Stadium Thread - ALL Kirkby/Stadium Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, a job in retail is not a profession - it is a job

According to Wikipedia, a profession arises when any trade or occupation transforms itself through "the development of formal qualifications based upon education and examinations, the emergence of regulatory bodies with powers to admit and discipline members, and some degree of monopoly rights."

it also lists a selection of attributes a "profession" must have to be considered a "profession" such as

1. Skill based on theoretical knowledge: Professionals are assumed to have extensive theoretical knowledge (e.g. medicine, law, scripture or engineering) and to possess skills based on that knowledge that they are able to apply in practice.
  2. Professional association: Professions usually have professional bodies organized by their members, which are intended to enhance the status of their members and have carefully controlled entrance requirements.
  3. Extensive period of education: The most prestigious professions usually require at least three years at university.
None of these are required to work in Tescos stacking shelves

It even lists some examples of professions for you

Examples of professions

Professions include, for example: Physicians, Dentists, Pharmacists, Lawyers, Accountants, Veterinarians, Engineers, Hospitality Industry, Teachers, Diplomats, Commissioned Officers, Professors, Clergy, Urban Planners, Architects, Physical Therapists, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Chiropractors, Social Workers.

No taxi drivers or shelf stackers there though.

The important word in that is include. You have failed again:lol:

A job is a job, regardless, but that doesn't build a strong community or diverse population though

Its not a new town dependent upon Tesco. Tesco and the like would just bring more jobs etc to the area. Currently, what part-time jobs are availble to sixth form/college students in Kirkby? No income=more likely to drop out of study=more likely to turn to crime.

If the only jobs available are low-paid jobs, then those with better qualifications will move away to find better paid work, leaving behind those who have too many ties to follow suit, and end up forced into stacking shelves, or those not bright enough to follow suit

Maybe so. Thing is though Si, as there are currently no careers in Kirkby - people move away to find better paid work anyway. So again, no argument there.

doubt he'd agree that stacking shelves is the same thing - maybe short term, but some people like to look further than where the next meal is coming from

Some may like to look further. Some dont or cant. Terribly short-sighted to dismiss jobs in Tesco completely for some. Not everyone can be a male nurse such as yourself. Kirkby could benefit from any kind of jobs, even 'stacking shelves' - ideal for say, students as a stop gap. Theres no argument there, it brings jobs to an area which is no doubt a benefit. You say would I not rather an alternative, such as?

And no, I have no intention to remain in Kirkby/Liverpool for that matter.

no, a job in retail is not a profession - it is a job

According to Wikipedia

Deary me, quoting Wikipedia (y):lol: What next? "Websters dictionary defines....."

Some jobs in retail are fairly well paid you know Si. Take the Tesco Graduate scheme for example - starting on £23,000, fully expensed company car etc. And then theres the Aldi Graduate scheme... £40,000, fully expensed Audi A4 etc.

It doesnt really matter does it, whether these jobs are professions or not, they still create jobs, which brings wages, which brings wealth to the local community and MAYBE gets 1 or 2 people off the dole, which gives them self worth. Lots of people have crap low paid jobs, you tell them that the job they are doing is not worthwhile and im sure they will show you wage slips that prove otherwise. Its downright snobbery to assume that everybody can be a high skilled professional worker.

Deary me, quoting Wikipedia (y):lol: What next? "Websters dictionary defines....."

Some jobs in retail are fairly well paid you know Si. Take the Tesco Graduate scheme for example - starting on £23,000, fully expensed company car etc. And then theres the Aldi Graduate scheme... £40,000, fully expensed Audi A4 etc.

Am pretty sure Terry Leahy is quite rich as well and he works in retail, then there is a certain Mr Green!

That's the point he's making though: they wont be anything like a profession.They are poorly paid jobs with no hope of developing into anything else.

Very poor outlook to have on life.

There are plenty of opportunities. Managerial roles, or as a friend did, he applied to the in store pharmacy, was encouraged to do qualifications and is now on a good amount of money. Nearly £40,000 - not bad for someone who left with 6 GCSES but fair enough, he had to stack shelves for a few years...

Am pretty sure Terry Leahy is quite rich as well and he works in retail, then there is a certain Mr Green!

Or, spend three years doing a degree. In between work part-time stacking shelves.

Upon Graduation, apply with your degree and instore experience;

Aldi Stores Limited graduate-jobs.com UK graduate recruitment and careers

Aldi Recruitment :: Home

Starting on £40,000 whether you are stacking shelves for a while or not - its much easier work, better paid with a nice fully expensed Audi A4 and mobile.... dare I say it, better than Nursing Si?

Don't completely demean jobs such as that.

Or, spend three years doing a degree. In between work part-time stacking shelves.

