Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we all knew a centre forward and the defence was a priority, however we plodded on collecting midfielders and spending half our budget on one player. I don’t think a week before the start of the season, ANYONE was convinced we were anywhere near ready.

Even without any new additions we should be performing better just on this alone. We played half a season with any decent striker (Tosen) and pace in attack (Walcott). There was no way we were ready.

Most important thing is that the 3-4 additions that we'll likely make are all first-team ready, and players who will improve us and fit into the system.

The other priority is stripping this squad down. Need 9-10 outs at least.

10 outs seems easy, doubt any other clubs in the Prem have this problem, last one’s I can think of was Aston Villa or Spurs before they sorted themselves out.

We let ourselves go, badly.

Don't think there's something wrong with his attitude. He's under a big pressure due to Barcelona's latest transfer policy (and failings) and he's the fans scapegoat.

Mind you Overmars, Petit, Mendieta, Quaresma all didn't live up to expectations at Camp Nou. Same with Cassano, Kaka, Anelka at Madrid.

Requelme didn't make it at Barca and he was unreal

Can't we just throw 30m at Fulham for Sessegnon ffs. He'll be a superstar. Potential to be as good as Bale. Dangle the dough and see if they bite. Could sort out left back position for over the next decade.

TBF though they'd probably not sell for less than double that, which is fair enough when you see what other English players go for, namely Michael Keane for 30m who isn't even a footballer.

Can see Carvalho dragging. It's the same reason Napoli withdrawn their interest in Rui Patricio, they wouldn't want to mess with FIFA and their governement bodies due to the complicated contractual situation. TBH I hope we just pay a nominal fee for him and Sporting will let him go, but their president is apparently mental so he's not an easy guy to deal with.

Andre Gomes is an interesting one. He was brilliant at Valencia and he's very universal midfielder, exactly what we need IMO. He can defend, drive with the ball forward and his passing is a joy to behold. If we manage to sign him, it would be great piece of business.

Gomes would also seem to mesh a bit better than Carvalho who seems a bit more defensively inclined. Imagine Gana, Gomes, Sigurdsson, with Lozano, Walcott, and Tosun. Not bad. Brands wants a better passing team? He’d get it.

10 outs seems easy, doubt any other clubs in the Prem have this problem, last one’s I can think of was Aston Villa or Spurs before they sorted themselves out.

We let ourselves go, badly.

I think 10 outs could be quite difficult tbf

We've got some big earners that will have to be willing to take a cut, most likely.

We're in the unenviable position of having to sell to clubs lower than our standing, which means players are more likely to be less willing to move as the wages are likely to be lower.

After what Silva said to the Echo, my guess is that we get 5 decent players.

Probably:

A left-back
Centre half
Central midfielder - probably Willt C
A winger - possibly even two depending on Lookman’s decision
Striker
Not good enough for center mid that C, need a proper ball player

5 signings

One player to block opposition blammos
One player to create the blammos and sometimes also score them
Three players to score the blammos
Got a man that can do the lot

image.webp

Gomes would also seem to mesh a bit better than Carvalho who seems a bit more defensively inclined. Imagine Gana, Gomes, Sigurdsson, with Lozano, Walcott, and Tosun. Not bad. Brands wants a better passing team? He’d get it.

Gomes is okay. If he could recover his Valencia form he'd be a superb signing.

Thing is, though, is he isn't really the box-to-box powerhouse that Silva likes to have in his team.

Neither is Carvalho, tbf, although he would offer the physical presence we lack in the middle of the park.

Can't we just throw 30m at Fulham for Sessegnon ffs. He'll be a superstar. Potential to be as good as Bale. Dangle the dough and see if they bite. Could sort out left back position for over the next decade.

TBF though they'd probably not sell for less than double that, which is fair enough when you see what other English players go for, namely Michael Keane for 30m who isn't even a footballer.

We'd have to throw much more than £30m I think mate

They're in the Prem and even if they go down have no need to recoup the money because they'll have parachute payments

He'll likely stay there next season and move on in 2019

I think 10 outs could be quite difficult tbf

We've got some big earners that will have to be willing to take a cut, most likely.

We're in the unenviable position of having to sell to clubs lower than our standing, which means players are more likely to be less willing to move as the wages are likely to be lower.

Oh I accept it will be difficult. Just pointing out how bad it is that we have so many players that contribute nothing at all.

Loans with us taking on wages seems the best we can hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back