Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overpaying for buying PL players does not work for this club in recent time. The Newcastle defender for £50m ur...

Gueye is bang average. I would genuinely choose Schneiderlin over him, and that is saying something. At least he has discipline and seems to understand football. As for physicality, I've never seen it. I've noticed he has stamina, I think people are mistaking the 2.

I agree we need someone with a bit of craft though, an actual midfielder would be lovely instead of the 3 half players we currently have, who all seemingly need better players to hold their hands and take responsibility for improving them

Schneiderlin is a complete non-entity.

Put Gana in front of the defence - with the specific task of sweeping up and regaining possession/stopping counters, and he's a hell of a player. He is wasted further forward.

You then have a few options how to play ahead of him.

Either a big, powerful box-to-box midfielder, or a more quick-footed 'playmaker'. Ideally, we get a player who can combine both, but they are extremely rare (which is why if there is even a sniff of Dembele we should be all in for him).

And no, before anyone suggests it, that player isn't Gylfi imo. He can get on the ball in the final third and cause damage, but he doesn't run a game. Regardless of his price tag, it's never something he has done.
I'm going to guess you didn't start the quote right?

I actually think in the long term we need a DM, a powerful box to box player and a playmaker, we could probably get away with Gana as DM and Siggy as the playmaker for now if we add that powerhouse. But in an ideal world our entire midfield needs a revamp, it's quite slow and aging and each player lacks in an aspect of their game. Either that or we are relying on Davies to step up big style. Currently it doesn't protect the defence or offer enough drive forward.

whoever comes in won't be playing v Wolves on Saturday ..so it is what it is for now ... just accept goals against and hope we can score the same or more !!

Agree with this, the only issue is it appears that Silva likes his holding player to be more of a "quarterback" then just a shield.

Unfortunately Gana just doesn't have that passing ability in him, and it shows even more further up the pitch. Schneiderlin's signing pushed nana out of a position he was great in and putting him further up the pitch doesn't suit him.

If we couldn't get a number 6 to replace Schneiderlin, I have a feeling Gana would be the one to make way, even though he is better in the holding role.
We aren't replacing Gana if a CM comes in. Not a chance. It'll send Morgan to the bench and we will be MUCH better as a result.

Gueye should be one of the first names on the team sheet, only player in our squad competent in consistently getting the ball back - we’d get the best out of him if we had a player with a little flair, pace and eye for goal next to him (basicaly somebody the opposite of Schneiderlin). I think Ziyech from Ajax would be absolutely ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back