Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Macarthur stuff: anyone else think the official explanation is a load of rubbish? Someone his age taking badges and traveling to our training complex (during a transfer window) to talk to Martinez about coaching?

I think that's highly unlikely, tbh.

Yes and no, at Hamilton all the senior players (especially the younger ones) were put through their early coaching badges so that they could then take training sessions for the kids. Hamilton have local kids in from the age of 6 upwards playing on the actual pitch (artificial) at the stadium itself mainly just working on skills a few nights a week, builds a massive amount of enthusiasm and give the kids some exercise.

He'll have taken those badges under Graeme Jones (Hamiltons, then Wigans asst Manager at the time), could be Wigan had a similar programme (ofr McArthur want to do them himself) and there's paperwork or he's just after advice from the bloke who's been there at every stage of his career. Could also be that he's at a point in his badges where he has to look at training/methods at another club, so he's chosen the one where he knows most of the management team.

unlikely, but possible.

More likely he's got an afternoon off and was invited in to meet up with all his old pals for a few hours and a story was created not to [Poor language removed] Wigan if it became public (well that failed didn't it)

unless you think that the only reason Bobby is setting us out the way he is at the moment is because he doesn't have the correct players in to play two up front properly?

He's a good finisher but we'd need to completely change the way we play to include him.

He is the best of his type for me mate will be one of the best in Europe the world without a doubht.

Not that we will get him, stirkers of his ilk are out of vouge in recent years with 4-5-1 variations. But hes played well with a number 10 behind him in the past, would need to be a Rooney type rather then a coverted midfielder though.

unless you think that the only reason Bobby is setting us out the way he is at the moment is because he doesn't have the correct players in to play two up front properly?

Definitely not

Playing two up front makes it very difficult to have control of possession, which is the way Martinez wants to play

He is the best of his type for me mate will be one of the best in Europe the world without a doubht.

Not that we will get him, stirkers of his ilk are out of vouge in recent years with 4-5-1 variations. But hes played well with a number 10 behind him in the past, would need to be a Rooney type rather then a coverted midfielder though.

I don't think we could accommodate a player like him. Outside the box, hernandez is a passenger and we need technically sound players.

It's arguable that Lukaku doesn't even really fit the way Martinez wants us to play

Kagawa really hasn't proved himself in the premier league, despite neing great at Dortmund. Hernandez is a good finisher but doesn't have the all-round game to be a lone striker. I'd be reluctant to pay above 10 million for either of them, they're not all that good.

I don't think we could accommodate a player like him. Outside the box, hernandez is a passenger and we need technically sound players.

It's arguable that Lukaku doesn't even really fit the way Martinez wants us to play

I think change is progressive mate, im sont sure this system is his preferred, i think its a system the team new well and a variation on Moyes well, albeit pocession focussed with slight variations in roles and positioniong and permissions.

Im not sure mate, i think we have to get out of that mindset that Moyes had that our strikers need to run themselves into the ground we destroyed the insticts of Johnson, Beattie, Yak and Jelavic all circa 15 goal averages before they came here. Let the strikers score and let other players do the running, i dont think i ever saw Linekar break a sweat but he came alive in the box and was unplayable - Hernandes reminds me so much of him its not funny.

Kagawa is a fantastic player. If yuo don't believe he is then you are slipping into the typical english mentality that the likes of Ibrahimovic has spoken about.

He may not be cut out for this league but he shone in the Bundesleaga and may shine in another country. He is not a bad player though.

Kagawa is a fantastic player. If yuo don't believe he is then you are slipping into the typical english mentality that the likes of Ibrahimovic has spoken about.

He may not be cut out for this league but he shone in the Bundesleaga and may shine in another country. He is not a bad player though.

Agree i watched him play last year against Fulham i think it was and he was sensational RVP was out and he played behind Rooney and he ran the show, he would thrive somewhere that gave him a foundatioon to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back