Steven Naismith though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he has limitations but whenever called on he gives 100% and more often than not, he delivers. He's not a journeyman - he's a skilled and effective player, and he's earned his chance to have a run of starts in the team. Is he good enough to start in a team aspiring to Champions League football ? I'm not so sure - but let's see how he does against Arsenal and Chelsea.

There seems to be a level of snobbishness with some Evertonians regarding Naismith. A refusal to accept that a free transfer Scottish albino could be an influential player in a premiership team.
At first I didn't believe he had the physical ability to play in the premiership... but I was so wrong.

There seems to be a level of snobbishness with some Evertonians regarding Naismith. A refusal to accept that a free transfer Scottish albino could be an influential player in a premiership team.
At first I didn't believe he had the physical ability to play in the premiership... but I was so wrong.
It's not that at all, not for me anyway. He's done ok, but his contributions are still getting judged against the putrid performances he put in in his first season.

I understand the mood about him: everyone likes a comeback kid, and he's done ok so you cant knock that. But for me he's not a player you have in that position from the off. He's someone you turn to off the bench...which is what Martinez has used him as unless we've been rocked by injuries. We desperately need someone to come in and give us something now that Barkley has been ruled out. We cant rely on someone like Naismith all season in that key role.

Over a full season we undoubtedly need a squad. Naisy and Rom work well together, with Naisy exploiting the space and chipping in with his fair share of goals. From yesterday's team replace McGeady with Kev and we have a balanced forward line who can cause any premiership team problems.

Over a full season we undoubtedly need a squad. Naisy and Rom work well together, with Naisy exploiting the space and chipping in with his fair share of goals. From yesterday's team replace McGeady with Kev and we have a balanced forward line who can cause any premiership team problems.
Mirallas prefers the left. If you're replacing McGeady with anyone it'd be Atsu, who's an unknown quantity in the PL.

Mirallas prefers the left. If you're replacing McGeady with anyone it'd be Atsu, who's an unknown quantity in the PL.

At present Mirallas is certainly our strongest option on the right flank regardless of which side he favours. Both Atsu and McGeady are unproven at this level, both however will get their chance due to the amount of games we have this season.

Amongst some there has always been a doubt over Naismith's abilities and merit.

Because of this when he has an off game, the guy gets more stick than say when Lukaku has one of his 'wandering about' games. No criticism or picking on Lukaku here by the way, just using this as an example.

He's an easy target, if Lukaku or Baines or Coleman, etc, and then Naismith had all great games, more people would quote Lukaku, Baines or Coleman quicker. If they all had off games, more people would quote Naismith's name. When Lukaku or Barkley misses an open goal it's bad. When Naismith misses an open goal it sums up that he just doesn't cut it here and people are clambering for him to be sold.

For whatever reason he's never been seen as 'glam' or media friendly as some of our other players, and when things go wrong this serves the critics needs perfectly.

I'm all for people criticising players if the player in question has been truly crap. I'm not saying Naismith performs every game but the stats do back up that he's been far better than some make out, and maybe even better than some of our other more 'accepted' stars. He tries every game and you rarely see him give up. If he was a trier but he was brutal then you could argue that wasn't enough. But he is by far, not the worst player we have.

On here I do wonder sometimes. We call ourselves supporters but some spend more time tearing apart what we have.

(P.S. davek this is not aimed at you. I'm aware you have had enough grief already! I know you never went overboard on criticism of Naismith, I'm more referring to some of those who made ridiculously harsh over the top comments about him over the past seasons. I agree with your thoughts on him being good as an impact sub. Ideally, we would have a more naturally gifted striker to play alongside Lukaku from the start but on the same hand all I was saying is Naismith isn't the worst either).

Last edited:

I've been getting stick all day over the Naismith stuff.

TBF, you'd think I was saying we should punt him or something. I'm not. But I think he's limited and he's defo not a starter. So does the manager, btw. He's in when we have less than the full complement and for the most part remains on the bench to do what he does best: cause problems to tiring teams.

Apparently though he's the new sacred cow on here and you cant point out that he's a journeyman.

Naismith is turbo gash mark II :bye:

At present Mirallas is certainly our strongest option on the right flank regardless of which side he favours. Both Atsu and McGeady are unproven at this level, both however will get their chance due to the amount of games we have this season.

Mirallas or Pienaar on the left, McGeady or Atsu on the right. That's the way it'll be this season. In fact, McGeady is possibly better on the left and is being played out of position, but that's what the manager wants.

We have to move for someone in Barkley's position if he's out until Christmas. If we dont (and if we dont move for a forward who can do both roles competently) I'll know all there is to know about our finances and the ambitions of this club.

There's cash there apparently. Let's get it spent.

Dave just calm down like. You were like this in January. When he said he was saving the money for THIS SUMMER.

Let the manager get someone he wants. He said he was looking for another one or two.

Just calm down like. :yellow:

you're pre empting everything. o_O

Mirallas or Pienaar on the left, McGeady or Atsu on the right. That's the way it'll be this season. In fact, McGeady is possibly better on the left and is being played out of position, but that's what the manager wants.

Quite an apt phrase for a thread on Naismith...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back