Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually fine if we can’t get sessegnon. I’m just thinking we’re foolish to get rose and contribute to fund spurs sessegnon purchase.

28years old
TOP 4 reject
They use 37m to offset sessegnon and end up getting rid of some players non needed as well.

Might as well we get sessegnon.
Fair, but if Rose goes for 37M, don't ya think Sessegnon goes for a LOT more? If you think Sessengon is going for 40M, then we should be able to get Rose at like 20M. I wouldn't go for Rose, either, as I think there are plenty of LBs all over the place that could do a job here. Sessegnon is also not a LB, either, think he's a winger or wingback.

You talk sense at times which is why I dont but you then go and let yourself down with some insane post about fielding an under 19 side full of Ajax and Anderlecht signings and its a hard read.

Well...theres some contributing factors;

A-- Weve seen with martinez that having a squad which doesnt suit the style of play doesnt work.

B-- Weve seen that buying random players at inflated fees under koeman doesnt work.

C-- Looking at City, theyve specifically targeted u23 players of top quality and who fit the system and style of play. Huge amounts of money spent on individuals but those who can contribute as individual cogs of a machine.

D-- We can finish 8th despite having a shambles of a season. This shows that we could rebuild the side rapidly with a new style of play and new system and still finish in this, or around this position.

E-- Unless we are going to splash out on 4 or 5 big money signings (like rose at spurs) to eat out transfer budget and wages we need to follow a pragmatic approach.

This means looking at certain players approaching or around 30 years old and replacing them with long term signings who are u23 (same as City).

Likewise binning off the players who dont suit the system or who may be replaced at a profit for a more suited player.

For example, Robles is off on a free and Stekelenburg is dire. If we need to spend £6mil on the 19 year old keeper who has been linked (already been fully capped) so that position is covered with him and Pickford then that makes logical sense.

Coleman and Kenny are fine for right back but then on the left and centre theres only Holgate who can play a high defensive line..so should Brands then spend £50mil+ on 26-30 year old superstars to come in OR is it better to sign u23 players and mould them into top players -- for the system?

Even Walcott and Sigurdsson although good players in the short term...they dont add huge value for a team who can finish outside the top 4.

Id argue that its sensible to move on as much as possible and invest in potentially top players to fit the system and then once theyre in place add in 3 super signings to add some class.

If lets say in 2 seasons we had 7 very good above average top 6 level u23 outfield players (all signed at u21 age or thereabouts). Then we added 3 top class £50mil signings (which is possible due to the money saved) we'd be able to push for top 4.

That has to be the strategy i think and what brands has intimated.

Ive seen him for Swansea (2 stints) hoffenheim, reading and iceland and like him as a player.

If you truly believe hes one of the best one touch passers youve ever seen then you need to watch more games.

Not worth anything close to the fee paid + can sign far better with £35mil fee.

For iceland hes played centre midfield a lot...hes also played there for hoffenheim and reading too...hence him saying he wanted to play there or ACM when at spurs.

Guess what? He can compete for a place in CM or be out of the side in 12months (when his value will be nothing like it is now).

So you gonna acknowledge that you are wrong about the scoring out of the box thing, or do you think Dowell should still give him lessons?

I see you are now backing off the box-to-box concept at least. Now he's just a CM that sounds like could be a deeper sitting playmaker. Those are kinda different things but yeah, fine with him playing a bit more in the center of the midfield and distributing to our forwards, especially if we improve over Bolaise or play Lookman or both.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a Top 4 push or a Top 8 push - Walcott is still really good and was worth the purchase.

I know you love young players but you do realise it the come here and play well, we’ll only end up selling them?
That's not necessarily a BAD thing. And if we were better and in Europe or contenting for trophies, fewer would leave and THAT's the point. Until we change perceptions and convince more players that we are a top 6 side like we were years ago, they won't come here.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a Top 4 push or a Top 8 push - Walcott is still really good and was worth the purchase.

I know you love young players but you do realise it the come here and play well, we’ll only end up selling them?

Walcott is 'really good' under what barometer? You mean for a below the top 6 side?

So you gonna acknowledge that you are wrong about the scoring out of the box thing, or do you think Dowell should still give him lessons?

I see you are now backing off the box-to-box concept at least. Now he's just a CM that sounds like could be a deeper sitting playmaker. Those are kinda different things but yeah, fine with him playing a bit more in the center of the midfield and distributing to our forwards, especially if we improve over Bolaise or play Lookman or both.

Sigurdsson has scored (if im not wrong) one or 2 goals outside of the box on average per season in the premier league...or his career, cant remember exactly...its not 5 a season like the star playmakers achieve from range.

In a silva team he typically plays a DM and a box to box CM. There is no sitting playmaker...sigurdsson has an engine and can play the CM role as hes a good all rounder...he shouldnt be higher up the pitch imo as theres more deadly players around and those already on the books who can take his place over the season.

I dont see where he fits im 12 months time...him and walcott on the bench or sold.

That's not necessarily a BAD thing. And if we were better and in Europe or contenting for trophies, fewer would leave and THAT's the point. Until we change perceptions and convince more players that we are a top 6 side like we were years ago, they won't come here.

I’d rather get a guaranteed 2 good seasons from Walcott than 2 possibly good and if too good they get sold seasons from kids.

I’d rather get a guaranteed 2 good seasons from Walcott than 2 possibly good and if too good they get sold seasons from kids.

To take it to the extreme...1 good kid being sold like a Dembele to Barca brings in so much cash brsnds could sign 3 more with the funds and not need to sell anyone else...its a business model

Walcott is short term.

Like eff Zat watched Gylfi at Hoffenheim lol

Actually i was quite taken with sigurdsson in his early years in england...fits the profile of the sort of player we needed for many years...

You could watch pretty much any football in tokyo and singapore back then...

But Zat, City dont buy young players and then sell their older 1s.

Which is what your suggesting.

They buy young players to compliment their older 1s.

So by all means buy yoots.

But that doesnt mean we sell everybody over 25. You just want to sell everybody so we can field a team of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back