Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need two CBs, Rojo and a another would be alright. Mina is going to keep us waiting till deadline day to see if anyone else comes in, in my view we can't take the risk, we need one over the line by next week. Get Rojo in now and keep pushing for Mina/another CB.

We need two CBs, Rojo and a another would be alright. Mina is going to keep us waiting till deadline day to see if anyone else comes in, in my view we can't take the risk, we need one over the line by next week. Get Rojo in now and keep pushing for Mina/another CB.
absolutely. Sounds like we've made him a very decent offer and we've gone all out for him, if he still isn't playing ball by Thursday move on to the next target.

I think thats fair. The problem we have is PL experience comes at a huge cost really. You either take caste offs from above us on huge wage packages, or have to pay inflated fees to those below. He would fit Silva's system which is a positive that could be made for him.

I also believe the performances of our cab's may well have been worse than he'd have anticipated. That will be causing concern. Maybe that has pushed him in the direction of getting a more experienced head in.

The problem I have with it, is I remember making these same arguments 2 years ago to defend signings that are now ultimately weighing the club down, and restricting our ability to operate. There is not an endless pot of money, though sings such as Rojo rely upon such. So we end up reproducing the same problems further down the line.
It’s not ideal but as you say our pre season performances of centre half’s has been as bad as anyone could imagine.

I also think signing Rojo has the potential to help us with the Mina deal. I don’t buy United want him & Mourinho supposedly has been told he needs to sell before he gets alderweild or Maguire.

Perhaps it expedites either of these deals albeit alderweild appear very complex as spurs are rumoured to want martial, maybe brands is rolling the dice

The signings so far have been good and Digne in particular looks a shrewd bit of business.

I think we have to break some of the binary on Rojo. The context it's being reported by the media favourable to Manchester United would be a very bad buy. I would imagine (and hope) we are exploring a very different deal. Forget the "he's their best option" sales pitch from them, he is 5th choice, likely to be 6th choice once Maguire goes and taking up a huge wage. Like us with Williams it gives the buyer a lot of leverage.

If we can get him at around the 13-15 million price point, with united agreeing to compensate his wage for the first year, before getting him for significantly below the 120k p/w mark then it could make sense as a deal.

However thats the most positive we can say. We have spent all summer basically being told we can only sign people one we let go of expensive wage earners. That has delayed our activity and put enormous pressure on the back end which is only narrowly being avoided as a panic. If you can clear off lots of high wage earners with little sell on value, it doesn't make sense to then just re-populate the squad with another high wage earner with little sell on value. We are just compounding the same mistakes as previous years, and thats my concern.

Unfortunately, it has a bit of a feel to it of the Williams, Bolasie, Schneiderlin deal and it's hard to shake that feeling.

Definately have the leverage, hopefully we go down the loan to buy route (if we do go for him) and only purchase if he does well. £13m as little as it seems in this day and age is more than we got for Mori plus his wages are steep. Perhaps Kevin Costner FC can put us out of our misery.

Rojo is strong, powerful, quicker than Keane/Williams/Jags (now). The problems with him are injuries and red cards/rash tackles. He was mentioned to me (posted on here) 2 weeks ago by a shareholder but was behind some Bundesliga guy with a name that escapes me as back-up to Mina. Silva & Brands may well have concluded we need 2 CBs having watched pre-season but I will be surprised if Rojo (expensive fee, wages, old, injured) is one of them.

Rojo is strong, powerful, quicker than Keane/Williams/Jags (now). The problems with him are injuries and red cards/rash tackles. He was mentioned to me (posted on here) 2 weeks ago by a shareholder but was behind some Bundesliga guy with a name that escapes me as back-up to Mina. Silva & Brands may well have concluded we need 2 CBs having watched pre-season but I will be surprised if Rojo (expensive fee, wages, old, injured) is one of them.

I really have to disagree mate watching him at the World Cup, i was thinking to myself what a poor player he is and how the hell did he end up at United.

I really think he is a really, really poor player.

It would be like pouring petrol on the remains of a burned down house and having a BBQ.

I would be dumbfounded about selling Mori and wasting any wedge on this lid, Mori is a better player.

Be like selling Cleverley and signing Klassen all over again.

Watching him at the World Cup, i was thinking to myself what a poor player he is and how the hell did he end up at United.

I really think he is a really, really poor player.

It would be like pouring petrol on the remains of a burned down house and having a BBQ.

not that I think he's boss or anything, but mate argentina in a whole were terrible at the world cup, messi didn't even look that good for them

not that I think he's boss or anything, but mate argentina in a whole were terrible at the world cup, messi didn't even look that good for them

Its a small sample size agreed but i also think he is the exact same at United, Argentina defense was particularly poor, wrong decisions on whether to stick or twist, poor unit play, poor positioning and impetuous with poor discipline. Sums Rojo up for me. There is also zero difference between him and Mori, in fact i think Mori has more about him. Rojo is all effort and minimum quality, thats fine if you want a squad player but not at 30 mill and 120k a week. He is far from a Marquee center half. I wouldn't honestly prefer Scott Dann or James Tomkins and i wouldn't want either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back