Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xherdan Shaqiri would be my dream signing on loan. Not getting enough games at Bayern in a world cup year. Could use him in Pienaar's position drifting in or behind Lukaku when Barkley is rested or moved deeper. Only seen Liverpool linked previously and not us though

He's one of Switzerland's best players they'll not drop him if he doesn't kick a ball until July.

Or the Rodwell money.
Or the Anichebe money.
The Rodwell money...
BQWmQuGCcAAILt1.jpg:large

I reckon the Anichebe money will be spent in January anyway

I would like us to use this January as a chance to build some young depth. In the next 3 years we will need to replace Barry, Distin, Osman and Pienaar. I think if we grab Indi that would givee us two solid young CBs (Indi + Stones) to replace the old guard when the time comes. Indi may even displace Distin sooner than later. I love Distin's commitment to the club and defensively and pace wise he still can play at a top level but he is not the ideal CB for Martinez, he can't pass the ball on the floor except side to side. The only worry is our defense on set pieces. Jags isn't that great in the air and Distin is our only legit height.

I would also take a flyer on some of the Dundee youngins. If we could get Soutair and Gauld for 4+ loans back to Dundee that would be a good bit of business.

The only other buys I would think about would be someone who's contract is running out and we could get at a discount. McGeady (1 million max) or Fernando.

I know we need striker depth but I wouldn't buy anyone in January. one the price would be huge and you would only be able to get a squad player. You know Lukaku most likely will need to be replaced. I would rather set aside any striker money we have in January and save it for the summer. If the difference between getting a 20 million pound striker or a 12 million is whether or not we spend big in January then I would rather wait because we need to go grab a legit top caliber striker.

I would like us to use this January as a chance to build some young depth. In the next 3 years we will need to replace Barry, Distin, Osman and Pienaar. I think if we grab Indi that would givee us two solid young CBs (Indi + Stones) to replace the old guard when the time comes. Indi may even displace Distin sooner than later. I love Distin's commitment to the club and defensively and pace wise he still can play at a top level but he is not the ideal CB for Martinez, he can't pass the ball on the floor except side to side. The only worry is our defense on set pieces. Jags isn't that great in the air and Distin is our only legit height.

I would also take a flyer on some of the Dundee youngins. If we could get Soutair and Gauld for 4+ loans back to Dundee that would be a good bit of business.

The only other buys I would think about would be someone who's contract is running out and we could get at a discount. McGeady (1 million max) or Fernando.

I know we need striker depth but I wouldn't buy anyone in January. one the price would be huge and you would only be able to get a squad player. You know Lukaku most likely will need to be replaced. I would rather set aside any striker money we have in January and save it for the summer. If the difference between getting a 20 million pound striker or a 12 million is whether or not we spend big in January then I would rather wait because we need to go grab a legit top caliber striker.

Thing to bear in mind is that if lukaku gets injured we have no backup.

Thing to bear in mind is that if lukaku gets injured we have no backup.

We do tho in Miralass. Obviously Delefoe injury has fooked that up a bit. Naismith can also play up top.

Not arguing we don't need another but there are more options than just jela.
Either way I think jela will go and will be replaced by bobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back