Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
...he's already said he needs to bring in cover for Kone and Gibson so you have to think that a CF and CM are a given. The rumour site reckons we are in talks with that Finnbogerson bloke.

...he's already said he needs to bring in cover for Kone and Gibson so you have to think that a CF and CM are a given. The rumour site reckons we are in talks with that Finnbogerson bloke.

Cant see it myself. I think he will get barry signed up and bring in 2 loans. Or just the one but hes said he wants short term stopgaps for them both so not sure hwo he can manage that unless he signs barry to open up another slot or brings in someone whose a bit older and whose contract runs out in the summer...

Think he will bring in 3/4 players in total.

We do tho in Miralass. Obviously Delefoe injury has fooked that up a bit. Naismith can also play up top.

Not arguing we don't need another but there are more options than just jela.
Either way I think jela will go and will be replaced by bobby!

Naismith cant play up top on his own...at keast I cant see it. Miralas is needed on the wings as you alluded to...need another forward to shoot us into champs league.

Since RM has said we won't be throwing money around in jan I'm expecting a loan or a free from somewhere, and maybe we'll take a risk on a young striker for a modest fee.

How many more loan signings can we actually make though, whats the limit these days?. And how many of them can you use in a 18 man match day squad?.

He definitely wants a CM & CF to replace Gibbo and Kone, but he said for the short term so you can imagine they'll probs be youngsters on loan from abroad.

I wouldn't mind us trying to sign a couple of players on the cheap in Jan due to there current deals running out in the summer, Maybe the likes of McGeady, Fernando & Natkho?. I'd love Fernando as I think he's quality but he knocked us back in summer cos we wasn't in CL and ive read recently he fancies playing in Italy so he might be out of reach.

But I did read a while back that Martinez was trying to avoid spending a lot of money in Jan and wanted to save what he's got till the summer and do all his recruiting then when he as a larger chunk of money due to more TV money coming in again?!.

How many more loan signings can we actually make though, whats the limit these days?. And how many of them can you use in a 18 man match day squad?.

He definitely wants a CM & CF to replace Gibbo and Kone, but he said for the short term so you can imagine they'll probs be youngsters on loan from abroad.

I wouldn't mind us trying to sign a couple of players on the cheap in Jan due to there current deals running out in the summer, Maybe the likes of McGeady, Fernando & Natkho?. I'd love Fernando as I think he's quality but he knocked us back in summer cos we wasn't in CL and ive read recently he fancies playing in Italy so he might be out of reach.

But I did read a while back that Martinez was trying to avoid spending a lot of money in Jan and wanted to save what he's got till the summer and do all his recruiting then when he as a larger chunk of money due to more TV money coming in again?!.

ONE more loan signing....

Unless he signs Barry permanently then he can have 2.

I expect Alfred Finnbogason for around 4m to come in once Jelavic goes. If heitinga goes we'll probably bring in some cover OR sign John Souttar from dundee united because John Stones is mostly our back up now.

We'll probably see a midfielder come in on loan, or someones contract that is running out shortly (Fernando, Nahkto etc).

After that Martinez could look to bring in a winger, perhaps. But we'll for sure see us sign a cm and striker. I'm pretty certain it'll be Finnbogason if Jela goes though.

I'm optimistic for a good transfer window because I think we all know that, despite our current good form, the squad can still be improved massively for not much expenditure. We all know the players who need to be shipped out and the areas where we need strengthened. If we can pull off a couple of good bits of business in January AND keep everyone fit, then I really feel that we won't be too far off a title challenge, never mind just a top-4 challenge (although I think its all going to be very close at the top anyhow).

Thing to bear in mind is that if lukaku gets injured we have no backup.

I understand and for me I would take the calculated risk. If Lukaku gets hurt then no matter who we have as a back up it will be a big drop off. I'd rather save the stop gap striker money and roll the dice that Lukaku stays healthy. If he gets hurt then hope vellios or jelavic can find some form or push mirallas up to.

I feel as though without Gerard the attacking options off the bench look pretty dire. We're going to need to make a couple big signings if we want to keep this squad at the top of the table in the short and long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back