Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a little theory that our perceived 'downgrading' of transfer targets this summer is a long-term strategic plan, stemming from Walsh.

He's come in and said: "Look, if you want, you can be like all the other clubs, chucking money at expensive foreign 'stars' who often come in and do a mediocre job. Alternatively, I can give you a list of much cheaper, much less glamorous signings for this summer that will perform just as well."

The point being that a club that finished 11th back to back will, no matter how exciting the project, have to spend massively over the odds to get 'good-but-not-great' players. So we use this summer to strengthen cheaply and cleverly, bank on Koeman whipping that squad into shape, get 5th or 6th, and next summer unleash the big guns with a much more solid base to buy talent into.

A slightly longer route to the top but more stable, and avoids us getting a reputation as massive over-spenders.

I have a little theory that our perceived 'downgrading' of transfer targets this summer is a long-term strategic plan, stemming from Walsh.

He's come in and said: "Look, if you want, you can be like all the other clubs, chucking money at expensive foreign 'stars' who often come in and do a mediocre job. Alternatively, I can give you a list of much cheaper, much less glamorous signings for this summer that will perform just as well."

The point being that a club that finished 11th back to back will, no matter how exciting the project, have to spend massively over the odds to get 'good-but-not-great' players. So we use this summer to strengthen cheaply and cleverly, bank on Koeman whipping that squad into shape, get 5th or 6th, and next summer unleash the big guns with a much more solid base to buy talent into.

A slightly longer route to the top but more stable, and avoids us getting a reputation as massive over-spenders.

We're still throwing £18million at these so called "lesser" players ffs!

Who's Cheaply? any good?

We're still throwing £18million at these so called "lesser" players ffs!

Firstly, they aren't necessarily lesser, just cheaper. Secondly, £18m IS cheap this summer, and by all accounts would be a massive bargain for Kone. I'd be surprised if we got him for that little.

Edit: I don't think this precludes us from getting a marquee player or two - I still reckon we're in with a good shout for Witsel and Mata - but it's a change from us spaffing loads on EVERY position

Last edited:

But £18m+ on Bolasie or Kone isn't that good a deal.

I'm out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back