reactions over getting rid of Martinez. Now this may be all well and good about trying not to be to hasty over certain situations, but will people still be using this mantra come February when things are still going tits up.

I've said it before, I'm using it up until november next year.

We can lose every single game we play from now until next autumn and I still would say it's too early to sack martinez.

Martinez is the manager he takes plaudits when we win, so has to take blame when we lose.

If a ship goes down the captain carries the can, you can't go round blaming everyone else.

Not talking about you in particular but it's embarrassing the extent some are going to defend the manager

Which is a direct result of a lack of confidence because the manager is sticking to a system that requires the players to want the ball constantly and be able to find the next pass. When they're confident, this flows naturally, but when you're not, you're the easiest side to play against because all you do is harry the defence to make those decisions quicker.

We've actually got more of a chance of beating Man City than West Brom at the moment for that reason - City won't harass us in possession as much. The problem, obviously, is that City will more often than not just beat us with their quality anyway.
I partly agree with you, the problem has been Jags and Distin have looked like mugs this season because they are not comfortable with the ball at feet, so the way Martinez is asking them to play is putting pressure on them through their lack of ability.

But, there have been some shocking bread and butter defending aswell, gifting goals beyond belief sometimes, is this down to panic from lack of confidence?, maybe, but there comes a time when players playing badly have to take responsibility for their own football and the way they are playing.

Players seemed to unwilling to infiltrate the oppositions penalty area or even cross the ball into it. Now, this must be down to managerial instructions as opposed to individuals within the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back