Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth pointing out that Thursday is only a "soft" transfer deadline day for EFL clubs. Players can still be signed on loan with a permanent agreement (activated on January 1) right up to August 31. So there will be permanent transfers still being done right through August.

Has this been mentioned before? Would that mean a lot more activity after Thursday than expected?

Gueye is bang average. I would genuinely choose Schneiderlin over him, and that is saying something. At least he has discipline and seems to understand football. As for physicality, I've never seen it. I've noticed he has stamina, I think people are mistaking the 2.

I agree we need someone with a bit of craft though, an actual midfielder would be lovely instead of the 3 half players we currently have, who all seemingly need better players to hold their hands and take responsibility for improving them.[/QUOTE]

Schneiderlin is a complete non-entity.

Put Gana in front of the defence - with the specific task of sweeping up and regaining possession/stopping counters, and he's a hell of a player. He is wasted further forward.

You then have a few options how to play ahead of him.

Either a big, powerful box-to-box midfielder, or a more quick-footed 'playmaker'. Ideally, we get a player who can combine both, but they are extremely rare (which is why if there is even a sniff of Dembele we should be all in for him).

And no, before anyone suggests it, that player isn't Gylfi imo. He can get on the ball in the final third and cause damage, but he doesn't run a game. Regardless of his price tag, it's never something he has done.

Wrong age.

He's only 29 mate and his game doesnt rely on pace, would definitely do a job for us for another 2-3 seasons and give us time to hopefully get European football to target a younger model of similiar quality. Let Gana be the legs whilst he dictates the flow of the game.

Nemanja Matic is 30 and is quality for Utd
Barry was fantastic for us for 2 seasons when he was over 30

Cabaye at Palace for 2 seasons etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back