Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
This summer needs to be the summer last year should have been. We nee to improve the defence but also have more speed and creativity going forward. The amount of players this realistically is will be 5 plus a new manager and system makes next season more of development season than a closing the gap to the current top 5. Arsenal willie in the same boat (plus they need a keeper) so their position is the target.

I'd not look at anyone from a relegated team, I wouldn't look at players from Holland for this window. I'd forgot what Man Unired are discarding but - depending on budgets;

Memphis Depay has now rebuilt his confidence and will add pace and goals. Pay him more than he can get in France.

Maguire from Leicester - now in the England squad - will want a higher profile club.

Lascelles and Shelvey - take advantage of Newcastle's mess

They could all be reasonable targets to help the upgrade.

Shelvey is garbage ffs

Lascelles and Maguire - that's £80m at least on two decent CBs, no thanks

Thing is though I don’t think people are slagging him off. We just see him for what he currently is, which is average. He could still massively improve, I am not quite sure but hope I am wrong. But some people are going on like he is some world beater, saying he is one of the best at his age in his position which he certainly isn’t. As let’s be honest would you start him next season? The answer would be no especially when we sign some players as well. He needs to go out on loan for a season and see how he gets on.
This

He’s better than Rashford and that will be proven in time.

As someone involved with United, I know a lot about them and I’ve posted in the past about Rashford.

I’ll leave it at that.
Why is Rasford in the World Cup squad then and DCL isn’t? Rashford is well better than DCL. Would any top European team currently want DCL. No they probably wouldn’t. If we could loan him Rashford, I bet we would.

If he’s better right now why does he need time to prove it?

It’s not hard mate, players aren’t judged over weeks or months, it’s what they produce over a period of time that defines them.

Rashford is not particularly rated as exceptional at United and he’s surprised a lot of people. He got an opportunity and done well due to injuries but is hasn’t really played well for a whilst.

He was never a stand out player in his age group and he’s now struggled for a whilst after the initial impact when he first broke through.

The fact that the argument has got to naming 4 or 5 of the world’s elite young players and only 1 English person, who I think time will show him to be better than, just to say he’s not that good actually shows how ridiculous the argument is that he’s avetage.

He is one of the best players in the world in his position. If he comes up for sale tomorrow ALL the top English clubs will be after him and I think he’ll do very well for us this season. We certainly won’t be loaning him anywhere.

Why is Rasford in the World Cup squad then and DCL isn’t? Rashford is well better than DCL. Would any top European team currently want DCL. No they probably wouldn’t. If we could loan him Rashford, I bet we would.

Dont ask silly questions Mozza, you know why he’s in the World Cup squad and that’s cause he plays for United as it’s always been with certain clubs.

The same reason Phil Jones is in before the likes of Lascelle’s.

It’s not on what he’s doing now as he’s not doing anything, he’s been poor for months and only the couple of goals v Liverpool, thank God, have made it a respectable season.

All looking very promising lads, maybe we can get 70m for him this window if Boris is right

Reactions: ADT
I don’t think we truly know what we do/do not have yet in DCL, Davies, Holgate, Lookman, Vlasic, Kenny etc. I am similarly loathe to write off e.g. Klaassen, Sandro, Keane IF they want to work hard and fight for their places under our new staff.

Last summer we threw money around with no obvious plan in terms of team shape/playing style and ended up with a squad without a clear identity. The resultant season was a shambles and problematic for all our younger players and new (especially foreign) signings in so many ways. Koeman and Allardyce are both guilty of damaging the individual development of several players. Sometimes the players themselves contributed to their own issues.

Hopefully Brands/Silva/Unsworth will approach this summer with a clear and consistent plan about how we want to play from academy to first team. They will buy and sell in order to create a squad that better fits the planned style. Some of the players who struggled last year might fare better assuming we want to build a team that wants to press, play with tempo/high energy, emphasise fitness, power and pace (in line with both Brands and Silva’s past). Some may simply be better off elsewhere.

It will be hard to make those judgements fully in a World Cup influenced preseason so the new staff may need a season in some cases to decide. Assuming Brands/Silva are effective our youngsters (including those like Beni who are emerging) should have a better opportunity to learn, improve and develop within a more professional, supportive and better quality coaching and team environment than they had last season. If so it is then up to them to show what they can do. I think a little patience is in order under the circumstances.

It’s not hard mate, players aren’t judged over weeks or months, it’s what they produce over a period of time that defines them.

Rashford is not particularly rated as exceptional at United and he’s surprised a lot of people. He got an opportunity and done well due to injuries but is hasn’t really played well for a whilst.

He was never a stand out player in his age group and he’s now struggled for a whilst after the initial impact when he first broke through.

