Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling him world-class is a stretch, he's not in my opinion.

Certainly not this season anyway. And when Pienaar's not playing, his form degenerates. World-class players generally aren't that reliant on a certain team-mate.

I love Baines, he's a proper icon. But to get ahead of the pack we sometimes have to make brutal decisions to further the squad (Fergie did it all the time at Man U).

... what.

Baines is the best left back in the world, bar none. That makes him world class. Just because he's had an iffy few months doesn't make that fact irrelevant

I think this is appalling. We've signed 4 of their players already and also stolen their manager. Wigan FC has been completely pillaged by Everton and I, as an Evertonian, am ashamed. How on Earth can we complain about people like Mark Hughes and David Moyes treating us as small time when we're raiding Wigan at will? Sickening

I'm also appalled that no one else on here seems to be bothered by it

Give it a rest Mikey. We have signed two of their players, and for good money. They money they wanted.

Robles was from Atleti and Alcaraz was a free agent.

It's not as if we snuck into the DW after midnight and kidnapped these guys. Wigan were given consideration for players, probably sucks for their supporters but they were relegated, they weren't keeping these guys anyway.

Regardless of whether they were leaving or not, the fact we bought 4 (and soon possibly 5) of them and also robbed their manager is going past the point of taking the piss, in my opinion

If Moyes had signed Fellaini, Baines, Osman and Coleman and was now rounding in on Jagielka, we'd all be going spare

I think this is appalling. We've signed 4 of their players already and also stolen their manager. Wigan FC has been completely pillaged by Everton and I, as an Evertonian, am ashamed. How on Earth can we complain about people like Mark Hughes and David Moyes treating us as small time when we're raiding Wigan at will? Sickening

I'm also appalled that no one else on here seems to be bothered by it

We're paying the fee asked, and not courting the players through the media. Vast difference

Hey CahillsCornerFlag your avatar confuses me loads! Everytime I glance at it I always see it as jensen button in F1 gear.
Just saying like!

... what.

Baines is the best left back in the world, bar none. That makes him world class. Just because he's had an iffy few months doesn't make that fact irrelevant

Is he? Has he had top-level experience which ranks him better than the left-backs from Real, Bayern, Barca and the italian clubs? What's he done for England that warrants this ranking of best in the world? What's he done for us?

Baines is the best left-back in the Premier League. He's one of the finest players we've had in the Premier-era.

But he's not the best in the world, for he hasn't had a chance to prove it against the best attacks of the world. We need to qualify for Champs League and he needs to be first-choice for England at the World Cup for him to show the objective world that much.

How many United fans do you think were saying the same thing after the Baines and Felli bids?

I don't thin k anyone would deny we paid what they are worth. Also we did it the right way. We weren't spouting off all over the media trying to tap them up. We got a deal done quietly then they chose to come. If Moyes had come and bid 50m for the pair and we didn't hear a word out of him until it was done either way I wouldn't resent him for it.

Regardless of whether they were leaving or not, the fact we bought 4 (and soon possibly 5) of them and also robbed their manager is going past the point of taking the piss, in my opinion

If Moyes had signed Fellaini, Baines, Osman and Coleman and was now rounding in on Jagielka, we'd all be going spare

Well if we sold all those players at market rate and brought in proper replacements, I wouldn't care one bit. There is also a bit of a dynamic here that you're ignoring, in that ManU is a rival of ours this year, Wigan and Everton aren't rivals.

... what.

That's probably arguable, positives and negatives about probably any player out there, and he's had a bad year, despite scoring a few free kicks. Plus Pienaar in play makes him a thousand times better than he is if he's not playing, so I see nothing wrong with what dholliday is saying.

We should just do what they did to Gareth Barry and move him to central/defensive midfield and play Oviedo at left back really, at least it would mean we drop Osman...
*Obviously not.

Calling him world-class is a stretch, he's not in my opinion.

Certainly not this season anyway. And when Pienaar's not playing, his form degenerates. World-class players generally aren't that reliant on a certain team-mate.

I love Baines, he's a proper icon. But to get ahead of the pack we sometimes have to make brutal decisions to further the squad (Fergie did it all the time at Man U).

I rarely say this about other people's opinions, because they are inherently subjective, but that is simply incorrect. I could count the amount of teams in the world where Baines wouldn't be an improvement on their starting 11, on one hand.

We would be

5 players all in one season

We'd be spitting feathers

And I'm sure all the Man United fans would be making comments about how "They're getting a fair price" or "Well, they're only mid table, sucks for their fans but who cares etc"

I agree, but it was the way you threw Osman in with Baines, Jagielka, Fellaini and Coleman that stunned me

We would be

5 players all in one season

We'd be spitting feathers

And I'm sure all the Man United fans would be making comments about how "They're getting a fair price" or "Well, they're only mid table, sucks for their fans but who cares etc"

Or "why can't Moyes look beyond Everton for players."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back