Steven Naismith though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirallas or Pienaar on the left, McGeady or Atsu on the right. That's the way it'll be this season. In fact, McGeady is possibly better on the left and is being played out of position, but that's what the manager wants.

If Kev had been fit yesterday it would have been McGeady that dropped out, absolutly no doubt about it. Wingers tend to blow hot and cold so we can expect plenty rotation. It will be interesting to see if Atsu and McGeady can make the grade with us, the early signs from Aiden are not encouraging though.

If Kev had been fit yesterday it would have been McGeady that dropped out, absolutly no doubt about it. Wingers tend to blow hot and cold so we can expect plenty rotation. It will be interesting to see if Atsu and McGeady can make the grade with us, the early signs from Aiden are not encouraging though.
Yeah, I noticed that when he rattled in that belter hyesterday. I thought: 'he's clearly not up to it'.

Yeah, I noticed that when he rattled in that belter hyesterday. I thought: 'he's clearly not up to it'.

Take it you missed him twice passing straight to the opposition from all of 5 yards or the previous 18 games where he didn't score and has been generally garbage? That was my point, however like everyone else I hope he can produce moments of genius like his goal every week.

Take it you missed him twice passing straight to the opposition from all of 5 yards or the previous 18 games where he didn't score and has been generally garbage? That was my point, however like everyone else I hope he can produce moments of genius like his goal every week.
I don't know why people are so out to dump on McGeady. He may make the odd mistake - like Barkley does - and though he may not have youth as an excuse, I'm sure he'll improve under Martinez. He's definitely not 'generally garbage.' That's absurd.

I don't understand how Naismith's goal and MOTM performance doesn't earn him any slack. He's a hard worker, scores goals and is far more consistent than McGeady. Our outstanding problem at the moment is a lack of backup/competition for Lukaku and a defence that looks delicate if any one of our established four are out.

I don't understand how Naismith's goal and MOTM performance doesn't earn him any slack. He's a hard worker, scores goals and is far more consistent than McGeady. Our outstanding problem at the moment is a lack of backup/competition for Lukaku and a defence that looks delicate if any one of our established four are out.
Naismith has done more than enough to prove himself. Anyone still thinking he's not good enough isn't watching the games - or even just casually glancing at the scoresheet.

Naismith has done more than enough to prove himself. Anyone still thinking he's not good enough isn't watching the games - or even just casually glancing at the scoresheet.

Agree. I've become a Naismith fan. He's developed since the days of Moyes sticking him out on the right and telling him to 'work hard for the team'. He has his limitations - he doesn't have quick feet to manipulate the ball and he lacks a little pace to get on the end of through balls. But his appreciation of space and his movement is excellent. Off the top of my head, can't think of anyone better in the current side (ok, maybe Pienaar?). And his finishing is decent. He's just an intelligent footballer, and he suits the Martinez style of moving the ball sharply in the final third to create chances. Never be a superstar but he's got plenty to offer.

Agree. I've become a Naismith fan. He's developed since the days of Moyes sticking him out on the right and telling him to 'work hard for the team'. He has his limitations - he doesn't have quick feet to manipulate the ball and he lacks a little pace to get on the end of through balls. But his appreciation of space and his movement is excellent. Off the top of my head, can't think of anyone better in the current side (ok, maybe Pienaar?). And his finishing is decent. He's just an intelligent footballer, and he suits the Martinez style of moving the ball sharply in the final third to create chances. Never be a superstar but he's got plenty to offer.

For the 1st couple months Bob put Naismith out on the right side as well until injuries gave him no choice to move him to his actual position. Granted Moyes did have much more of a fetish for CFs (Naismith, Big Vic and McFadden) on the wings though.

...I think Naismith is a good footballer, much better than being just a hard worker. Whilst losing Barkley is a major blow, I reckon Naismith might weigh in with more goals than Ross would've scored and will provide decent cover.

For the 1st couple months Bob put Naismith out on the right side as well until injuries gave him no choice to move him to his actual position. Granted Moyes did have much more of a fetish for CFs (Naismith, Big Vic and McFadden) on the wings though.
With Pienaar injured and Deulofeu needing time to adapt to the league think we had limited options out on the wings at the start of last season. Thought he had a good game out on the left wing away at City - he sent two players off with injuries in an attempt to level the playing field anyway :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back