Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
This summer needs to be the summer last year should have been. We nee to improve the defence but also have more speed and creativity going forward. The amount of players this realistically is will be 5 plus a new manager and system makes next season more of development season than a closing the gap to the current top 5. Arsenal willie in the same boat (plus they need a keeper) so their position is the target.

I'd not look at anyone from a relegated team, I wouldn't look at players from Holland for this window. I'd forgot what Man Unired are discarding but - depending on budgets;

Memphis Depay has now rebuilt his confidence and will add pace and goals. Pay him more than he can get in France.

Maguire from Leicester - now in the England squad - will want a higher profile club.

Lascelles and Shelvey - take advantage of Newcastle's mess

They could all be reasonable targets to help the upgrade.

These are all really good and realistic shouts mate. You are also bang on the money on the positions and type of player the squad needs improving. I know exactly where you are coming from.

Don’t be turned off by others disagreeing or mocking your shouts, this thread is full of lads that shoot posts down and won’t put there own cahoonas on the line by making a shout.

Last edited:
He is a rare sort mate a deep lying playmaker. I’d like to think we could could go for a more reliable player in that role but they are scarce on the ground.

Shelvy is a very very talented player, his problem is consistency, temprement and application in my opinion, but a very talented player none the less.
Ah well we may as well bring in Joey Barton then

who? 175k pw?! how is a paying an absurd amount to a player thats playing second fiddle at liverpool going to help us beat liverpool? or push for top 6? we wouldnt even pay lukaku more than 120k

We pay Rooney more or less that. Well not second fiddle, I meant more that he wouldn’t be the main man there.

Shelvey is an absolute beaut but no one can argue that he wouldn’t have been a massive improvement on the dross we watched in the centre of the park for us for the season just gone.

The fact is that if we can pay Rooney the supposed 150-200k pw that we do, we could attract 99% of players.

Despite the fairly common misconception, players tend not to go to a club based purely on who will pay them the most money. They will look at the level the club operate at - Champions League, Europe League etc. They will gauge who the manager in. They will determine whether the club is a shambles. Then they'll make a decision.

Regrettably we won't be able to attract first team players from top tier clubs. They'll stay for the kudos and the European football.

Squad players at these sides? More likely targets. But then we (the fans) suddenly begin with the "Oh, if he's not good enough for them, why would he be good enough for us?"

Until Everton as a club prove that they are in a position to provide these top tier players both the football they want and the possibility of trophies that they desire - we're unlikely to get them. The odd one may fall our way due to historic relationships, or a stroke of luck, but we're shopping for prospects, unheralded Europeans, the cast offs from the big clubs or the better players from our peers (the hugely over-inflated transfer fees we see between English clubs).

£150k to £200k helps, but it doesn't suddenly make us a desirable destination.

Despite the fairly common misconception, players tend not to go to a club based purely on who will pay them the most money. They will look at the level the club operate at - Champions League, Europe League etc. They will gauge who the manager in. They will determine whether the club is a shambles. Then they'll make a decision.

Regrettably we won't be able to attract first team players from top tier clubs. They'll stay for the kudos and the European football.

Squad players at these sides? More likely targets. But then we (the fans) suddenly begin with the "Oh, if he's not good enough for them, why would he be good enough for us?"

Until Everton as a club prove that they are in a position to provide these top tier players both the football they want and the possibility of trophies that they desire - we're unlikely to get them. The odd one may fall our way due to historic relationships, or a stroke of luck, but we're shopping for prospects, unheralded Europeans, the cast offs from the big clubs or the better players from our peers (the hugely over-inflated transfer fees we see between English clubs).

£150k to £200k helps, but it doesn't suddenly make us a desirable destination.

Sad but true. Throwing money at mercenaries is not the answer!

We want to become the side that young talented players want to join because we give them an opportunity and we play good, attractive football. That way we can attract the top young talent.

We’ve gone away from this in recent years.

...Schalke Forward, Donis Avdijaj linked.
Media jarg. Imagine going from a DCL who you've spent 2 years developing and is physically fit for the premier league and replacing him with that... seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back