Southampton 0-0 Everton. 21st Jan @ 20.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Osman has been generally teriffic all season but was awful tonight.

Fellaini looked good in Central Midfield and made up for Osman losing the ball on several occasions.

I said this earlier on - what (or who) we crucially needed tonight was Gibbo. He'd have kept the ball ticking over for us, whereas Osman kept getting caught in possession.

Sotton did a West Brom tonight and kept our midfield under locks with ease apart for around 10-15 mins in the 2nd half when Vic and Jelavić got through. If we'd have buried those chances we'd most likely have been talking about a bog-standard but solid away win. We lacked three things tonight:
Being able to keep the ball
Having a true No.10
Being able to finish

I'm hoping that number 1 and 3 will come back soon in the shape of Gibson and a back up Jelavić's form, while number 2 means going out and spending money!

You've covered everything I have been thinking of but haven't been arsed to post. So thanks!

All teams drop points against weaker sides. Especially ones with paper thin squads who can't rotate and have to play strikers and centre backs on the right hand side after a couple of injuries. We've also been dreadfully unlucky with injuries and if our first XI is the only thing about our squad that is considered top 4 quality, then we've never been top 4 quality this season. We are doing very well to be up there and it's not over yet. Maybe, just maybe, now Mirallas is approaching fitness and Gibson will be back soon, we'll be able to turn this slump around. (But no, now Coleman's injured OLOLOLOLO).

11 draws against the "weaker" sides. Only Stoke equal that.

Theres a point where you either win or lose more of them when you compare to the teams around us.

To me thats either down to quality or not taking our chance. IE bottling it.

Injuries only take up a certain percentage of those draws. And for a thin squad im sure Barkley, Hitz, Heitinga, Gueye, Vellios couldve all got more game time

Bit gutted with the result, but my winning bet has definitely made up for it. £125,012.50 better off lads.

BBKoKGqCEAAsUa8.jpg:large

That was our worst performance in a looonnggg time.....and we didn't lose. We won't play that badly again for a while, we are fifth, four points ahead of Arsenal and only 3 behind spurs. Two home games coming up after Bolton in the cup. Still loads to play for and we'll bring a couple of players in before the window is out. Mirallas is back, Big Vic has become ace and I fancy Pienaar and Baines will get it going again.

That was our worst performance in a looonnggg time.....and we didn't lose. We won't play that badly again for a while, we are fifth, four points ahead of Arsenal and only 3 behind spurs. Two home games coming up after Bolton in the cup. Still loads to play for and we'll bring a couple of players in before the window is out. Mirallas is back, Big Vic has become ace and I fancy Pienaar and Baines will get it going again.

Good positive post mate. Can't help but be a bit disheartened by the result but nice to see some optimism!

West Brom will be tough. But we've got to concentrate on beating Bolton first!

What really struck me tonight is how teams who have any sort of creative player at no.10 or any pace can literally run straight through our midfield and (on some occasions) defence. It's happened loads this season but it needs to stop.

Unfortunately, it's what we lack. Fellaini is a class player behind the striker but if teams double up on him and our left hand-side (like tonight) then we are done going forward and run out of ideas and start to hoof, especially when Osman can't get on the ball without losing it straight away and Nev is been Nev!

Imagine if, (in fantasy world), we managed to sign an Isco or Belhanda or (just because I love him and his name causes mass-hysteria) Mertens how good we would be going forward. I know it's unlikely that we'd get somebody of that standard, but a player of that ilk/type is what we need. A sharp, quick player who can pick out a final pass (something that (and I know he's returning from injury) Kev isn't particularly brilliant at - for all his other attributes).

