Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case why did he sign them then? this is what I can't understand,nobody wanted Alcarez or Robles but the manager obviously rates them,that in itself is disconcerting

When he stepped in he needed faces he knew, players that were his pals, he couldn't come in and take a wrecking ball to Moyes' side on his own, he needed allies in the dressing room. That for me is the only fathomable explanation.
Once the erosion was started it was a matter of time before the defensive minded, hard to beat, fortress Goodison, fewest (one of) goals conceded, sides was taken to pieces.
We are reaping what he has sewn. We can't defend for toffee. Apt don't you think?
Will he stick to his principals? I'm unsure because I don't reckon its principals in the first place, if it was boxing the corner or the ref would have stopped it, as a side we've been on the ropes and repeatedly put on the deck.
The play is fragile, the side is fragile, but worst of all what little guts and heart that are left aren't even on life support anymore. It's his doing, he changes or he goes. It disgusts me to have to turn on a manager because we've had dark days, darker than even these but his beligerence, his stubborness, his stupidity cannot continue.

Awful football, awful tactics, awful management, but most awful of all, taking it without so much as a whimper. Shameful.

To be honest I thought as Evertonians we were better than calling for the managers head after a poor run of form, feels like I've stumbled onto a bipolar Tottenham forum or something at times recently.

We're not Tottenham though.

Tottenham want their managers head when finishing 7th

We're in the bottom half and the majority of fans want Martinez to stay.

It's understandable that theirs going to be criticism of him though

You can blame Martinez all you want but those goals on Thursday were from shocking defending, and all season the defending has been the worst I've seen for a long long time at this club, top of the league in the Prem for individual mistakes that have lead to goals, I believe it's over a third of goals conceded have been from player error.

*Thinks back to martinez's Wigan sides and remembers how great they were at defending and how he got all the rightful plaudits from his peers for the master class in the defensive arts.

I partly agree with you, the problem has been Jags and Distin have looked like mugs this season because they are not comfortable with the ball at feet, so the way Martinez is asking them to play is putting pressure on them through their lack of ability.

But, there have been some shocking bread and butter defending aswell, gifting goals beyond belief sometimes, is this down to panic from lack of confidence?, maybe, but there comes a time when players playing badly have to take responsibility for their own football and the way they are playing.

Yes, but when you have a team that hasn't played back to back games in recent memory in the same side, combined with players out of position like Barkley left wing and Barry centre back, then it's absolutely no surprise that nobody knows their arse from their elbow at the moment.

I'd be the first to blame the players if I felt it was down to them, but it simply can't be when you look at the evidence that suggests Martinez is responsible for sticking to his guns even when they've got no bullets in them.

We've been clamouring for the team to be allowed to battle and grind out results since early December, possibly earlier, and it was as clear as crystal that trouble was ahead to knowledgeable fans, so much so that the side was booed at 3-0 against QPR as it was apparent that the scoreline was papering over massive cracks. There has been, at most, one or two actually good performances in the league this season over 20 games, and the manager has done absolutely nothing to rectify it; instead, his response has been pure delusion about "incredible", "phenomenal" performances.

He has sleepwalked into a relegation battle with one of our most talented squads in generations. He has absolutely nobody but himself to blame.

There's no point sacking him. No manager I'd want would leave their club half way through the season, and hiring a currently available manager seems daft. If they were a good option you'd assume they'd already have a job.

Pulls would have been an option but there's no way he'd have settled for a short term deal.

We need to hope that Martinez AND the players turn it around.

You can blame Martinez all you want but those goals on Thursday were from shocking defending, and all season the defending has been the worst I've seen for a long long time at this club, top of the league in the Prem for individual mistakes that have lead to goals, I believe it's over a third of goals conceded have been from player error.
There have been too many to entirely blame the players

A well drilled defense makes less errors

This issue for me shows why we are never included with the "big clubs"

Last season was fantastic yes, and for that it earned him some time, but for me "some time" is putting up with half a season of gashness and then for the manager to change it. The fact we are getting worse and not better is a massive worry and with the quality of players we have 4 points above relegation at this stage is a disgrace .

I'd be the first to blame the players if I felt it was down to them, but it simply can't be when you look at the evidence that suggests Martinez is responsible for sticking to his guns even when they've got no bullets in them.

Brilliant. Martinez - bringing a gun to a gun fight but forgetting the bullets.

We're not Tottenham though.

Tottenham want their managers head when finishing 7th

We're in the bottom half and the majority of fans want Martinez to stay.

It's understandable that theirs going to be criticism of him though

We finished 5th.

Criticism is fine and can often be helpful but blaming him for everything that's wrong with us and not being subjective isn't fair.

He's gone from the man who can do no wrong to being at fault for all of footballs problems in a very very short space of time, and some people seem to perversely reveling in it.

Last season was fantastic yes, and for that it earned him some time, but for me "some time" is putting up with half a season of gashness and then for the manager to change it. The fact we are getting worse and not better is a massive worry and with the quality of players we have 4 points above relegation at this stage is a disgrace .
Lots of big clubs give the managers time mate. The clubs who tend to spend a lot more money seem to prioritise instant results and will sack quickly. Given we don't have that much money I am not sure it would be effective for us.

While we are a big club, what I will also say is I would hate us to become like Chelsea regarding sacking managers. I think it's the worst side of being successful and not really the Everton way.

We aint considered a big club mainly due to the almost 20 year gap since we last won a single thing, that tends to mark clubs down as also rans.

Lots of big clubs give the managers time mate. The clubs who tend to spend a lot more money seem to prioritise instant results and will sack quickly. Given we don't have that much money I am not sure it would be effective for us.

While we are a big club, what I will also say is I would hate us to become like Chelsea regarding sacking managers. I think it's the worst side of being successful and not really the Everton way.

Same mate, but the issue is it's clear as day something is massively wrong and for the players we have we should be nowhere near where we are in the table. Villa and Stoke amongst others are above us, we are 6 points off just 10th and 4 off relegation. If he was at any other top 6 side he would have been punted and rightly so.

Last season whilst fantastic wasn't a miracle, we got 5th but as a club we were easily good enough to finish 7th/8th even in transition. So whilst that does give him time as he did do well I don't think it buys him years which some people suggest, as simply put our best won't stay at a mid table side and right now theirs not 3 worse clubs than us in the league.

What do they do in training though.
Surely if we keep defending like we are someone at the club should be doing some defensive work.
This is part of the problem nobody is doing anything to change things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back