Upon Graduation, apply with your degree and instore experience;

Aldi Stores Limited graduate-jobs.com UK graduate recruitment and careers

Aldi Recruitment :: Home

Starting on £40,000 whether you are stacking shelves for a while or not - its much easier work, better paid with a nice fully expensed Audi A4 and mobile.... dare I say it, better than Nursing Si?

Don't completely demean jobs such as that.

Dont have a go because he is a failed doctor danny, he cant help being stupid:lol:

I have a good amount of admiration towards nursing, as I do towards people who are prepared to stack shelves.

There are people who would attempt to demean both, which is wrong really.

Very poor outlook to have on life.

There are plenty of opportunities. Managerial roles, or as a friend did, he applied to the in store pharmacy, was encouraged to do qualifications and is now on a good amount of money. Nearly £40,000 - not bad for someone who left with 6 GCSES but fair enough, he had to stack shelves for a few years...

No, it's a realist outlook on life. Your mate is an exception that proves the rule. Go and ask the thousands of supermarket workers what percentage of them go on to become managers. It's a job and gives someone a bit of money and a bit of structure - which is good. But you cant in a milion years claim it's the first step on the career ladder as the Knowsley CEO claimed this week at the inquiry. It's just patronising to the people working in those jobs to claim that, which is a bit [Poor language removed] really.

No, it's a realist outlook on life. Your mate is an exception that proves the rule. Go and ask the thousands of supermarket workers what percentage of them go on to become managers. It's a job and gives someone a bit of money and a bit of structure - which is good. But you cant in a milion years claim it's the first step on the career ladder as the Knowsley CEO claimed this week at the inquiry. It's just patronising to the people working in those jobs to claim that, which is a bit [Poor language removed] really.

It can be if you want it to be. It can offer an income while you pursue other means - something Kirkby desperately needs. To dismiss it as a dead end job is short-sighted. You said "theres no hope" of any progress? if theres any exception to the rule, then there is indeed... hope.

As you said, it offers "a big of money and a bit of structure" - that is essential. Absolutely essential. Take me as an example, during gaining my qualifactions I had no means of income at sixth form/college level as quite simply I had to no access to any job at all. A lot of friends dropped out for this reason. Having managed to stick that out, during my degree I had to drive to St Helens, Whiston etc to work within the NHS etc as again, there was no short term jobs/income/structure/work experience within Kirkby. Something Kirkby desperately needs.

So you cant go onto have a career if you start as a shelve stacker? :lol: Very few people start in high powered job, you work from the bottom upwards

It can be if you want it to be. It can offer an income while you pursue other means - something Kirkby desperately needs. To dismiss it as a dead end job is short-sighted.

As you said, it offers "a big of money and a bit of structure" - that is essential. Absolutely essential. Take me as an example, during gaining my qualifications I had no means of income at sixth form/college level as quite simply I had to no access to any job at all. A lot of friends dropped out for this reason. Having managed to stick that out, during my degree I managed to get a driving license/car so I could drive to St Helens, Whiston etc to work within the NHS etc as again, there was no short term jobs/income/structure/work experience within Kirkby. Something Kirkby desperately needs to give, as you said "a big of money and a bit of structure".

If there was a Tesco in Kirkby 5 years ago. I certainly would have worked there if given the chance for a means of income and experience to support studies. Certainly rather do that than travel for miles to work in an office doing data entry etc. Would I have had no hope?

It can be if you want it to be. It can offer an income while you pursue other means - something Kirkby desperately needs. To dismiss it as a dead end job is short-sighted.

As you said, it offers "a big of money and a bit of structure" - that is essential. Absolutely essential. Take me as an example, during gaining my qualifactions I had no means of income at sixth form/college level as quite simply I had to no access to any job at all. A lot of friends dropped out for this reason. Having managed to stick that out, during my degree I managed to get a driving license/car so I could drive to St Helens, Whiston etc to work within the NHS etc as again, there was no short term jobs/income/structure/work experience within Kirkby. Something Kirkby desperately needs to give, as you said "a big of money and a bit of structure".

If there was a Tesco in Kirkby 5 years ago. I certainly would have worked there if given the chance for a means of income and experience to support studies. Certainly rather do that than travel for miles to work in an office doing data entry etc. Would I have had no hope?

Good for you (genuinely). I accept the student population would benefit for course fees and to supplement whatever grant/allowance/bursary they get - but they are the type of people who will travel around outside the area anyway to find employment - they wont generally see managing a supermarket as the objective of the exercise. The aim, and what the Knowsley/Terco claim, is that it will mop up the long term unemployed and put them on a career. It wont. It'll provide a few hundred with low paid, flexi-hour, insecure employment and they wont, by and large, move on from that. It's a job, sure, but to sell it as a key to another life is a bit sick, imo. And I dont expect many in Kirkby will see it any other way either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back