Stadium Thread - ALL Kirkby/Stadium Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Dennis's missus is not called Kate.

And if you mean Kat stevens then your keyboard is [Poor language removed]

I was just having a trawl around the web for stories related to the Kirkby move just before the vote. To be honest, with all the crap afterwards, I had forgotten exactly what we thought was the case.

This article (below) in the Mail sums up what all the media reported at the time. It essentially says that we could get this stadium for £10m, which is the cost of "fitting out". It actually makes us look like we come out with a £5m profit, seeing as we flog Goodison for £15m.

The goal posts have seriously shifted since then.

It's the 'deal of the century' for Everton - Toffees at Tesco

Everton chief executive Keith Wyness has called the club's opportunity to move to a new stadium in Kirkby as "the deal of the century".

The club are to ballot fans on the proposed move, and Wyness says a planned link-up with supermarket giants Tesco means there would be hardly any cost to the Blues.

Everton, who have today been linked with a move for experienced Swiss midfielder Johann Vogel, have outlined plans for a new 50,000-seater stadium.

Wyness said: "It is an amazing deal, the deal of the century. If the heart rules the head we will never get an opportunity like this again.

"There is no other site we have found that will involve the same level of contribution.

"We will be left with very little debt at the end of it. The deal compares favourably with other clubs building new stadia.

"We will be getting a very nice stadium for a small amount of money."

The club plan to ballot 33,000 Everton fans about the controversial plan to leave Goodison Park.

Wyness added: "Emotions will be running very high on this issue and I understand that.

"As much as it would pain them to do it, fans will realise it is the only way forward. Evertonians are very reasonable."

Under the plan, Tesco would pay £50million for the site and bear the cost of building a £75million stadium.

Everton would pay for fitting-out costs of around £10million, but should sell Goodison Park for £15million.

Meanwhile, Vogel is reported to be due to hold talks with Everton about moving on a free transfer from Spanish side Real Betis.
The 30-year-old former AC Milan and PSV Eindhoven midfielder has won 89 caps for Switzerland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo.../Its-deal-century-Everton--Toffees-Tesco.html

so.. did wyness know the full story and lie to us... or has this just spiralled out of control?

so.. did wyness know the full story and lie to us... or has this just spiralled out of control?

That's what I've been wondering. My theory is that Wyness thought the deal was better than it has now transpired to be, although I believe he certainly knew there were issues to be sorted out relating to costs and terms and conditions. Perhaps now he thinks if he backs down, he'll look like a proper fool.

You guys are doing a damn good job of convincing me that this isn't a good idea.

The articles that Blair has brought to bare are quite startling. I would also like to refer back to Blairs post on how to con somebody. I think that is happening to us.

1)First, you sell them "the dream" for free or next to nothing, get them all enthusiastic, and get them to commit to it, and to tell everyone that they are committed to it (you could even go as far as getting them to vote on it:P)

2)Then, you tell them the dream's going to cost a little, but hey, nothing in life's for free, is it? And "it's still a dream, and you can afford it, right?"

3)Then you tell them that the dream's going to cost a little more, but "you can still afford it, right, someone like you? Don't worry, we can find a way to raise the cash for youb). It's still a really nice dream though, and you've told everyone you're going to buy it now, you'd look silly passing up this dream, over a couple of extra quid"

4)Then you tell them that the dream isn't quite as great as they perhaps thought, but "it's still better than not having a dream, and we're pretty sure you can afford it, we've even sorted out some loans for you".

5)Then you tell them that what they've bought, isn't actually that dream at all, "I mean, you don't really expect you'd get all that for what you were prepared to pay, you're way smarter than that. Besides, you couldn't possibly back out now, you've been telling your mates for ages you've been getting this dream, and it is still a dream of sorts, right?"

By this time the mark is so desperate to believe that they haven't been conned, they'll defend and justify this new dream, and the cost of it, to the hilt.

You guys are doing a damn good job of convincing me that this isn't a good idea.

The articles that Blair has brought to bare are quite startling. I would also like to refer back to Blairs post on how to con somebody. I think that is happening to us.
Dylan thats the most disappointing aspect,We are being lied to or if you prefer not being told the complete story and we deserve better.As much as I hate the Idea if All the true facts had been made public before the vote and people had voted yes I would however reluctant accept and respect the decision but that has not been the case.I hope it gets called in because it has disaster written all over it,and why we give the council a 100 free uses of the stadium a year is beyond me ,this is the council that by banning us from having bands ect have effectively killed any chance of getting the extra income Wyness claims we will although if you study it it was never going to bring in the income he claimed.

yeah, coyney. can't have rock concerts because kirkby is too small! why can't we stay in smegging liverpool!!!

yeah, coyney. can't have rock concerts because kirkby is too small! why can't we stay in smegging liverpool!!!

Ahh, the cheap way to improve your post count :lol:

Completely unlike my cheap way of increasing my post count by commenting on your cheap way of increasing yours :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back