Gibson - Fellaini
Mirallas - ???????????? - Pienaar

the youngsters outpaced the old boys tonight - we should learn from that and start playing a few youngsters like Velios , Oviedo , Barkley etc -
Shaw their 17 year old nippy left back is such an exiting player to watch - compared to the total lack of pace from our uncle Neville which drives me to tears -
this new Southampton coach looks like a hands on person being in constant contact with his players on the pitch - wheras Moyes just makes his eyes bigger the higher the pressure goes - tactically we were outplayed again tonight by a weaker team on paper -
i thought we were lucky not to concede a penalty when Distin pushed in the box - 50\50's were going more our way i thought - but even that did not help -
untill we sort our strike force and def mid positions out we will stay in this rut of constantly drawing games we should win

West Brom will be tough. But we've got to concentrate on beating Bolton first!

What really struck me tonight is how teams who have any sort of creative player at no.10 or any pace can literally run straight through our midfield and (on some occasions) defence. It's happened loads this season but it needs to stop.

Unfortunately, it's what we lack. Fellaini is a class player behind the striker but if teams double up on him and our left hand-side (like tonight) then we are done going forward and run out of ideas and start to hoof, especially when Osman can't get on the ball without losing it straight away and Nev is been Nev!

Imagine if, (in fantasy world), we managed to sign an Isco or Belhanda or (just because I love him and his name causes mass-hysteria) Mertens how good we would be going forward. I know it's unlikely that we'd get somebody of that standard, but a player of that ilk/type is what we need. A sharp, quick player who can pick out a final pass (something that (and I know he's returning from injury) Kev isn't particularly brilliant at - for all his other attributes).

Gibson - Fellaini
Mirallas - ???????????? - Pienaar

Yeah we've been missing this kind of player for a while now but Mertens isn't the man we need as he's very much like Mirallas. In a dream world it's Isco.

Tonight aside you can take the positive or negative outlook on where we stand at the moment. Despite dropping silly points and playing poorly recently we still find ourselves 3 points behind 4th place with 2 winnable home games coming up. Mirallas returning is a boost and will add more creativity hopefully resulting in Jela slotting a few. I think we will have a better indication of things on February 1st. The Negative is we haven't found our early season form and look to have no plan B once Pienaar and Baines are stopped. Not to mention Jela missing sitters and now Coleman appearing injured too. Whenever we get in touching distance of the teams above us we never seem to be able to capitalise unfortunately. Of course we need players in and we'll probably get at least 1 loan in. Im sure we'll turn Bolton over and we will be happy enough going into 2 home games.

Awful performance, Southampton absolutely battered us in the first half.

I've come away grateful for the point, which we can all thank Howard for.

Onwards and upwards lads...

Yeah we've been missing this kind of player for a while now but Mertens isn't the man we need as he's very much like Mirallas. In a dream world it's Isco.

Yeh I know they're similar, but we'd need that versatility he provides and you only need to look at his stats this season (I know it's the Dutch league but there's some decent teams) - 8 goals and 16 assists (plus he's been out for a month injured) to see his quality.

But yeh, Isco would be immense. I'd settle for Landon back like.

Tonight aside you can take the positive or negative outlook on where we stand at the moment. Despite dropping silly points and playing poorly recently we still find ourselves 3 points behind 4th place with 2 winnable home games coming up. Mirallas returning is a boost and will add more creativity hopefully resulting in Jela slotting a few. I think we will have a better indication of things on February 1st. The Negative is we haven't found our early season form and look to have no plan B once Pienaar and Baines are stopped. Not to mention Jela missing sitters and now Coleman appearing injured too. Whenever we get in touching distance of the teams above us we never seem to be able to capitalise unfortunately. Of course we need players in and we'll probably get at least 1 loan in. Im sure we'll turn Bolton over and we will be happy enough going into 2 home games.

I remember when Jelly wasnt scoring whilst kev was fit and rumours were going round that jelly didnt like mirallas we same the same week after week Jelly just aint scoring mate hopefully anichebe starts against west brom.

Coleman will be a big miss once he comes back just watch kev get injured problem is our injuries take too long to recover whereas over teams players seem to come back within a week or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back