The fact that the argument has got to naming 4 or 5 of the world’s elite young players and only 1 English person, who I think time will show him to be better than, just to say he’s not that good actually shows how ridiculous the argument is that he’s avetage.

He is one of the best players in the world in his position. If he comes up for sale tomorrow ALL the top English clubs will be after him and I think he’ll do very well for us this season. We certainly won’t be loaning him anywhere.
Sorry mate but I disagree with a lot of this but it’s your opinion. It’s all about now for me and if you had the choice in DCL or Rashford you would pick Rashford all day long. Going on about youth stuff is an absolute waste of time. Means nothing untill they get older. Some are brilliant at that level then flop big time, others don’t and then you have the ones who weren’t as good at that level and improve.

What’s English got to do with it mate? You said one of the best and people have named numerous people are better and doing it now. You honestly saying you would have DCL over all of them? And sorry but no top English club would be after him in my opinion.

I don’t think we truly know what we do/do not have yet in DCL, Davies, Holgate, Lookman, Vlasic, Kenny etc. I am similarly loathe to write off e.g. Klaassen, Sandro, Keane IF they want to work hard and fight for their places under our new staff.

Last summer we threw money around with no obvious plan in terms of team shape/playing style and ended up with a squad without a clear identity. The resultant season was a shambles and problematic for all our younger players and new (especially foreign) signings in so many ways. Koeman and Allardyce are both guilty of damaging the individual development of several players. Sometimes the players themselves contributed to their own issues.

Hopefully Brands/Silva/Unsworth will approach this summer with a clear and consistent plan about how we want to play from academy to first team. They will buy and sell in order to create a squad that better fits the planned style. Some of the players who struggled last year might fare better assuming we want to build a team that wants to press, play with tempo/high energy, emphasise fitness, power and pace (in line with both Brands and Silva’s past). Some may simply be better off elsewhere.

It will be hard to make those judgements fully in a World Cup influenced preseason so the new staff may need a season in some cases to decide. Assuming Brands/Silva are effective our youngsters (including those like Beni who are emerging) should have a better opportunity to learn, improve and develop within a more professional, supportive and better quality coaching and team environment than they had last season. If so it is then up to them to show what they can do. I think a little patience is in order under the circumstances.

Finally, a few words of sense. (At least since I logged back in).

Everyone on the playing staff needs to be judged now from Ground Zero. Ignore last season. As a club we were a shambles, and to make decisions on, especially young, footballers based on that fiasco would be daft.

Let Brands and whoever run the rule over them, if they havnt already done so, and act accordingly.

Thing is though I don’t think people are slagging him off. We just see him for what he currently is, which is average. He could still massively improve, I am not quite sure but hope I am wrong. But some people are going on like he is some world beater, saying he is one of the best at his age in his position which he certainly isn’t. As let’s be honest would you start him next season? The answer would be no especially when we sign some players as well. He needs to go out on loan for a season and see how he gets on.

This is what I said. A year in the champ would see him right I think

This summer needs to be the summer last year should have been. We nee to improve the defence but also have more speed and creativity going forward. The amount of players this realistically is will be 5 plus a new manager and system makes next season more of development season than a closing the gap to the current top 5. Arsenal willie in the same boat (plus they need a keeper) so their position is the target.

I'd not look at anyone from a relegated team, I wouldn't look at players from Holland for this window. I'd forgot what Man Unired are discarding but - depending on budgets;

Memphis Depay has now rebuilt his confidence and will add pace and goals. Pay him more than he can get in France.

Maguire from Leicester - now in the England squad - will want a higher profile club.

Lascelles and Shelvey - take advantage of Newcastle's mess

They could all be reasonable targets to help the upgrade.
I want Shelvey nowhere near this club. Can’t stand and not good enough.

Maguire is unlikely to think the move is as great as we do, and though I do like him it would take to much money to pry him from Leicester....

It is foolish to say he’s bang average when he’s one of the best players in the world, for his age, in his position.

In fact it’s absurd thing to say.

He’s a kid who all the managers who work with him rate. He’s going to be a top player.
I like Dom a lot man, but one of the best in the world for his age, c'mon champ. Go have some coco pops with Corona, cause that's fair dinkum wack.

I think it’s fair to say if you take out firmino, sane, Salah, Henderson. They will be severely weaken.

Same arguement if we sign tierney, Kluivert, lozano,carvalho they probably struggle to beat us if we take out their afroemention players.

The point is, when do we decide to try and sign the next level players? Do we tell ourselves we’re still not good enough and wait for another season or do we try to start matching them this tramsfer window onwards?

I think that’s the point @Deco is trying to put forward.
Take out like hire some of Uzmanovs more shady associates...? Elsewise I’m guessing they will still be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back