Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xherdan Shaqiri would be my dream signing on loan. Not getting enough games at Bayern in a world cup year. Could use him in Pienaar's position drifting in or behind Lukaku when Barkley is rested or moved deeper. Only seen Liverpool linked previously and not us though

Xherdan Shaqiri would be my dream signing on loan. Not getting enough games at Bayern in a world cup year. Could use him in Pienaar's position drifting in or behind Lukaku when Barkley is rested or moved deeper. Only seen Liverpool linked previously and not us though

Would be boss.

Unlikely. But boss.

I feel like CB is the one position we don't need to strengthen. Jags, Distin (albeit not for long), Heitinga, Alcaraz, Stones, Duffy, and even Hibbo can do a job there. Would like to see us linked with more wingers and strikers.

It's amazing the difference a year makes, this time last year I was nervous, anxious and a little depressed about the impending transfer windows. This year I'm a giddy as a schoolgirl at the thought of what Roberto has planned!

I feel like CB is the one position we don't need to strengthen. Jags, Distin (albeit not for long), Heitinga, Alcaraz, Stones, Duffy, and even Hibbo can do a job there. Would like to see us linked with more wingers and strikers.
Martins Indi makes sense to me like. Young, can play a couple of positions. we will need him if as planned Heitinga goes, Distin will retire soon. Duffy, im not sure will be ever good enough. Hibbo im not sure is or should cover cb. Alcaraz is yet to play a competitive minute for us.
Its not an immediate concern but its one we should adress soon and if the right player is available, why not?

I think it's a bit tricky tbh. We could do with a CB to eventually replace Distin, a CM to provide cover and compitition for Barry and McCarthy and back up striker or lakaku's eventual replacement.

Now given those situations it kind of rules out any players who are trying to nail down WC spots. For example say martins indi, mvilla and Defoe were realistic targets, would they demand starting places immediately over the current players who are playing so well?? I don't think so. Secondly would these players want to spend half a season on the bench leading up to a World Cup? I doubt it!

If we're signing players they need to be international standard. Think this particular transfer window is going to be a very tricky one tbh!

I think it's a bit tricky tbh. We could do with a CB to eventually replace Distin, a CM to provide cover and compitition for Barry and McCarthy and back up striker or lakaku's eventual replacement.

Now given those situations it kind of rules out any players who are trying to nail down WC spots. For example say martins indi, mvilla and Defoe were realistic targets, would they demand starting places immediately over the current players who are playing so well?? I don't think so. Secondly would these players want to spend half a season on the bench leading up to a World Cup? I doubt it!

If we're signing players they need to be international standard. Think this particular transfer window is going to be a very tricky one tbh!

Martins-Indi and M'Vila would get games...theyre top top players.

Defoe is going to the MLS.

Martins-Indi and M'Vila would get games...theyre top top players.

Defoe is going to the MLS.

I'm not saying they wouldn't get any games or are not top players but...would these 3 (just as examples btw) need to be playing week in week out to secure there plane tickets? If so would you break our CM partnership or CB partnership Now to get either in the side?

Would like to see us raid Dundee United for Souttar and Gauld, Could even loan them back to Dundee United so they carry on progressing.

Both look very promising

I would imagine a lot of clubs are thinking the same. Certainly worth a try though. Even if only one of them worked out in the long term. The big plus is that their wages will not be particularly high, so it would be a low risk gamble, with a potentially big reward.

Some news in polish media that Everton is scouting young goalie (he was called up to our national team already) from second polish division and left back from polish premier league.

News about left back (Mateusz Lewandowski - nothing in common with Robert;)) is propably a wind-up because he signed new contract about month ago. He is playing for my local club - Pogon Szczecin and he is nowhere near good enough to play in England and never will be.

http://sport.wp.pl/kat,1744,title,E...ski,wid,16279947,wiadomosc.html?ticaid=111e14

http://eurosport.onet.pl/pilka-nozna/ekstraklasa/mateusz-lewandowski-obserwowany-przez-everton/2ff56

I don't know much about this goalkeeper (never seen him play) but info about Everton is coming straight out of him.

We should be fine for CB even with Heitinga leaving, Jags/Distin look great, and Alcarez/Stones should get games in the 2nd half of the season.

Backup striker HAS to be the main priority. Jelly's on his way out, and Naismith will never be up to the job of leading the line. Lukaku has worked miracles for us up until this point, but there will be times where even he loses form or we simply need to switch it around.

If Martinez can conduct transfers in January as he has said he wants to, I would back up to finish in a CL spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back