Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
People really need to reconsider this statement as it isn't only you that thinks young players can't make an impact. Are you really that blind that Lukaku, Barkley, and Deulofeu have just slipped your mind? You may counter by saying that they are the exception as they have massive talent for their age but that's the point I don't think people are suggesting that these younger players come in and fire us into the title race but that they are good enough and hungry enough to a.) provide real impetus for the elder statesmen to raise their game b.) make an impact in the latter stages of games c.) get trained in the martinez way as young as possible and developing the confidence that he can give them

Dead on, also as we arent cash rich then surely it makes sense to find young players as you state a-c rather than waiting for them to develop under a different manager for an inflated fee...

Seeing the signings made by martinez alresdy strikes me that he would rather sign players hed already worked with.

On the topic of of transfers and if what were seeing in the online papers and gossip columns:

1-- Get Canales in ASAP. Was considered a potentially world class player not long ago and seems to have one major injury which came back but seems to be back in business now (the spanish league experts on here would know more).
Loan till season end then 4mil to rotate with barkley/mccarthy/barry.

2-- Seems like jagielka is able to slot in at left sided centre back with stones covering the right. This could put off signing someone of similar promise/calibre to Stones for another couple of seasons as Distin and Alcaraz are gradually phased out.

I do wonder if martinez's plan for defence is to go with distin/jags now...then jags/stones which makes sense but will he be bringing in a left sided centre back?

Would be great to have a canales type and a left sided player comparable to stones.

I think Bob should move for the skinny Magaye Gueye. He's out there somewhere. The Magaye Gueye who ran on yesterday looked, as a friend of mine commented, like he'd gotten into a tin of biscuits.

Your mate is wrong... It's several barrels of biscuits

I actually think Collback is a pretty good player, by pretty good I mean every time we play Sunderland I seem to develop an irrational hatred of the guy which, if I take my royal blue goggles off, probably means he's played well. He seems adaptable and he's still young despite having been around for ages (got over 100 games of premier league experience). Out of contract at the end of the season as well so if we can get him it'll be at a bargain price/free transfer.

Canales - I agree with most of the posters on here if there is a chance we can get him at the prices being quoted (4mill) then I think we have to act fast. A couple of years ago the possibility of us signing him would have been next to none as he was one of the brightest prospects in world football. The one obvious worry would be his injury record but I'm hoping if we do sign him this would actually galvanise his determination to prove himself and at 4 mill even if worst came to worst an he suffered a recurrence of the injuries we won't have lost a great deal.

...Canales is interesting and might be RMs type. I'm sure mentioned but not sure if clarified, whether we can take anybodyelse on loan. Regardless, the reported £5m doesn't seem too much especially considering we sold Jelavic for a similar amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back