Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something that May or may not have already been said but what happens come the summer and Martinez realises that he doesn't have the money he taught he had or he has none does he jump ship ? Not been negative here but we've seen this happen down through the years

He’s on the back of a soft tissue injury that he had and we have to make sure that’s fully healed before we can put him into the demands the Premier League, but we're talking a matter of weeks. Lacina's role will be probably for the last 9-10 games of the season that’s where I see his role being influential for us.

Seems pretty clear to me what he's saying there really.

All of this 'bedding in' is speculation, the black and white is that Martinez has said he'll feature in the last 10 games. If we get an injury to Lukaku between now and the end of February we're in a very uncomfortable position.

He's taken a gamble and no mistake.

Greg O'Keefe just explained to me on Twitter that the club are keeping the money from the player sales safe until the summer, apparently it's a plan!

So, we are 1 point off 4th, best chance of CL in years and they are keeping the powder dry?

Sorry but I just ain't buying it! Watch the Jelavic money disappear along with the profits from the summer window.

I really, really pray that I am wrong, but experience of this situation tells me I am not.

Ive heard O'Keeffe say that all window. And Martinez from the off did say he wanted 2 short term signings this month to replace Gibbo and Kone. Weve now got Traore & McGeady (although he's not a direct replacement for Gibson) and I think Martinez will be happy with that.

Don't forget, in the next 2 weeks we'll start to see the likes of Deulofeu and hopefully Barkley being fit and ready to help out aswell!.

But weve got a fair amount of cash in the kitty already and then we get the next instalment of the tv money so Bobby should have a fair bit to spend in the summer and he will hopefully buy some exciting, quality players!

Please don't start him off again

Oh yeah 'starting off'.

There's me thinking it reasonable that this and the last window's surplus generated in player sales should be spent by the manager who generated it on a European bid in the next few months.

How unreasonable to 'start off' like that.

Oh yeah 'starting off'.

There's me thinking it reasonable that this and the last window's surplus generated in player sales should be spent by the manager who generated it on a European bid in the next few months.

How unreasonable to 'start off' like that.

Leave it Dave, I think most of these people would be happy to loan a Mars Bar.

Right the people on here bleating on about spending the money to get CL football this season

Do you not think Martinez would spend the money he has if he could get the players he wants

90% Of the posters on here just want signings for the sake of signings, I bet my house that if we went out and spent 15m on a CM nobody had heard of from Spain/South America you would be all buzzing your tits off jizzing all over this forum

Players will arrive when the right ones are there to get at the right price, Sick of lads on here posting target after target because they sit on Football Manager every night and think there some world wide scout

Well said. Im sure weve all got an idea of how many players we want to sign or who we'd like but like you say, this month is an hard month to buy players and Martinez knows that. He knows the better deals will be in the summer and that's what he's waiting on.

He's got 2 players in like he wanted and once we get the likes of Barkley & Deulofeu back and fully fit, are squad will look strong again and hopefully we'll kick on, and who knows, we still might make the CL this season? Big win next Tuesday and results elsewhere go our way, weve every chance?!!

In terms of the personnel boost for the squad this season, it is off the scale compared to last, now that we are using the loan market effectively. We got rid of one first teamer, but have boosted the squad in both windows to the value of about a hundred million pounds, if you judge Barry by his performances and not his age. Obviously most will go back home at season end, but that is irrelevant if we are just looking at season end

We seem to be divided into 2 camps here.

1. We should be trying to strengthen with players to give us a proper crack at pushing on for a CL place from the position we are in. If Martinez thinks that is McGeady and Traore then we have to trust him, he hasn't done too bad so far. However, a loan for 10 weeks and a player signed for a nominal fee is not going down too well with some as a proper crack, but, the window is still not closed so hope springs eternal.

2. Others are buying the line that the money is being saved for Summer and they are happy with that as Martinez will go for the targets he really wants. Having seen the start made under Martinez it's hard to disagree with that theory too.

My only reservation being that the funds will disappear if option 2 is followed.

Last word on it from me.

Leave it Dave, I think most of these people would be happy to loan a Mars Bar.

To be fair, I think Moyes should have used the loan market better and more often.

We've always had a small squad and so far we've sold 3 players and brought in 9. Most of which are a millions times better than your Straq's and Anthony Gardner's.

When you've got no dosh, its something we should've been doing years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back