Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the twitter guy has made it up.

Still though, Tosun + another senior striker with DCL and Abraham being developed means good depth.

Never know with Abraham...his value must have halved playing for Swansea this season...was a machine at Bristol.

It doesn’t sound implausible though, and isn’t the first time we have been linked to him.

I’d rather go into the season with tosun, Niasse and dcl. If we signed another top quality striker then I’d begrudgingly accept Niasse being sold, but I also feel a loan may help DCL more.

We also have Walcott who can play as a striker. Just don’t think Abraham is needed, regardless of if Niasse leaves or not.

Don’t think we will be signing a striker anyway, as other areas are much more important considering the forward players we already have.

I think the twitter guy has made it up.

Still though, Tosun + another senior striker with DCL and Abraham being developed means good depth.

Never know with Abraham...his value must have halved playing for Swansea this season...was a machine at Bristol.

Abraham was terrible this season tbh.

Still scored more league goals than DCL mind..

Some reports in Hollands claiming we’re in for him and we’re being close to conclude the deal.

I would like to believe that, but it doesnt make sense for him. If he has a brilliant World Cup, there will be more interest for sure.
Couldn’t you also just say if he gets injured or plays poorly he’d want to have it wrapped up going in? Kind of like an insurance policy where youre guaranteed your 90k/week or whatever. Regardless of a good cup, he’s likely not going to improve the pay pack much.

Brands needs to deliver younger players from Europe and further afield that won't come with a premium we have to pay for domestic players. If we are to build a sustainable model, 80% of signings from now on shouldn't be any older than 24-25 at most. We can make exceptions in exceptional circumstances, mostly where there is value for a free transfer or loan, or where a bigger fee could be justified. Even then I would keep that type of signing down to about 1 in every 5 at most, and no more than 2 or 3 players over 30 in a starting XI.

If we are looking at markets like Portugal or Holland for example, the better players yet to move abroad will all be under 23 anyway, its generally a red flag if they are still there when they're older. Same applies for South America.

Walsh objectively failed at this, and I doubt if there was ever a policy of any description. In addition to relative youth, we need as much pace, height, athleticism, and positional flexibility as we can get. Obviously we need guile and creativity as well, but those signings are few and far between, which is an oddity for elite-level professional football.

That, and they need to be ready for the first-team immediately. I don't buy into the idea that players need 12 months to settle. Good players, brought in under a rigorous scouting system, and without the confusion inherent under Walsh, shouldn't need that length of transition.

We can still buy teenage players for the U-23s but we don't have the luxury this summer of buying anyone for the first-team squad that warms the bench, or disappears into relative obscurity after a few weeks.

A tall ask for Brands, but that's his mandate. Our budget will quickly evaporate otherwise. But that's a three year objective, he can't be expected to radically overhaul the squad within the first window.

Abraham is a no from me. He might be good in a few years but we need ready to go now.
Do we though? Id love to compete right away but it seems we’re at the point where buying and building through young talent makes the most sense. There are no quick fixes for the now. Were just too far behind for that to work. I don’t like Abraham, but the concept signing talented youth with high potential seems exactly what we should be doing to try and teach them a system and have an actual go in a couple years.

Similarly he could have a poor world cup and the type of contract money etc we'd offer won't be on the table for him afterwards.

For the player, his agent and us it's a logical move, player takes next step agent gets a big wedge and we get a good player.

Ultimately from all three it'd be seen as s stepping stone for an even bigger move in 2-3 years time which again would see all three get a massive payout.
Fair, but his skill and intelligence makes for a very consistent player. He’s not like your typical winger that sometimes beats their man, sometimes does not. Mexico are also a passing team without tremendous size or speed per usual. He will look good me thinks. Their group is tough, but I guess he’ll have to deal with Kimmich and Lustig for Germany and Sweden if he plays out left.

Of course, I have a feeling the same thing could happen to Lucas Torriera with Uruguay.

Do we though? Id love to compete right away but it seems we’re at the point where buying and building through young talent makes the most sense. There are no quick fixes for the now. Were just too far behind for that to work. I don’t like Abraham, but the concept signing talented youth with high potential seems exactly what we should be doing to try and teach them a system and have an actual go in a couple years.

Yeah we do.

It doesn’t sound implausible though, and isn’t the first time we have been linked to him.

I’d rather go into the season with tosun, Niasse and dcl. If we signed another top quality striker then I’d begrudgingly accept Niasse being sold, but I also feel a loan may help DCL more.

We also have Walcott who can play as a striker. Just don’t think Abraham is needed, regardless of if Niasse leaves or not.

Don’t think we will be signing a striker anyway, as other areas are much more important considering the forward players we already have.

Its a new era...we dont really know yet whats 'needed'...

Abraham was terrible this season tbh.

Still scored more league goals than DCL mind..

He is younger as well. And played in a team that got relegated. Swap the two of them.

Both aren't good enough

Abraham is 20 years old...DCL is 21.

Can you think of 3 players in the premier league of that age consistently playing and scoring?

Brands needs to deliver younger players from Europe and further afield that won't come with a premium we have to pay for domestic players. If we are to build a sustainable model, 80% of signings from now on shouldn't be any older than 24-25 at most. We can make exceptions in exceptional circumstances, mostly where there is value for a free transfer or loan, or where a bigger fee could be justified. Even then I would keep that type of signing down to about 1 in every 5 at most, and no more than 2 or 3 players over 30 in a starting XI.

If we are looking at markets like Portugal or Holland for example, the better players yet to move abroad will all be under 23 anyway, its generally a red flag if they are still there when they're older. Same applies for South America.

Walsh objectively failed at this, and I doubt if there was ever a policy of any description. In addition to relative youth, we need as much pace, height, athleticism, and positional flexibility as we can get. Obviously we need guile and creativity as well, but those signings are few and far between, which is an oddity for elite-level professional football.

That, and they need to be ready for the first-team immediately. I don't buy into the idea that players need 12 months to settle. Good players, brought in under a rigorous scouting system, and without the confusion inherent under Walsh, shouldn't need that length of transition.

We can still buy teenage players for the U-23s but we don't have the luxury this summer of buying anyone for the first-team squad that warms the bench, or disappears into relative obscurity after a few weeks.

A tall ask for Brands, but that's his mandate. Our budget will quickly evaporate otherwise. But that's a three year objective, he can't be expected to radically overhaul the squad within the first window.

I think we will fill the bench with u21s who by season end will have racked up a huge amount of game time and ousted some first teamers to the bench...and then sold.

Abraham is a no from me. He might be good in a few years but we need ready to go now.

Why? Were not finishing top 4.

We didn't bring Brands in so we could sign Tammy (what a dreadful name) Abraham

Isnt it Tommy in American lol

Lozano is the one we all really want

Indeed ;)

I think we'll see a few left field young signings we probably dont rate but can play the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back