Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
What concerns me about the rojo reports is it once again suggests we haven’t identified a particular ‘type’ of player.

Mina is a 6ft 5 man mountain who doesn’t look particularly quick but is a dominant ball winner, while rojo’s strengths (such as they are) have always struck me as being a decent all round footballer, and his recovery defending. Mina’s right Footed, rojo is left. He’s also 4 years older. They’re not alike at all as far as I can see, so why are we moving from one to the other? Surely there’s another player more similar to Mina if that’s the profile we want.
Very good point. I’ve said ever since we were first linked I couldn’t understand the chase for Mina. We’re crying out for a left footed left sided centre half. Since Mori was sold we don’t have one at the club.

Mina is neither left footed or comfortable on the left side of defence. Davinson Sanchez is also a right footed defender, but it’s him who plays the left sided role for Columbia because he’s slightly more comfortable there.

That means, if we sign Mina who the club obviously want, we still won’t have a left footed centre half at the club. You’re then looking at shifting Keane/Holgate/Jagielka over to that side and none of those are left footed either.

I know Jagielka and Keane CAN play there and have done, but it’s a bugbear of mine as I like to see a balanced team with players comfortable in their best positions.

Rojo is left sided but I’m not even going there. I’m genuinely scratching my head at our transfer strategy at the moment it seems to be just as mixed up and desperate as it was under the last lot!

I’ve got it we just get the men’s 4x4 100m team.
Instant back 4 and would keep the ‘lack of pace’ brigade happy.

It’s not pace it’s speed of thought too, a footballing brain and technique.
We're missing both tbh. One can compensate for the other, but Jagielka, Keane and Williams don't have either. Distin was not good at reading the game, but his pace allowed him to recover usually.

What concerns me about the rojo reports is it once again suggests we haven’t identified a particular ‘type’ of player.

Mina is a 6ft 5 man mountain who doesn’t look particularly quick but is a dominant ball winner, while rojo’s strengths (such as they are) have always struck me as being a decent all round footballer, and his recovery defending. Mina’s right Footed, rojo is left. He’s also 4 years older. They’re not alike at all as far as I can see, so why are we moving from one to the other? Surely there’s another player more similar to Mina if that’s the profile we want.
I think it really is as simple as we need to sign a decent defender. Worry about all that other stuff later

Maybe we're looking at bringing in two cb's. (I'm probably clutching at straws)

Lads I've been up all night refreshing this page and NOTHING

What's going on ffs? Sky said we were going to buy a player waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Very good point. I’ve said ever since we were first linked I couldn’t understand the chase for Mina. We’re crying out for a left footed left sided centre half. Since Mori was sold we don’t have one at the club.

Mina is neither left footed or comfortable on the left side of defence. Davinson Sanchez is also a right footed defender, but it’s him who plays the left sided role for Columbia because he’s slightly more comfortable there.

That means, if we sign Mina who the club obviously want, we still won’t have a left footed centre half at the club. You’re then looking at shifting Keane/Holgate/Jagielka over to that side and none of those are left footed either.

I know Jagielka and Keane CAN play there and have done, but it’s a bugbear of mine as I like to see a balanced team with players comfortable in their best positions.

Rojo is left sided but I’m not even going there. I’m genuinely scratching my head at our transfer strategy at the moment it seems to be just as mixed up and desperate as it was under the last lot!
Richarlison and Digne mixed up signings ?

According to SSN,Man Utd have told Mina to stay were he is a not sign for anybody, because if they don't get Maguire, they'll come in for him. Cheeky sods. Just tell Mina we actually want him, not as second choice.

Sorry but I refuse to believe it, we can not seriously be looking at rojo as the new shining light in our back line, if anything they've offered him to us which has brought all this sudden attention and we will now laugh it off and go and sign someone of quality who will help take us forward rather then a reminder of last summer. Well this is what I have to believe anyway

I’ve got it we just get the men’s 4x4 100m team.
Instant back 4 and would keep the ‘lack of pace’ brigade happy.

It’s not pace it’s speed of thought too, a footballing brain and technique.
We can’t defend with such a high line without pace at the back, so we won’t be able to press in the opponents half, meaning we will sit back and hoof it to the channels.

It doesn’t work like that though, which is the trouble we had last year. None of the players we signed are ‘bad’ players in the right system, but none of them really suited what we asked them to do. I had hoped we’d moved on from that.
I disagree. I think last summer we signed some players who were below standard no matter how we intended on playing. That said I do agree that we should at some point do that but currently we have a week and we need defenders so if we can get one then play to what they can do

Rojo is well better than we have now, I think it’s ManUre reject bubbles more than anything else.
Had anyone heard of Mina before the World Cup, and now he is the saviour. Seems too slow for me and given our ability to defend the back four, we may have issues.
Think if it’s 13 million on a reduced wage it’s a good buy, he is a sneidy angry arse and that’s what we need.
Alongside Holgate might work, alongside Keane/Jags and fat bloke I don’t know......

Sky are saying £13 million, and he's worked with Silva before. Is there a pattern emerging here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back