Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus! A top 4 contender won't be happy with a bench like that.

So far:

McCarthy = been very good for us: success so far.
Alcaraz = looked good, but injury-prone: jury out.
Joel = flapped to let a goal in, not solid: failure so far.
Kone = looked horrendous, then got injured for a year: failure.

1 out of 4 is not a great success rate.

Kone played a handful of games mate, nothing to judge him on. Why are you being so negative?!
Alcaraz was on a free and is good back up, Joel is still young, really young for a GK.
And hopefully McCarthur will be a decent player, if he doesnt slot into the first team then he is excellent for the bench.

My problem is if injuries strike....

Howard's gets injured Robles comes in. Jags is out, in come alcaraz. Barry gets injured in comes new signing mcarthur playing next to ex Wigan man McCarthy. Lukaku returns to Chelsea and Kone starts up to.

That's half the Wigan team that got relegated ffs being managed by the guy who took them down!!
There's a fine line and Roberto IMO is verging going to far with too many ex Wigan.

What happened to this wide pool of players he spoke of. I find it worrying I really do.

Our squad is threadbare, Ossie has been bad for quiet a while. The players Marinez wants long term may not be available so I really do not see a problem with this one. If McCarthy, Barry and Barkley are fit he wont play if there is an injury he is in before Ossie makes sense to me.

Some people need to realise that it's ok not to rate someone that Martinez is trying to bring in.... it doesn't make you a bad Evertonian.

Some people need to stop judging players before they play in an Everton shirt, and thinking they know better than a manager that scouted him, signed him for Wigan 4 years ago, developed him, and saw him every single day in training. As opposed to once or twice a season playing against Everton, and occasionally on tv.

Peter Reid... Andy Gray... Paul Power... Paul Rideout... Marcus Bent... Gareth Barry... James McCarthy.... just a few names off the top of my head who we signed and who people moaned about at the time. And who proved critical Evertonians wrong.

Last edited:
Hmm. 2016 - that changes things a bit. I doubt we'd get him on the cheap in that case. Considering they made us cough up £13m for McCarthy, I can't see Whealan letting him go for anything other than top dollar.

In general, I'm OK with either paying peanuts for a squad player, or paying good wonga for quality. I ain't OK with paying good wonga for squad players.

Why are you being so negative?!

Not normally so negative, but Martinez raiding 5 players from his relegated ex-club when we're supposed to be pushing for top 4 is making me so.

There's a whole world out there brimming with young flair (sounds a bit yewtree that but you know what I mean).

Hmm. 2016 - that changes things a bit. I doubt we'd get him on the cheap in that case. Considering they made us cough up £13m for McCarthy, I can't see Whealan letting him go for anything other than top dollar.

In general, I'm OK with either paying peanuts for a squad player, or paying good wonga for quality. I ain't OK with paying good wonga for squad players.

That is the point. I doubt broken leg will be happy to let us have him for peanuts.

_70935540_019694370-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back