Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we at the start of this season expect us to be where we are now ? No i didn't and if we are all honest neither did most of use on here..so our expectations have been raised - love that and going to Goodison is once again a pleasure. Even the arch pessimist on here still expects Man U to finish 4th. Who the hell did we expect to buy in this window ? Mata ? I seriously think that at the present time this is NOT our best chance of 4th - will be a miracle if it happens. We have injuries yes which will make it difficult to maintain our great record so far but lets get real - 5th - 7th is more achievable at present and perhaps a cup run ?(or win ?) Lets stop worrying about lawnmowers and making sarcastic comments about next summer and actually enjoy supporting our great team. COYB !!

Seems pretty clear to me what he's saying there really.

All of this 'bedding in' is speculation, the black and white is that Martinez has said he'll feature in the last 10 games. If we get an injury to Lukaku between now and the end of February we're in a very uncomfortable position.

He's taken a gamble and no mistake.

I think the last sentence is the key one. "Lacina's role will be probably for the last 9-10 games of this season that's where I see his role being influential for us" he'll play way before then IMO.

Where far better off pre Jan cause as far as I am concerned I don't think Roberto rated Jelavic in anyway. If we had 20 mins in a game and needed to win, I think he would of played Mirallas up front if he'd had a full squad available, not Jelavic.

We seem to be divided into 2 camps here.

1. We should be trying to strengthen with players to give us a proper crack at pushing on for a CL place from the position we are in. If Martinez thinks that is McGeady and Traore then we have to trust him, he hasn't done too bad so far. However, a loan for 10 weeks and a player signed for a nominal fee is not going down too well with some as a proper crack, but, the window is still not closed so hope springs eternal.

2. Others are buying the line that the money is being saved for Summer and they are happy with that as Martinez will go for the targets he really wants. Having seen the start made under Martinez it's hard to disagree with that theory too.

My only reservation being that the funds will disappear if option 2 is followed.

Last word on it from me.

I think he's playing it well.

Spend most of your kitty on 1 player, or get in a number of exciting young players with potential and keep your eye out for a permo deal or two.

The RS are doing something similar but are spending millions on permo deals that might not work out.

We cant afford that.

It seems as tho we are living from 1 window to the other, we sell a player and most of the money doesnt get spent, we get told the same tired bullcrap about "right players not being available" and then we wait as a fanbase for the next window, in which we sell another player and more money just goes missing.

Clearly we come out of the window a little "bulkier" we got some cover on the wings and some cover upfront, if and when the players become match fit/sharp, im not objecting to loaning players, what I object to is the fact that money keeps going missing, all I wanna know is just where did the Arteta money go, nevermind the Fellaini money.

Its not as if our debts go down, clearly we give the players improved contracts, but surely that is evened out with the saving from the players we sell, none of it makes sense to me, but hey, we arent allowed to question the Greatest Evertonian that ever lived.

We're maxed out as it is. We're a little club in Walton, it's a miracle we are where we are. Competing against billionaires.

I think he's playing it well.

Spend most of your kitty on 1 player, or get in a number of exciting young players with potential and keep your eye out for a permo deal or two.

The RS are doing something similar but are spending millions on permo deals that might not work out.

We cant afford that.

Is right - anyone for Aspas..or Borini ? Ha Ha

It seems as tho we are living from 1 window to the other, we sell a player and most of the money doesnt get spent, we get told the same tired bullcrap about "right players not being available" and then we wait as a fanbase for the next window, in which we sell another player and more money just goes missing.

Clearly we come out of the window a little "bulkier" we got some cover on the wings and some cover upfront, if and when the players become match fit/sharp, im not objecting to loaning players, what I object to is the fact that money keeps going missing, all I wanna know is just where did the Arteta money go, nevermind the Fellaini money.

Its not as if our debts go down, clearly we give the players improved contracts, but surely that is evened out with the saving from the players we sell, none of it makes sense to me, but hey, we arent allowed to question the Greatest Evertonian that ever lived.

Sorry with respect go to the board Kenwright thread

What i'd like to know, your opinions on this, we get to the summer, we spend around 10-15m (Realistically we should have 30m to spend for me, even more if we finish 4th). We improve a little bit, but also get rid of a few players.

We don't spend all this money that Martinez is making out (he recently said we had 40m) do we have the same excuse as always (we'll spend it next window!) because for me it seems every time we get a large amount of money, we don't spend it all and whatever is left people seem to think we will spend it in the next window, but we never do.

It just seems to be a cycle really, and it'll be a damn disgrace if we don't spend big in the summer for me.

To be fair, I think Moyes should have used the loan market better and more often.

We've always had a small squad and so far we've sold 3 players and brought in 9. Most of which are a millions times better than your Straq's and Anthony Gardner's.

When you've got no dosh, its something we should've been doing years ago.

Ive no problem at all with how we are using the Loan Market, outstanding work really, thats not my issue, my issue is 2009 was the last time we spent money in a Transfer Window. Its a miracle we maintain our League Postion.

I think the last sentence is the key one. "Lacina's role will be probably for the last 9-10 games of this season that's where I see his role being influential for us" he'll play way before then IMO.

Where far better off pre Jan cause as far as I am concerned I don't think Roberto rated Jelavic in anyway. If we had 20 mins in a game and needed to win, I think he would of played Mirallas up front if he'd had a full squad available, not Jelavic.

Well you can't really have an influence if you're not playing....

Regardless, we needed cover for the striker position. We still don't have cover for the striker position for at a minimum two weeks, probably more. That's poor.

Its time Everton fans done something about it though. Did you see how LFC got rid of ex owners? They went on mad protests before every game. My memory may be wrong but I can't remember us doing what they done. Just my opinion

Well you can't really have an influence if you're not playing....

Regardless, we needed cover for the striker position. We still don't have cover for the striker position for at a minimum two weeks, probably more. That's poor.

Can Velios or Kev not play upfront?

Here's something that May or may not have already been said but what happens come the summer and Martinez realises that he doesn't have the money he taught he had or he has none does he jump ship ? Not been negative here but we've seen this happen down through the years

The man has a LOT more pride than moyes. If the club isn't matching his ambitions he'll walk and go to find somewhere that will. We suited moyes' ambitions perfectly while he waited for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back