Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t he struggle to cement a place in Bournemouth’s midfield?
That is true, but then he went back to Arsenal and has been their best player many times this season.
I wouldn't trust Allardyce to get the best out of him, but he can be really good when played to his strengths.

Personally doubt theres anything in the Wilshere story.
How could there be? If there’s any truth in Brand coming, not sure how any transfer rumor could be true. I also don’t believe Sam will be around, either. So it would be kind of tough to have any idea of what we are going to do.

I have 0 expectations from this window as well because we still have Walsh in charge. And if there are any plans being made for the squad shake up right now then it would involve him.

If we had sacked him after January and given the new DoF 4 months to work on summer targets then I'd be optimistic. As it stands, even if we sack him now at the end of the season, the new man would still not be able to clear even 50% of the mess in 2 months.

This club, from top to bottom is an utter mess. Even with tons of cash and proven players they bottled it. We play 1980s style championship football at best and will continue to do so for considerable time. God help us when we move to the new stadium as we are more likely to end up like West Ham than anything.

When he's at his best, he can be brilliant. Trouble for Arsenal is that his best wasn't frequent enough.
Definitely an upgrade for us though.

Wilshere would be a good signing.

No idea what yer basing this on other than how dire our current midfield is.... Wilshere would be a terrible signing!.... Overrated, always injured, and would be on a salary that would further destroy the team spirit at the club (if theres any left)....

We need to be looking at what Spurs have done, buying good young players and slowly building a team...no 'superstars', no more rejects from big clubs....if the likes of Rooney, Sneiderlin, Wallcott, Wilshere were any good, they wouldn't be leaving top clubs to join us...

No idea what yer basing this on other than how dire our current midfield is.... Wilshere would be a terrible signing!.... Overrated, always injured, and would be on a salary that would further destroy the team spirit at the club (if theres any left)....

We need to be looking at what Spurs have done, buying good young players and slowly building a team...no 'superstars', no more rejects from big clubs....if the likes of Rooney, Sneiderlin, Wallcott, Wilshere were any good, they wouldn't be leaving top clubs to join us...
I'm basing it on him being in the top 5 passers in the league and our midfield bring appalling. Statistically the numbers are there to back it up. So I'm basing my opinion on a combination of gut instinct and hard evidence.

I'm basing it on him being in the top 5 passers in the league and our midfield bring appalling. Statistically the numbers are there to back it up. So I'm basing my opinion on a combination of gut instinct and hard evidence.

giphy.gif

Top 5, in a league with De Bruyne, Silva, Sane, Eriksen, Hazard, Son, Mata, firminho, fabregas.... Ok then...

Statistically.... Here's the numbers, 84th for assists & 177th for pass completion...

Screenshot_20180401-084828.webp

Screenshot_20180401-085009.webp

Watched Brozovic yesterday - it was a straight forward game for Inter, but he was good. He was the one picking out forwards runs - spreading play. Played deep central midfield - he got caught on the ball a couple of times. He would play the position Rooney plays in midfield.

Top 5, in a league with De Bruyne, Silva, Sane, Eriksen, Hazard, Son, Mata, firminho, fabregas.... Ok then...

Statistically.... Here's the numbers, 84th for assists & 177th for pass completion...

View attachment 45241

View attachment 45242

Yeah that's an obvious bad use of stats. Firstly the guy was injured loads before Christmas. Secondly pure numbers are irrelevant. Cleverleys were great.

It's where the passes go that matters. Interpretation is key.

I would prefer us to sign 2 quality signings each window (no more) and gradually improve the standard of our squad.

More importantly, lets invest in the best world class manager we can. Regardless of cost. The best managers can attract the best players (Usually!)

Money squandered last year on potential could better have been focused on quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back