Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez said there's money there though didn't he, and seemed to strongly hint that he was keeping a fair ammount for the summer for either Lukaku or his replacement should he not be available

We have the 25M from the tv deal for that. What about the money taken in last summer and this January?

We might well get someone top quality in over the next 5 days, and I would be delighted.

But the fact is we were told after the summer that the fellaini-anichebe money would be there to spend in january. And now when we're in a fight for two big prizes (fa cup and CL), short on bodies due to injuries, had some bad performances and badly needing a boost and some new players, it's not happening. Instead we've sold a squad player for money which has yet to be reinvested in the squad, brought in two currently unfit squad players for peanuts and Martinez has made noises about that being it for us.

It's just dier. And if we end up potless and not in europe, again, like we have last year and the year before and the year before, then this window is where I'll be pointing figures.

Our only long-term injuries are Gibson, Kone and Oviedo. We can't bring any more loanees in to temporarily replace them and there's no point making permanent signings if they're not going to improve the squad.

I believe that we're holding on to funds to make a bid for Lukaku in the summer. It's all under control. Chill.

We have the 25M from the tv deal for that. What about the money taken in last summer and this January?

What was our debt? £35m? Hopefully we're now debt free and we'll still have enough for Lukaku in the summer. I don't think that Bill is leaving the back door of Goodison with suitcases full of cash.

Wait, has the transfer window closed? Because if it hasn't, then surely we can still sign a player or 2? Wait, what was that? We signed 3 on deadline day last time? and 1 the time before that? And we have money? And 2 cdms for 2 spots?

Would bet a fiver we'll get in another body, and a cm at that. I'm tight, so no more like, but I normally only go £2.50 to be fair

McGeady- highly-rated by Messi and Xavi and a vast improvement on Gueye or using Naismith as a wide player.

Traore- A £10m+ striker from one of the most ambitious clubs in World football replacing a forward (Jelavic) whose last league goal was on 16th March 2013.

Baines- signed to a new long-term contract.

You're not asking for much then.

With four days of the window left to go Chelsea are arguably weaker, having replaced Mata, De Bruyne, Essien and Bertrand with Salah and Matic. Spurs will also be worse off once Defoe departs for Toronto too. The only one of our rivals to strengthen is United.

We aren't using Gueye, so that's a bit of a non-sequitur.

Please don't compare our squad's strength to Chelsea's. Please.

The point is that our squad was already thinner than both Chelsea's and Spurs', and it's been further tested with all of these injuries.

I don't expect them to go out and spend 30 million in January, that's foolish. But there are gaping holes in this squad (attacking midfielder, center midfield, fullbacks) that need to be addressed.

I'm not defending Kenwright, just saying that if we believe what Martinez says, he said we have a fair amount now but would rather keep it until the summer. Lots of managers don't like spending much in January even if it's there

Our only long-term injuries are Gibson, Kone and Oviedo. We can't bring any more loanees in to temporarily replace them and there's no point making permanent signings if they're not going to improve the squad.

I believe that we're holding on to funds to make a bid for Lukaku in the summer. It's all under control. Chill.

I admire your optimism, but I don't see what it's absed on. When people complained about the arteta money not being spend it was being saved for january, same with the rodwell money and the fellaini money.

None of it has ever been.

I've ran out of faith at this point. I don't buy that our board will back Bobby this summer when they haven't backed their manager ever before.

:) Lets all chill, and wait and see.
I for ones would not like us to do as Cardiff did this summer use a lot off money on ok players.
Because that is what you get in this window

I'm not defending Kenwright, just saying that if we believe what Martinez says, he said we have a fair amount now but would rather keep it until the summer. Lots of managers don't like spending much in January even if it's there

Unfortunately mate that faith will have been shaken for me if he fails to get bodies in now and make good his declaration that we'd finish this window stronger.

He's a cracking manager, nice feller and defo the right man for the job, but would I trust him to act any differently than Kenwright in our transfer fund promises? Sadly no.

:) Lets all chill, and wait and see.
I for ones would not like us to do as Cardiff did this summer use a lot off money on ok players.
Because that is what you get in this window

Usually on January windows I do agree...BUT...I do think that this window before the WC is an ideal time to bring in new players as some good players might look to move in order to get games (that might bring them into contention for the WC). It might mean that we can miss an opportunity here and there maybe IF that is the case. I might be wrong though...just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back