Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The usual healing time for a mid-shaft Tibia and Fibula fracture treated with cast immobilisation is 12 to 16 weeks. This is followed by rehabilitation with a Chartered Physiotherapist to restore the range of ankle and knee movement, and to restore the muscle strength that is lost during the immobilisation period. Depending on the fracture type and its location the orthopaedic doctor may allow the use of a Removable Plastic Cast Walker instead of a plaster cast.

Can you show me a top flight player who has returned 5-6 months after a double leg break

Cisse twice mate.

Once whilst at Liverpool, 2nd time at marseille.

This resulted in a broken tibia and fibula, and physio Daryl Martin said "It could take six to nine months for a recovery and the absolute worst-case scenario is 18 months..."[28] Cissé later revealed that had it not been for prompt attention from the trainers at the stadium, he would probably have lost the leg below the knee.[29] He had pins inserted in the leg, and was expected to be out of action for the rest of the 2004–05 season.[30] l[31]

However, in an unexpected return, Cissé was able to come on as a 75th minute substitute in the second leg of Liverpool's Champions League quarter-final tie with Juventus on 13 April 2005.

Am I still wrong?

Dave Whelan 40 years

Thats a good joke, but highlights a serious point. Years ago a broken leg could easily signify the end of a career, and a disabled life. As well as Whelan (who incidentally in reality very rarely, or never refers to his broken leg!), Derek Dooley comes to mind, and Brian Clough. There will be many others. Rehab techniques have improved massively since those days, but there are still cases were serious injury can end, or restrict, a footballers future career. How often do we hear the phrase 'Never the same player since his injury'.

You just couldn't make it up. We were unlucky to get 1 season ending injury (Gibson). Very unlucky to get 2 ( Kone). It just beggars belief we have had another one with Oviedo. The ironic thing is all challenges were innocuous, Oviedo's was given a free kick against him for christs sake. In supporting everton for 40 years I can't remember a worse season for serious injuries than this one.

Are we even able to sign any more loan players? £4m even we can afford outright!

im-out-of-here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-348.gif

Am I still wrong?

How come you've missed off the actual recovery times tho?
First time 5-6 months
Second time 3 months.

Of course absolute worse case scenarios are stated at 18moths by what you have read. But to turn it back on you, can you find me some players that have taken 18months??

Look point being was you have to assume in line with the average he will be out for the rest of the season and has every chance of being back for next season. If not it's something that would/could be addressed come summer. Which is what the initiall conversation was about.

How come you've missed off the actual recovery times tho?
First time 5-6 months
Second time 3 months.

Of course absolute worse case scenarios are stated at 18moths by what you have read. But to turn it back on you, can you find me some players that have taken 18months??

Look point being was you have to assume in line with the average he will be out for the rest of the season and has every chance of being back for next season. If not it's something that would/could be addressed come summer. Which is what the initiall conversation was about.

Ive found you 3 players who took around 10 months you have found one that took 5

Like it or not he could be out for over a year

Those are facts

Can we just leave it as 'he'll be back when his leg heals, this can take anywhere between 3 - 18 months'...and wish the guy a speedy recovery

please

Ive found you 3 players who took around 10 months you have found one that took 5

Like it or not he could be out for over a year

Those are facts

There's different types of double leg breaks. Oviedo's was clean, ie a straight break across both bones, he'll be back training within 6 months.

If it had been splintered as David Bust was and I believe Aaron Ramsey's was then it's much more serious.

The lad on the bench for us yesterday had the exact same injury as Oviedo.

I've done that myself playing amateur football and was back in 6 months. Treated in hospital, sent home to rest with no physio, nothing at all and still played about 6 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back