Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know he's chaff? You can't know he's going to be chaff for us either.

He plays in the Championship, got relegated last season and no one else is interested in him.

McCarthy was known to be a talent watched by other clubs. This fella doesn't have the same rep.

But I admit, I'm basing this not on actually seeing him play. But one thing I can tell you is that the other top 7 clubs won't be signing a player like that while they attempt to push on.

Can't believe how people talk about Kone. I didn't realise our fans were either so petulant or so brilliantly insightful that they can dismiss a player after 12 minutes of football for Everton. It's not Bobby's fault he picked up a bad injury.

Because Kone looked dire in those couple of appearances for us.

Lot of hysteria completely misplaced here.

Let's say, for arguments sake, Martinez has £20 million in the coffers to spend. Maybe even £30m. Who knows?

He has this money now, and he knows the players he would like to bring in. Those players are likely to be available in the summer for less money than he would have to pay now. Paying a premium for some players now means that he won't have enough left over to bring in the others he wants.

Unless we sell someone else (and frankly, other than Heitinga and Hibbert who have no real value, I don't really want us to sell anyone else in the squad), there won't be a huge amount of money forthcoming in the summer (there never is), so whatever money we have right now, we need to be very careful with.

Yes, we could do with bodies to give us a boost in the race for 4th spot, but if we blew the cash now and were to miss out anyway we'd also have no room to continue to re-shape the squad in the summer.

Personally, Martinez has earned the right to do whatever the **** he likes. If he wants to do it this way, fine.

I don't believe for a moment that Kenwright is refusing to give him money.

M People... (prematch music: Search for the Hero, Moving on Up, One night in Heaven) - McCarthy, McCarthur, Mirallas, McGeady, McAleny, Magaye, Martinez..

yes mate because all midfielders play the same way an do the same thing. Holy Moly!
We need more options In midfielder you whopper. The squad is thin. We are relying on Osman whenever anyone in midfield gets injured and he's just not up to it lately.It's a decent squad filler. Some bad drama queens on this site. Far worse than even blue kipper was.

Really, you think? Cos he should have just said it as everyone knew that already. I think he was expecting Baines new contract to be tied up.

He was so vague on purpose, so that when it was just McGeady signing he still wasn't wrong.

Bit like keeping Osman out of the team then?

I'm not sure he's gonna be better than Osman. Leon's an experienced Prem player, tho' he's bench-quality himself when everyone's fit.

Martinez is yet to sign anyone permanently who didn't play for him at Wigan. Except McGeady. Who he tried to sign for Wigan several times.

Do we have any scouts anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back