Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don’t give a toss if we sign anyone, although I know we will.

We’ve done our best bit of business for years with the appointment of Silva who will give us back an identity to be proud of, have us playing attacking, entertaining football, showing no fear and going everywhere to try and win.

He’ll improve the players we already have. He’ll give them the belief and encouragement to be positive and express themselves and there will be no more “expected losses” mentality.

Nothing happening until next week in terms of players in.

Let's give Silva a chance to see the squad before we spend and improve.

We know that we still need to move players on but Silva might see something in one or two of them which he feels could work for us.

I expect loans out soon and our first signing by Wednesday.

So let's just relax, enjoy the World Cup and keep dry x

tmpl-30-d.webp

Nothing happening until next week in terms of players in.

Let's give Silva a chance to see the squad before we spend and improve.

We know that we still need to move players on but Silva might see something in one or two of them which he feels could work for us.

I expect loans out soon and our first signing by Wednesday.

So let's just relax, enjoy the World Cup and keep dry x

View attachment 47609

The likes of Keane and Schneiderlin have the ability to be turned around with good coaching, a fully fired up Schneiderlin in the right system is a better player than Carvalho IMO

The key is priority positions get sorted first, then down the list of whats needed.

The two most glaring positions for us are Kent back and centre back, both these seem to be the ones the only genuine links with any substance are coming out about, Tierney, Mina and the French lad from Rennes.

After that get hopefully someone in on the left like Lozano in an ideal situation, shift as many of the crap as we can out.

Then see what we have left and what deals are possible in other areas, center mid, up front etc

The point is mate if Silva has a bad start of the season lets not pretend the fans wont be on his back. Football is a results business and I guarantee with the easy fixture list a few bad results/performances and it'll be the fractured fanbase once again.

Silva has to have his squad ready to go - too many times under Moyes and under Martinez we went into the season not ready due to late signings who haven't been bedded in to the starting 11.

I appreciate the task this season, but the club face yet again another missed opportunity if we dont crack on and get those vital signings through the door and bedded in.

This isn't the worst squad in years, though.

Koeman and Sam both got sacked because they didn't manage to get the bare minimum (7th) out of this squad.

We've got talent. We need some quality in some crucial areas - mainly left-back, centre-back, midfield and probably a forward.

We've got another 6 players we need to ship out, probably.

The squad needs to be leaner heading into the season, with two quality players for roles rather than 3-4 average ones. We'll know who and what we want and we will be making attempts to get them.

We've gone from:

Defence Lescott > Stones > Williams

Defensive midfield Felliani > Barry > Schnerderlin

Attacking Midfield Arteta > Barkley > Siggurdsson

Centre forward Yakubu > Lukaku> Tosun/Niasse

Remember when Super Kev and Franny Jeffers were shooting us into narrowly avoiding relegation?

Lets not pretend that we’ve regressed from there.

Also - this is still not a cold hard fact FYI.

The point is mate if Silva has a bad start of the season lets not pretend the fans wont be on his back. Football is a results business and I guarantee with the easy fixture list a few bad results/performances and it'll be the fractured fanbase once again.

Silva has to have his squad ready to go - too many times under Moyes and under Martinez we went into the season not ready due to late signings who haven't been bedded in to the starting 11.

I appreciate the task this season, but the club face yet again another missed opportunity if we dont crack on and get those vital signings through the door and bedded in.
There’d be fans unhappy if we got off to a flier.

I remain positive we are heading in the right direction - a few results won’t change that. The evidence will be in the performances. Maximising what we have and stabilising the club club is the first task. We aren’t ready to climb the league with 2-3 signings. Relying on other teams failing isn’t growth.

It’s going to be a continual effort, for that I’m patient.

This isn't the worst squad in years, though.

Koeman and Sam both got sacked because they didn't manage to get the bare minimum (7th) out of this squad.

We've got talent. We need some quality in some crucial areas - mainly left-back, centre-back, midfield and probably a forward.

We've got another 6 players we need to ship out, probably.

The squad needs to be leaner heading into the season, with two quality players for roles rather than 3-4 average ones. We'll know who and what we want and we will be making attempts to get them.

...other than goalkeeper, that sounds like ‘all’ crucial areas as opposed to ‘some’ crucial areas. Unfortunately it’s a very poorly balanced squad, players purchased with no playing strategy or blend in mind. It’s too big, it’s unwieldy and needs a severe overhaul to enable us to progress.

Like it or not the cold hard facts are we currently have one of the worst squads I've seen us have since the 90's and not a single signing or even bid for a player registered with only a month of the window to go.

People carry on like we are some unique case when we are not, plenty of clubs have had bloated squads of crap down the years but they remedy that by bringing in better players whilst getting the squad cut down.

If we are only capable of negotiating deals for outgoings and havent the man power or negotiating skills to do both jobs then you have to ask what the hell is going on.
Major surgery is what the hell is going on , mass cull, sorting the wheat from the chaff, weilding the axe . Put it whichever way you want but this will take time.
Dont think for a moment nothing is happening on incomings as Brands has stated his phone hasnt stopped from agents pushing their players.So if none have been signed yet it shows they will take their time and get the RIGHT players of quality in.
Or do you prefer the Koeman/Walsh scattergun approach and just sign a load of players and hope it works?
Just chill fella , weathers fantastic , boss footie on tv later , have a few beers and give Silva & Brands a bit of time to do their job.

...other than goalkeeper, that sounds like ‘all’ crucial areas as opposed to ‘some’ crucial areas. Unfortunately it’s a very poorly balanced squad, players purchased with no playing strategy or blend in mind. It’s too big, it’s unwieldy and needs a severe overhaul to enable us to progress.

Think we are way more into a mass culling than it appears even mate, fully expect a couple leaving each week till the season starts, Williams, Bolasie would be my tips to br next out the door

We've gone from:

Lets not pretend that we haven't regressed outside of the GK and I see no urgency to sort this out.

1 month left lets see what happens.

Mate 1 indisputable fact is the squad finished 8th last season and could lose 12+ players from that squad and not notice any difference.
It'll take more than 1 summer to sort out the mess of a squad Walsh and koeman left.

We've gone from:

Lets not pretend that we haven't regressed outside of the GK and I see no urgency to sort this out.

1 month left lets see what happens.

Everything you say is true...But you can't seriously want us to be going out there and making this squad even bigger surely?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back