Stoke v Everton 1st Jan 2014 @ 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great character there from the lads to stick at that.

I said early today I'd be reasonably happy with a point given the CB situation. I stand by that.

Well said Dave, someone actually thinking rather than being a reactionary 'sky is falling' blert, was a good point that very few will better in the same fixture this season

I have just read back the thread from just after half time and seriously some posters need to get a grip.
The goal was the fault of Barkley, Lukaku and Stones. McCarthys performance was disgusting. We are slipping down the league at an alarming rate and so on and so on. You can see the frustration of losing in the writing of such bull that it is laughable and fickle.

My take on the game was we were dominant and Stoke defended brilliantly. We kept our composure and tried to make opening rather than hoof. It was just one of those games against a very good home team. As soon as people get it out of there heads that we are going to win the league then all cats, dogs and wives will live a little safer.

Dropping five points from our 'easiest' run of fixtures isn't great really. Going to be a struggle to get top 4 now when you consider our last three home games are United, City, and Arsenal.

There's a few months in between like. Plus, we've beaten Utd and competed equally with Arsenal away already. There's 6 teams right in the mix, 7 at a push if Newcastle get a run going again.

I was as frustrated as the next Blue with that game, but let's be fair it's not the worst result we'll get/ have had this season.

Over the Christmas period, we've won 2, drawn 1 and lost 1. Admittedly those results haven't been against the top teams, but the most important thing is is that we've kept going. To get some perspective, we've been without Baines, Deulofeu, Jagielka, Distin, Barry and Howard in most of the games over Christmas. Lukaku's first touch seems so bad simply because he is most probably knackered from the amount of time he's spent up top on his own.

The performances have looked really tired over Christmas, but at least we've carried on picking up points. We're still one point off the top four, and now looking at a lot less of a manic fixture list. No matter what the miracles Martinez pulled off in the last window, the fact is we still have a small squad. It's 38 games over a season, and we've shown we can still do it against the best.

The opportunity now is to get a couple of fresh faces in again in January, and reload. We started off stale in the first three games this season, and have just had another four stale games or so. It happens- just as we picked up our form after the first three matches, we can pick it up again from here. Top 4 may be a tough ask- look at the quality in depth the rest of the teams have- but even if we just miss out, we're building, and there is still something special starting here. Another striker/ defender and we'll be right back at it!

COYB

2a5hoit.jpg

just seen newcastle lost

yes get in. even better debuchy got sent off, the newcastle fans have been saying he's the best right back in the league and better than coleman haha

nice

Stones and alcaraz were brilliant. Jelavic looked sharp and hungry when he come on.
Just a frustrating match, we desperatly need another creative player that can create out of nothing when we come up against these teams that just sit back against us.

Ref was ****e and mark hughes needs banging out the ********

Some of Stoke's defending was fantastic, fair play to our lads for battling on though. A point at their place definitely isn't a bad result.

One of the most frustrating games I've watched this season. It was just a sea of red & white stripes pitched in the opposition's goalmouth. Hate playing against this lot.

Not the result we wanted but at least we got a point. We know where we need to improve and we will improve, in Jan.

We're not out of any fourth spot race because we drew away at stoke.

Be tough though pal, if United win it'll be close up there!

I thought we did enough to win today

They defend like dogs and its no suprise they are a tough nut to crack at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back