Stoke v Everton 1st Jan 2014 @ 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always going to be hard to turn those games like today's into wins with a bench like ours. When Osman is the only one close to being a game changer on the bench, it shows were very weak behond a tired, depleted first 11.

Think its a bit harsh to expect Barkley to bail us out in these types of games in his first half season. I've no doubt he'll improve at that final ball in time tho. We're lacking wingers and strikers to come on and make a difference in those tight games. Deleufoe has been a big loss for such situations.

Stoke forum
0d081598bedca5236fd9ba4512a47ae2.png

Get in! I thought we'd lost 1-0. Obviously a point at Stoke isn't anything to be too made up by but still, better than losing.

We're still boss.

Stoke's home record is W4, D5, L1, which shows how difficult they are to beat at their place. I'd sooner be unlucky only getting a 1-1 draw there than losing 2-3 as Chelsea did.

That was a good point. The question you ask is: how many of our direct rivals will go Stoke and get all three points? I bet it won't be all so in that context a point is probably par for the course, not a disaster.

I have seen Everton many times in the recent past go into a tough away game against a well-organised mid-table side while we were on a decent run of form and then see us get dominated and lose. It was losing such games that perennially condemned us to 6th/7th/8th but today we dominated Stoke (though we were not as slick as we have been) in a way we have never done at The Britannia before. The depth of the squad is a worry but that game has not killed my hope of getting top 4.

Hopefully 2 or 3 quality signings (CM, ST, creative attaching mid such as Tadic) will see us through the winter. We need a player who can thread a pass through a wall.

A lot of good things about that game. Mainly what a great spirit there must be in our squad, a real desire to get the points.
We dominated a team that are tough to beat at home - and we got a well deserved point. And with a pinch of better luck would have had all three.
Coming back the way we did and getting a point here shows again we are contenders for a top four spot.

Optimism please!

1pt off top 4 with over half the season gone.
Time for some weary legs to take a rest now.
Baines is back.
Jags, Distin, Deulofeu to be back soon.
Stoke have an excellent home record.
our heads didn't drop - we played right through to the end.
I trust Martinez to work a couple of useful signings by the end of Jan.

- An inch or two either side on one of Kev's two efforts and we absolutely coast that game. They offered nothing.
- Stoke defended brilliantly.
- Awful conditions.
- Our makeshift defence did well.
- Fair play Leon Osman.

- Allez Allez Allez Oh?

as good as we are in possession, the telling stat is shots on target, and we had the same exact amount as Stoke.

Barcelona would be embarrased with that stat.

We clearly need more attacking players in the squad. Bring in a suarez type player, small, agile, quick.

I see Liverpool have just signed Salah who is the exact same mould as Suarez, with him sturridge and sterling they could easily score 4-5 goals a game, and no doubt their statics if they don't score will be more like 15 shots on target rather than a measly 4.

Invest in some attacking players please Bill!! INVEST.

was it just my eyes or did barkley perform the flip flap?

[video=youtube;LXqPEpeokCg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqPEpeokCg[/video]

someone needs to get me the gif of it.

Yes I think we need a gif of this, It happened that fast I'm not sure what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back