Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We resemble a mid handicap golfer who has completely lost their swing pattern. We are all over the shop. For anyone who has played golf you will know the best solution in that instance is really to go back to basics and simplify what you do. You can’t approach each shot in the same way as if you were playing well.

Another analogy would be for poker players. In poker it pays to be the most aggressive player at the table. But that does not mean you play each hand, in any situation aggressively. While you can have a broad outlook of being aggressive you need to play each dual on it’s merits.

When Martinez talks about strategy and tactics I think it’s important for him to recognise these defects. I think having an overall long term strategy for how the club should play, returning it to the School of Science ethos is very beneficial. It works for clubs like Ajax (a club we should try to emulate in my view).

However this mustn’t mean in every game we always look to play exactly that way. I think that’s the synthesis that we have to merge, the pragmatism against the overarching vision. Playing attacking football is fantastic, but we should always remember that playing attractive football really depends quite heavily on doing it well. Doing a poor imitation of Barcelona makes you look lifeless, passionless and disinterested.

I don’t think Martinez should compromise his bigger vision. I think that’s what makes him quite unique from other coaches available to us. He does need to find a way to get over more immediate needs though.

If it was me I would start by playing Baines and Coleman in midfield roles in front of Browning and Garbutt to make us more solid. He will not be sacked and shouldn’t be. I have been consistent he should only be sacked if relegation looks a likely threat. At present it doesn’t, but in 4 weeks time unfortunately that may be different. I hope he can get some support this January.

Sort of sums up our football at the moment:

H86uYbV.gif

I hear a lot of talk of no to 'knee jerk' reactions over getting rid of Martinez. Now this may be all well and good about trying not to be to hasty over certain situations, but will people still be using this mantra come February when things are still going tits up.

Oh, I definitely have a threshold. I'll be more than willing to do a 180 on this if it doesn't pick up, but I feel he's earned some slack for now.

I hear a lot of talk of no to 'knee jerk' reactions over getting rid of Martinez. Now this may be all well and good about trying not to be to hasty over certain situations, but will people still be using this mantra come February when things are still going tits up.

Stoke away, 4th March, there'd be 10 games and two months after that.

If we're still hovering above the relegation zone after that match then Kenwright needs to be very sure that Martinez will keep us up. Any doubt and he'll need a Plan B.

Had to think long and hard about this one. After yesterdays match I was in the 'yes camp'
Today, on reflection, probably no.

My biggest criticism to my RS mates has been how quickly they want to hang their managers out to dry at the first sign of trouble. I think calling for RM's head at this point would deffo fall in that category.

Yes, he has a lot to answer for, but I still think he should be given the time and benefit of the doubt to get over this 'second season syndrome'
Lest we forget how bad Moyes second season was? (Albeit with a much crapper team to pick from)

Had to think long and hard about this one. After yesterdays match I was in the 'yes camp'

My biggest criticism to my RS mates has been how quickly they want to hang their managers out to dry at the first sign of trouble. I think calling for RM's head at this point would deffo fall in that category.

Yes, he has a lot to answer for, but I still think he should be given the time and benefit of the doubt to get over this 'second season syndrome'
Lest we forget how bad Moyes second season was? (Albeit with a much crapper team to pick from)
fair point and i am the worlds worst for knee jerk at times.

think we all need to own the problem and sing them to that first win

Once again we use The RS as a moral code for how we should act.

Same as "oh we can't protest at the board that's KOPITE BEHAVIOUR!"

He has lost it.
Yeah totally agree, lets sack Roberto, then start to think about who can replace him, or even if theres is anyone available. If the new fella doesn't turn it around in five games lets sack him as well. This knee jerk reaction has worked well for the likes of Leeds, Cardiff and other teams so it should work for us!

I agree with your last line there mate - comparisons with Moyes' second full season are anachronistic, he had a far worse squad and senior professionals who actively pinned their hopes on a 17 year old to carry them.

Martinez seems to have built a poisonous squad of players who are not playing to anywhere near their level of ability. People criticise Distin (rightly) but Martinez has had three transfer windows to move him on. Osman has been given a new deal and disappeared, what a surprise. Barry got a deal and has nose dived in form.

To be honest, if Martinez doesnt leave or get sacked next week he won't be - changes cant be made in time. I cant fathom we will be on this form for the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back